Cellphone Didn’t Ignite Man On Fire

Turns that the man in the polyester suit who caught on fire in his hotel, well, it wasn’t his Nokia cellphone that started the conflagration.

“When we reinstalled the battery, the phone still booted up,” said Vallejo fire department investigator Tweedy. “If the battery had malfunctioned or the phone had short-circuited, it wouldn’t have worked anymore. And it did, so we could rule out the phone as an ignition source.”

Investigators think matches, a lighter, or a cigarette started the blaze, which was so intense, it consumed them. Matters were made worse by the plastic chair the dude was sitting in.

Let’s recap: polyester and nylon suit + cigarette + asleep = fire hazard. Either that, or this was a clearcut case of disco inferno. — BEN POPKEN

Cell phone didn’t ignite California man [News.com via Gizmodo]

Previously: Cellphone Ignites In Pocket, Burning Man’s Body And Hotel Room

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. Joe_Bagadonuts says:

    I have heard that people do, on occasion, just spontaneously combust?

  2. John says:

    Hey, who doesn’t like a cigarette with their nap?

  3. WindowSeat says:

    Just remember that anything called “microfiber” these days is our old friend polyester.

  4. BMR says:

    yet another tragedy blamed on the innocent cell-phone. when will this persecution stop? first the rumor that they cause cancer, then the whole car accidents thing, and now this? At least our friend the cell phone has been exonerated on this charge….

  5. JT says:

    “Disco Inferno!”

    Ben, thats literary genius.

  6. I saw a documentary on spontaneously combusting people. Come to find out, all of the cases were people falling asleep, and catching on fire.

    But what happens is some people’s fat content, allows the flames to burn longer and a higher temperature.

    So when their bodies are found, more material is missing [i.e. it appears they exploded as there is no bones and such].

    One of the cases was freaky: an elderly person caught on fire, but was immobile, and as they tried to crawl to the telephone for help, they burned up. All that was left was a hand reaching out for the phone.

    Chilling image that I won’t forget.

  7. acambras says:

    But what happens is some people’s fat content, allows the flames to burn longer and a higher temperature.

    Just one more way that transfats can really fuck you up.