Kitten-Filled YouTube Mocks T-Mobile’s $629 Foot-Dragging

Graham’s cellphone got stolen at a New Year’s party. In the next 13 hours, someone racked up $629 in charges to Algeria. When he called T-Mobile customer service for a refund, he just kept getting the runaround.

So obviously Graham’s next logical step was to make a nearly incomprehensible youtube cartoon with kittens, a hiphop sock puppet, and a sad and misunderstood megacorp glob.

Fast forward to about 2:30 to see the story get going (all you need to know is that there’s a kitten dying of TB and he’s got a t-mobile cellphone).

Graham has promised a part two, hopefully it will include more documentary evidence, and more kittens. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. dawime says:

I feel your pain. Another wonderful thing T-mobile does is charge you 0.10c per text message you receive (without a text message plan). When I inquired as to the possibility of blocking text messages (since I do not use or receive them), I was told it was *impossible*. When asked about a scenario where I receive several messages, the rep told me I could reverse the charges, but the only way to stop them from occuring would be to CHANGE MY PHONE NUMBER!

Yay T-mobile. Coverage=good; Customer Service=Bad

2. No kitten comments?

3. JT says:

I want my click back.

4. timmus says:

How soon did he call T-Mobile about the lost cell phone? I question whether T-Mobile owes him anything on usage before the theft is reported, since it isn’t their fault. Maybe discounting the rate to remove the profit margin would be a fair compromise.

5. JT says:

OMG! the Tmobile megacorp blob = The Wumpus

… if anyone here remembers the old game Hunt the Wumpus.

6. LeopardSeal says:

That was both well done and entertainingly satirical. I look forward to part 2.

7. B says:

That video annoyed me, because it felt like the kitten-protagonist was playing up his status as an orphan and somebody suffering from a deadly disease in order to get sympathy. I don’t see how those facts are relevant to the case.

8. saury316 says:

he sounds like Homestar Runner…lol

9. Scully says:

Here is the T Mobile ‘support’contact form to email them:
    Hmmm, maybe if enough of us copy the link to this page and email it to them….
    Oh but that wouldn’t be nice. ;-)

10. a_m_m_b says:

Not the 1st time tmobile’s pulled this sort of garbage. In a foolish attempt to cut down monthly cell phone expenses, I had my husband add an extra phone & myself to his t-mobile. The phone failed to perform as advertised so we returned it within the grace period. Someone at the store racked up $400 in d/ls and tmobile tried to stick us with the bill. After many calls where we got ping-ponged from random managers to fraud department reps to store staff & back without permanent corrections, we finally contacted our state’s attorney general’s office. They contacted tmobile and were able to fix the problem.

11. lilyofthevalley says:

If your cell phone gets stolen, you have to call right away. You can’t ask a company to just credit some usage that you say “you didn’t do.” There would be many people getting credits on usage they said “they didn’t do” when they actually did. Its a fair policy.

And a_m_m_b: Your situation wasn’t your fault but I want people to know that in the future, when you return phones under buyer’s remorse, call your cell phone company and and cancel the line yourself. Never trust a dealer to do it… and only do business with direct dealers.

12. ohmeohmy says:

lilyofthevalley, this doesn’t strike me as an outright fair policy, it strikes me as a gray-area situation where neither party is completely at fault. A FAIR policy, I suppose, would be to split the bill between the customer and the company, considering cell phone minutes are a pretty intangible commodity. Furthermore, why should providers of such an intangible, so easily stolen commodity be able to completely call the shots of what is and what isn’t a fair policy? Sure, there is a contractual obligation upon signing, but seriously, these contracts get so interpreted and reinterpreted and generally seem to exist to serve only the interest of the company. Truth is, whether or not this sort of thing is fair, the only party throwing down the hammer of justice is the cell phone company itself, without penalty or possible legal repercussion. So, what incentive do they really have to actually be fair? Personal responsibility is nice and certainly necessary, but people make mistakes. Using a cell phone should NOT carry such a heavy risk factor.

So maybe T-mobile should research some sort of measure to address this problem more thoroughly, that is, if they care about their customers. And what of international calling? Why in the hell is there no auto-security for that?

And really, what kind of customer is throwing down hundreds of dollars on inexplicable international calls anyway? Why go through the trouble? T-mobile knows full well of the risk, but the judicial position, like with everything else these days, is to make money.

13. rtanderson2 says:

If you read through the terms and conditions for T-Mobile, you can see that all usage up until the phone is reported as lost/stollen is the customers responsibility. However, there is an option (I have had to do this because I suffered from the same problem several months ago) to block all international calls for free. All you have to do is call in and request that they put international call blocking on your account and it is done. It totally sucks that this happened, but I have found with most ANY service provider (credit card, cell phone, cable company, whatever) that if you drop the “cancel” word, they tend to have a little more desire to adjust an account.