Awesome Paint Preview Tool

Thinking about painting a room in your house, but aren’t sure what it will look like? Curbly points the way to Benjamin Moore’s website, where there is a truly nifty tool for previewing paint colors. You can choose sample rooms that are similar to yours, or for 10 bucks, upload pictures of your actual room.

The best part? “You don’t have to buy their paint to use their color viewer! Just take your Benjamin Moore paint chip-found at your local Benjamin Moore dealer-to the retailer of the paint manufacturer of your choice and they’ll be able to match it!” Cool.—MEGHANN MARCO

Personal Color Viewer [Benjamin Moore via Curbly]

Comments

1. It is a cool tool, but they could have made an effort to include at least a couple rooms that look like normal, family-home, unfancy rooms! I didn’t see a single one that looked like any room in any place I’ve ever lived. Ever.
    Classists!
    ;)

2. davere says:

Funny this got posted. I just bought a house and I was tired of all the paint selection tools that had unrealistic sample rooms. Some tools even changed the color of the furniture so that the paint color you chose looked better! It took me a bit to notice that dirty trick.

I ended up paying the $10 for the software and used it to decide on the colors for my house by using my very own pictures.

Defining the walls, etc is a minor pain in the ass but it’s very useful and affordable. My new house now looks awesome!

3. WindowSeat says:

Half the fun of painting is going to the store and getting paint chips and sample pots. You’ll pry my paint chip books out of my cold, dead hands.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

The house I bought last year was completely redone, but all the walls are painted in varous South Western colors (oranges, tans, etc). The thing is, I live at the Jersey Shore…not very appropriate. It is also a pain because I am picking up a projector (for movies), and I don’t have a single white wall in my home. (I’m too lazy to paint rooms that were just painted less than 2 years ago).

5. MeOhMy says:

How does it address monitor calibration issues? I’d hate to pick out a nice shade of blue only to realize it looks more green in real life…

6. davere says:

Troy, not very good but it gives you a good general idea. Enough to then get a sample can or two and then make your final decision.

7. officedrone4 says:

ABeast… we use a projector on our brown wall… works PERFECTLY.

braniac boyfriend insists its because brown either absorbs or reflects all colors equally. Either way… we don’t need a screen, just up on the brown wall. I might test it first on your wall before ruling out color.

I believe our living room in Benjamin Moore, Dark Mustard. Buy the little sample pot for $3 and see if it works for you. White walls = boring.

8. scoobydoo says:

Behr (only found at Home Depot) has a similar system:

And Glidden also has one:

I’m pretty sure that Behr even has an “offline” version for free on CD at most Home Depot stores plus they have a DIY color scanner that can help create colors and match them with anything you hold under the scanner. It then prints out the colors you picked on a nice sheet with all the color codes.

9. LadyWiz100 says:

I used the Benjamin Moore site to pick some of their Historic colors for our 1780 home. Because I was concerned about the monitor color distortion I picked up samples. They came very close to what I expected. The whole project is coming out nicely.
    I didn’t have any rooms that looked like those on the site, so I just picked a room that had three available surfaces, wall, ceiling and trim.

10. Mr. Gunn says:

You’ll pry my paint chip books out of my gold, dead hands.

Fixed it for ya.

$10 to upload some pictures? Didn’t they get the memo that web services were supposed to be free?

11. rich815 says:

” Just take your Benjamin Moore paint chip-found at your local Benjamin Moore dealer-to the retailer of the paint manufacturer of your choice and they’ll be able to match it Just take your Benjamin Moore paint chip-found at your local Benjamin Moore dealer-to the retailer of the paint manufacturer of your choice and they’ll be able to match it”

Maybe. Ever try this?

12. iuubob says:

Rich, with the color matching software presently in place color matching has gone from a science mastered by a few oldheads that have been in the business forever to a process a mildly-stoned 17 year-old with bad skin can handle easily. Despite what manufacturers claim their is nothing unique about a paint color.