Use Your DirecTV Remote To Power XBOX 360

Instructables has a “hack” showing us how to program a DirecTV universal remote to power an XBOX360, thus saving us from purchasing an XBOX 360 remote. More importantly, this technique proves that one can use a universal remote to run the XBOX, something that had never occurred to us before. Perhaps we are dumb. Anyway, this turns the XBOX 360 into a very nice DVD player. We did this to our XBOX, and it was, quote, “Sweet!”

Step 1) Switch the DirecTV remote to av1. Point the remote away from your receiver. Press and hold the select and mute buttons until the light above the av1 switch blinks twice.

Step 2) Press 991, then press 2. Now, press Power.

Step 3) Press Channel Up 35-40 times, pausing between each press. The light above av1 should go on every time you press it.

Step 4) When your XBOX 360 turns on, you’ve found the right code. Immediately press Select. You’re done!

—MEGHANN MARCO

Use DirecTV Remote With XBOX 360 [Instructables]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

*can’t watch video at work*

I did this when I first got my learning universal remote. I “taught” it from my 360 remote. Problem is, if I accidently hit “SAT” (satalite, which my 360 is binded to)…then power…my 360 powers up. Not what I expect when trying to shut my tv at 3am.

2. bluegus32 says:

Am I missing something? All I see is a 14 second clip of the remote turning on the XBox. Where are the instructions on how to set up your remote to power the XBox? I would love to be able to do that.

3. d0x says:

Not every universal remote supports the 360 but some of the newer ones do. I bought the Harmony remote by Logictech, it controls every device in my house that accepts IR signals.

4. Just like the regular Xbox, you can use RCA codes on a universal remote. Many of the DirecTV remotes are also using RCA codes, which is why this hack works. In fact, if you look at the original Xbox remote, it’s actually an RCA unit with a couple of green buttons. :)

The only difference here is that you don’t have to buy an IR receiver for the Xbox 360, which you did on the Xbox.

5. bluegus32 says:

So do I tell the DirecTV remote that I am programming an RCA unit? Will that control the 360?

6. Meg Marco says:

Link fixed, sorry about that, guys. The instructions are now linked at the bottom of the page, not the video. Give it a few refreshes.

7. bluegus32 says:

Thank you, Meghann! I can’t wait to get home and try this!

8. flashbolt says:

I had an old RCA DVD player and TV and the remote that came with both worked perfectly for my old Xbox. I tried it because the xbox remote looked suspiciously like the RCA one.

9. Scazza says:

Did this with my cheap RCA remote for the hell of it. But I used the “Point remote to remote” method (got the free Xbox360 remote with the launch 360)… So useless for me, but its pretty convenient if you are replacing a DVD player with a 360 (for upconversion yay!)

10. agdTinMan says:

“this technique proves that one can use a universal remote to run the XBOX, something that had never occurred to us before. Perhaps we are dumb.”

Yup, pretty much. ;) Especially when this is featured on Kotaku, who I would definitely hope knew about this little tricky-do.

11. queenarach says:

nice.. now if I could only get it to turn on my car as well….then..