Fake Comcast Worker Flees When Asked For ID

A man pretending to be a Comcast supervisor talked his way into a New Jersey home last Wednesday, but fled when asked for ID.

From the Gloucester County Times:

The residents in the 1500 block of Good Intent Road had work done at about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday by a sub-contractor for Comcast Cable, said police. Although the service technician was driving an unmarked white van, he was wearing a Comcast shirt and had all the proper identification and paperwork for the job, police said.

Several hours later, a man came to the house and said he was a Comcast supervisor and wanted to inspect the work that had been done, said police.

The woman who lives in the house allowed the man inside, but her husband immediately asked to see identification, police said.

The man explained he’d left his ID in the truck, but instead of getting it, he got in the van and drove away, said police.

It sounds like the fake supervisor had been following a real Comcast technician. Always, always, always ask for identification before letting anyone into your home. Even if you have an appointment; even if someone has already been to your home earlier in the day. It’s also a good idea not to be alone in the house when you schedule work to be done. —MEGHANN MARCO

Phony Comcast worker flees after ID demanded [NJ]

Comments

1. Very creepy.

2. valkin says:

1500 block of Good Intent Road is paved with…

sorry, couldn’t help myself.

3. 1500 block of Good Intent Road is paved with…

sorry, couldn’t help myself.

No wonder they got a scam artist: isn’t Good Intent Road the road to Hell?

4. remthewanderer says:

HOLY CRAP!!! that is my home town…

5. Greeper says:

A little tenuous connection to this site, with all due respect. It really has nothing to do with a company or a product. I vote no on the “crime happens” stories.

6. alhypo says:

“A little tenuous connection to this site, with all due respect. It really has nothing to do with a company or a product. I vote no on the ‘crime happens’ stories.”

It has to do with consumers protecting themselves.

Identity theft, for example, is rarely perpetrated by a company, but is definitely a relevant topic for this site. Why shouldn’t consumers protecting themselves from other sorts of “commerce” related crimes also be relevant?

7. Jim C. says:

I’ve had cable reps show up at my place unannounced twice. One (pre-Comcast, IIRC) said she wanted to do an audit. Another (Comcast) said he was there to upgrade my cable box.

I won’t let any reps in unannounced. I don’t give a shit even if they are legit.

8. Tim Matheson says:

This happened to my Grandmother in Kenosha Wisconsin. A van pulled into her driveway and said they were conducting a survey for the road crew that was working on the HWY at the time. They wanted her and her husband to show them the property line of their home. They took one out front and the other out back. Once they were outside another man went inside and took all their loose cash, jewelery, etc. These types of crimes “Theft by deception” are particularly popular in communities with a high population of elderly people. Sounds like this could have been something similar.

9. Scazza says:

My favourite happened just 2 weeks ago. Recently moved in, so we get 2 people minimum daily stopping by offering crap.

However, this guy claimed he was from ALL the local gas companies and wanted to know if I had gotten my mandatory discount for being a new home owner (its a new sub devision). When asked for ID, he explained that he carries none because he works for all the companies (there are at least 4 in the area). All I had to do was present him with my first bill (which i obviously didn’t have), hand over my information and he would adjust my account within a month.

I laughed, said “I don’t think so” and closed the door.

10. juri squared says:

I have to be cynical and say that it doesn’t even matter if they have ID sometimes – see also the story about the Comcast subcontractor that killed two women in Chicago when he was there on an appointment to work on their cable. Scary stuff.