Cingular Adds 2.4 Million New Customers

From Reuters:

Cingular said it added 2.4 million new customers in the quarter, compared with an average estimate of 1.62 million from 10 analysts contacted by Reuters.
    Profit rose to $782 million from $204 million a year earlier. Revenue rose 10.2 percent to $9.8 billion.

Run! AT&T is taking over.

Cingular’s outlook is pretty rosy lately.We wonder how much of an effect the iPhone will have on drawing new customers? And if Cingular can keep all these new customers happy….—MEGHANN MARCO

Cingular quarterly profit surges on new customers [Reuters]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I wonder how much (if any) effect those “free in network calling” offers have on the number of Cingular users. Would you really pick a cell phone company based on the company of those you call frequently? I wouldn’t, as my plan has always had enough minutes per month to cover my calling, regardless of who I call. I could understand getting the same company as your family, to take advantage of a family plan.

But, if in a few years, the vast majority of people have Cingular, it would make sense for someone to sign up with them as to have free calling to most people with cell phones.

Maybe at that point, they might even increase the fee for calling out of network. That would be pretty agressive of them.

2. What’s going to become of Consumerist’s Cingular-dude-screwed logo once it’s all AT&T? How bittersweet.

3. shoegazer says:

I don’t mind Cingular all that much. They had good coverage on the East Coast and a $20 Motorola phone that came with $10 credit and a “free calls to Cingular” value plan – which was a lifesaver; miles better than paying at least $2.30 a minute for every roaming call I made with my UK carrier.

4. kerry says:

I know people that chose Cingular because their friends and/or family were already on the network and they wanted to call them for free (once, a couple years back, I got a brief call from a friend moving back to our area: “Hey Kerry, you’re on Cingular, right?” “Yeah.” “Great.” *click*). Personally, I don’t make enough phone calls for it to matter, and I’ve never come close to use all 300 of my anytime minutes, so I wouldn’t bother caring who was on which network. Others, however, talk lots and want to save money wherever they can.
    That said, the T-Mobile “my faves” thing is a pretty solid solution and might win them some love from people who don’t want to make switching choices based on what network their friends use.

5. Coldstarer says:

I don’t want to sound like an idiot, but I swear my Cingular service has improved since the (re)merger. This is interesting since I can also swear that my service was MUCH better on ATT Wireless than it was on Cingular.

6. kerry says:

@Ted’s Famous -
    I propose an AT&T globe reshaped to look like a butt with a screw in it. I’ll see if I can mock one up on my lunch break.

7. badgeman46 says:

Its really like deja-vu all over again. After being broken up by the FCC for being a monopoly, it seems like AT&T is gobbling up everything and reforming into its old fat, bloated, monopolistic self!

8. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Ahh man my Cingular phone just stopped saying AT&T Wireless last month now its going to go back? But I did notice that when it switched from Displaying AT&T to Cingular me reception and call quality nosedived…

9. Jobeleca says:

Coldstarer, your experience has more to do with our upgrading our towers to 3G and more powerful antennas than anything to do with the merger :)

Nemesis, I shouldn’t really say this since I’m a Cingular employee and I don’t know this as fact, but I strongly suspect that when we bought AT&T Wireless they stopped maintaining their towers, and we didn’t maintain em since we planned on replacing them in 2006 anyway (which was completed in October 2006).

And the way this’ll really boost this company is that for the past year, Verizon and us have had roughly the same number of people you could call unlimited to (not going to quibble about our having a few million people more, as a percentage it’s small) but with the new merger, people who get the Unity plan can now call nearly SIX TIMES as many people unlimited as Verizon customers can.