Edelman: How We Taught The World That Illegal Downloading Is A No-No

Edelman’s website is a treasure trove of self-congratulatory videos, but this little gem is, well, something else. This 2 minute promo explains how Edelman reframed the dialog about illegally downloading music, with a “fully integrated campaign.”

From the video:
“What there was was a complete lack of was a peer-to-peer dialog about illegally downloading music and why it was wrong.” No peer-to-peer dialog. None.

“We wanted to get people to think before they act, so how did we do that? We talked to them in focus groups.”

“I’ll never forget being at the Staples Center when Neil Portnow the president of the Recording Academy introduced our PSA and our Campaign to millions of people.” Way to go, Edelman. The dialog is hereby reframed. Nice use of stock footage of Tower Records, too. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Mike Brown says:

So in order to get people to think before they act, you put them in focus groups. I’ll have to remember that one right next time I’m about to do something stupid.

2. infinitysnake says:

All that’s missing is Edelman blaming it al on the Jews and koreans..

3. and the Russians, and the Swedes, and the UN…

4. matrixhax0r says:

To make this ironic, somebody needs to post their commercials on youtube.

5. faust1200 says:

This campaign makes Nancy Reagan’s “just say no” anti-drug campaign look substantive.

6. Chairman-Meow says:

Wow.

It never ceases to amaze me how truely out of touch corporate america really is.

I’m sure that Edelman sold this campaign to RIAA for a huge bucket o’ cash, claimed success and moved on to the next big lie ™.

7. bndocksnt says:

Where’s the video where they pat themselves on the back for their excellent job with the Walmart flog? I looked everywhere *sighs* I can’t wait to see them get all excited about that well-executed effort, it makes me feel all tingly…