Study Finds Higher Levels Of Nicotine In Cigarettes

NPR has an interesting report on The Harvard School of Public Health’s findings that nicotine levels in cigarettes are rising, despite tobacco companies’ promise not to work to increase the levels of the addictive substance in their products.

Nicotine in smoke has risen 11% over a 7 year period, sparking speculation that the tobacco companies are still trying to increase the addictiveness of cigarettes. —MEGHANN MARCO

Study Finds Higher Nicotine Levels in Cigarettes [NPR]

Comments

1. Avacasso says:

I wonder how the tobacco industry is going to play this one. Maybe the old “We can’t help it if our tobacco has higher nicotine..must be global warming” line.

2. Sirened says:

Ah, you gotta love Big Tobacco. They just keep evolving around all the laws. Sirened has also addressed the problem of states with low cigarette taxes like South Carolina at 7 cents a pack. Are you kidding? Come on guys, at least up it to 14 cents!

3. jut says:

I didn’t know Glenn Close did cigarette ads.

4. pronell says:

Shouldn’t that… I dunno.. have a consequence?

5. malatron says:

You should try and quit. I just found out that MA and NY do, and I wrote about it at my blog. Find out if your state offers free smoking cessation products, and more, here:

6. malatron says:

now if that above comment doesnt sound like some computer generated comment spam, i dont know what does. Apoligies for that one.

7. OnoSideboard says:

I better be getting more nicotine, considering the ridiculous price of a pack of cigarettes. I’m thinking about switching to crack, it’s more cost efficient.

8. JeffreyK says:

Smoke a pipe: no filter, $20 buys about a pound of tobacco that’ll last you a month, $30 buys a fair pipe that’ll last a lifetime, and it’s generally less annoying to people around.

I read the Harvard School of Public Health report. It’s full of opinion and speculation backed with lots of statistics. Statements like these, directly quoted from the report, put the report in perspective…. these are all in the concluding remarks and easily missed if you looking at the graphs and charts:

“The product changes described in this report may for example represent an effort
    by tobacco manufacturers to enable persons of lower income to sustain prior levels of nicotine intake, even with a consumption of fewer cigarettes on the assumption that prices would increase due to litigation during this time period.”

… and …

“Interpretation of these findings is limited by the testing methodology for smoke
    nicotine yield and its application to exposure among smokers. The increase in smoke
    nicotine yield does not necessarily signify any change in exposure within the population of smokers, particularly as human smoking behavior is compensatory and will adjust for differences in smoke yield.”

It comes down to personal choice. People have and always will do risky things. More nicotine or not, people who don’t smoke take up the habit daily. It’s a good report, but it hardly says the sky is falling.

9. bluegus32 says:

pronell: “I’m trying to figure out why these CEOs aren’t in jail already. Aren’t we able to prove that they lied under oath to the Senate?”

Probably because the Senate doesn’t bother generally with putting those people under oath. They didn’t with the gasoline producers, I can’t imagine they would with Big Tobacco.

Not to mention, our government has been bought and the tobacco lobby is crazy powerful. There is no way they will be sanctioned at the Federal government level.