Illinois Attorney General Sues Cell Phone Txt Msg Spammers

We hate cell phone text message spammers! Hate! Not only sending txt spam annoying, it’s illegal. That’s why the Illinois Attorney General and Cingular are suing the hell out of two Floridians who sent some 5 million txt messages to cell phone users all over the US, prompting more than 200 complaints in Illinois. The messages encouraged recipients to visit a website selling a time-share property.
From the State Journal-Register:

“As far as we know, this is the first lawsuit by a state attorney general to try to sue someone who tried to send unsolicited text messages,” said Elizabeth Blackston, an assistant state attorney general with the office’s consumer fraud bureau….
    Blackston said the defendants haven’t been served, and she couldn’t predict how much money the state might collect.

“We asked for what we’re allowed to ask for under the Consumer Fraud Act,” Blackston said. “We do not know about the assets of the defendants.”

We applaud Illinois for taking this seriously. Txt msg spam is annoying and expensive. —MEGHANN MARCO

Suspected cell phone spammers sued [SJ-R]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

The worst part about txt msg spam is when you get it at 3am.

*buzz*buzz* What woke me up? What is that? Someone sent me a message? Is something wrong? Is it a drunk ex-girlfriend? Oh…nope…an offer for ring tones. :(

2. Will anyone ever get around to suing the fax spammers? I’m so tired of throwing away reams of paper and ink thanks to these douchebags.

3. This is why I would cheerfully bear Lisa Madigan’s lesbian love child.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Hmm, I never even thought about Fax spam. That must be damn annoying.

5. KesCaesar says:

Amen! I love you, corrupt Illinois government! I’m not on a text plan, so when I receive a spam text, it *costs*. At least email spam is FREE.

6. juri squared says:

See, you keep calling us the “sucker state,” but our AG is really super-keen on keeping her job by doing stuff like this for the little guy. Hooray for Lisa Madigan!

7. That must be damn annoying.

Oh yeah. It costs you money (like text message spam) and if you can’t afford not to turn off your fax there’s nothing you can do about it.

8. AcilletaM says:

About time.

9. timmus says:

I wonder how long before someone uses cell phone spam as revenge. Did XYZ Timeshare Corp dick Man A over? Man A sends out a bunch of spam puporting to be them, and the state or feds go after XYZ Corp. Seems plausible… who’s going to follow the entire IP mess to offshore servers?

10. pestie says:

Is text message spamming as annoying as referring to it as “txt msg” spam? I don’t know, that’s a tough call…

The only text message spam I get is from my cell phone provider, Sprint. Those fuckers. I even called them and told them to stop sending them, as their “opt out” feature wouldn’t work for me (I had to text something to make it stop, but my phone can only receive text messages, not send them). They promised they’d stop, but a few months later it started again.

Junk faxing is even worse, especially when some company has your home voice phone number and mistakenly thinks it’s a fax line. And they send their junk faxes out at 3:00am. Yeah, that’s what I like – getting woken up in the dead of night by a fax machine. I got so sick of this that I finally connected a fax machine to that line just to find out who kept trying to fax me, and it was a junk fax. GAAAH!!! This was years ago and I can’t remember for sure, but I might have reported that one to the FCC’s junk fax people.

On a vaguely related note, my old phone number used to be very close to a local pizza place’s order line, and this was in a college town, so I’d often get calls from one or two people who consistently misdialed. At first I told them they had the wrong number, but I kept getting the calls. When that didn’t work, I just started taking orders and telling them to pick it up in about 30 minutes. Heh… That put a stop to it pretty quickly.

11. Jobeleca says:

On a nice victory note (from AT&T) I used to field about 5 calls a week about this, it’s pretty much stopped as far as I know as I haven’t received a call complaining about this since late fall! :D Nothing’s worse than spam that YOU have to pay for!