Help Consumerist Get A Job With IDT Energy

We want to get our intern a job as a door to door salesman with IDT Energy, the energy reseller that’s scamming New Yorkers into switching over from ConEd.

Unlike hundreds of scumbags, we can’t figure out how to do it. We called IDT and they told us to look for job listing on Craigslist. We applied our best Craig-fu and didn’t turn up anything. Maybe they’re just not hiring right now.

If anyone spots an online listing for a door-to-door salesman with IDT Energy in the New York metro area, drop us a line at tips at consumerist dot com so we can proceed with our insertion. — BEN POPKEN

Previously: IDT Energy tag

Comments

1. phloighd says:

What a great idea, good luck guys

2. bookcat says:

they list an e-mail address on their official website. I say just e-mail a resume and cover letter straight there. No amount of craigsearching seems to find anything, though.

3. acambras says:

What an awesome idea!

But I hope you didn’t tip your hand by announcing the scheme. (:-(

4. Paul D says:

ooooo!

An undercover job.
    How very 21 Jump Street…

Watch your ass, Nameless Red-Shirted Intern*; don’t blow your cover. People that unscrupulous are capable of anything.

* You know…like Star Trek.

5. homerjay says:

I’d be surprised if they don’t keep an occassional eye on this site- not to mention the fact that it always comes up pretty high on Google searches.

Maybe you need to hire another free intern- so as not to tip them off to the two we already know about.

6. popeye_doyle says:

Be careful. A reporter who got a job in a supermarket in CA to report on bad meat was successfully sued by the grocery chain.

7. crayonshinobi says:

I would suggest posting a resume on Monster or Careerbuilder. I did this awhile back and was deluged with phonecalls and emails from people who had “great business opportunities” etc.

8. Paul D says:

@popeye_doyle

I’m not familiar with that case, though I don’t doubt it happened.

But I would hazard a guess that it had more to do with the reporter lying on his/her application about something important like address, SSN, etc. To my knowledge, there’s no law against working somewhere just to find out more about their business, regardless of your motives.

9. homerjay says:

Popeye, do you have any details of the suit?

10. crown victor victoria - no star, no problem says:

I stumbled across them at a job fair in NYC years ago. It was after 9/11 and they had a huge job fair expo at madison square garden. I handed out 40 or 50 copies of my resume that day, usually not caring who I was giving them to.

IDT calls me up a few days later, makes it sound like it’s a one-on-one interview for a managerial position and reveals very little details about who they are or what they do. I needed a job and wasn’t at the point where I cared who I might be working for, so I said I’d come in. I show up at the place (some stanky rented room in a building somewhere on 30th street) it’s a room full of people and folding chairs and some joker going on and on about how great IDT’s system is and how it works. The guy actually drew a pyramid on the white board at one point, explaining that others you enlist are “earning money for you.” I decide this is not for me.

There was a 5 minute break after that and I went to leave, not wanting any more of their snake oil. Some of their goons got in my way and tried to convince me not to leave. One guy even rode down in the elevator with me.

Creeps.

11. Paul D says:

@Tyler
    The guy actually drew a pyramid on the white board…

Oh my god.
    It’s one of those. That makes them even smarmier. Pyramid schemes like that are borderline illegal anyway, and they do not work as advertised. The only people who make money are the ones at the very top. Many of them generate revenue by selling “instructional sales videos” and materials at outlandish prices.

I got suckered into an interview for one that turned out to be an offshoot of Amway. I skeedaddled in a hurry when I figured it out.

12. dantsea says:

Since they’re a sleazy sales operation, make sure you recognize all the signs of a Craiglsist ad placed by sleazy salespeople.

Such companies rarely mention their names or products in help wanted ads. Companies like IDT need suckers on both sides of the counter to survive and even most people desperate for a job would avoid an ad reading along the lines of “Sell electricity door to door!”

You want to look for ads that include text such as:

Apply today, start today!
    We’re looking for xx men and women to work in an energetic environment!
    Enjoy what you do! Set your own hours!

…and so on. At the end of the ad will be an invitation to call “[insert fake first name here]” and that’s it. No mention of the product, no mention of the company name.

Good luck.

13. crown victor victoria - no star, no problem says:

@ Paul D
    Oh my god.
    It’s one of those.

Yes, it is. They even went as far as to claim that they had made some guy in Florida into a millionaire with the system. There to speak (on his behalf I guess) was one of FLA millionaire’s “top captains.” He went on and on about how you could sit back and do nothing if you were good at networking, but of course he was on his feet every day bringing more people on board. Suuuuure.

While I found the compounded earnings scheme to be reprehensible enough, I thought it was worse that they were preying on unemployed people at a post 9/11 job fair. And I’m talking mid-October of 2001. Don’t remember exactly when it was.

14. rubberpants says:

This isn’t one of those shady pyramid schemes you’ve been hearing about. Our model is the trapezoid, which guarantees each investor an eight-hundred percent return within hours of your initial…oh no, it’s the cops! Ahhhhh!