T-Mobile: Wanting to Buy Stuff From Us Is Fraud

Who knew that wanting to buy a whole bunch of crap from T-mobile was fraud? Reader Christine writes:

i am sooo pissed off at t-mobile. over a year ago i had purchased several items on t-mobiles website. i guess i had started to purchase too much and they said that it was suspicious activity and would not ship my items. i then proceeded to use my husbands credit card thinking that they would ship using his card. nope.

it was in the system by address and not name or credit card. my account/purchases were sent to the fraud department (who never contacted me). they have never refunded his credit card for 156.00. i called them repeatedly and they said to fax a copy of his bank statement so that they could see that he was never refunded. i did this three times. its been over a year.

it happend in nov of 05. we still have yet to see this refund. i also had a heck of a time getting MY money back from them, they took their sweet time.

It’s probably time for Christine to get her husband’s credit card company involved in this. Waiting a year probably wasn’t the best idea, but it’s never too late until it is, right?

So, what’s going on with your Fraud department, T-Mobile? Christine tells us she wants a Sidekick 3, why not sell her one?—MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. TheUpMyAssPlayers says:

Jesus are you serious? Fraud??

Who’s the genius that set up flags for fraud on buying too much stuff.

I want to know so I can call him a douchebag.

2. Falconfire says:

Wow usually they hound you and harass you to buy more stuff you dont need, this is the first time I have ever see a company hound you for buying too MUCH stuff.

3. Magister says:

Wonder what the real story is. She hasn’t disputed the charges? I bet there is much more to this story. We have only a small portion of a side of this.

4. gte910h says:

I agree with Magister.

If you use a credit card (as you should if at all possible when buying things), and they don’t refund any purchase they screw up, DISPUTE IT. Your CC will remove the money from their bank.

Either A> you were naive or B> You aren’t telling us everything. If the case is A, you know not to be foolish in the future. Most CC’s have a 60 day deadline. I personally give merchants 3 days to resolve any billing issue before I file a dispute. I suggest you adopt the same.

If B is the case, well, then we don’t know the facts so can’t really say anything worthwhile about them.

–Michael

5. kerry says:

Some stores put a limit on how much a person can spend in a period of time. Generally they do this to protect themselves from people reselling their merchandise on eBay. I know a woman who has been banned from shopping at Coach because she was spending large sums monthly (and shipping the merchandise to family and friends overseas). This is the first I’ve heard of someone getting tagged as a fraud, though.
    I agree with those who have said that she should dispute the charges, telling the CC company that the goods were never received.

6. Jesse in Japan says:

It’s probably too late to dispute the charges now. You can have a lawyer write them a very legalistic sounding letter, but if that doesn’t work, there’s not much you can do. T-Mobile effectively stole 156 dollars from you.

7. Falconfire says:

the only problem of that is the fact that thats illegal, they cant willfully block someone from reselling their products unless there is some more serious reason for it (like its medicine)

IF the PS3/Wii/360 fiasco has shown anyone its that there is nothing wrong with the reselling of products for more money through other channels, despite what the companies want you to believe.

8. Katie says:

Falconfire, legal or not, eBay actively cooporates with companies to ban sellers if a company complains their wares are being resold by one of their sellers, with trademark infringement cited as justification. I don’t know if this happens specifically with cell phone stuff, but it sure happens with to resellers of cosmetic/beauty products often enough.

Nevertheless, even suspicion of her reselling items seems pretty immaterial. Her husband neither received the product, nor received his money back since delivery of product never occured. THAT is definitely illegal. If nothing else, I’d guess she could take this to small claims court if worst came to worst. I’d still try to get his credit company to do a charge back anyhow (even this late in the game) since they’ve got nothing to lose at this point. I can’t imagine waiting this long to be proactive about it, though.

9. loveshinesthru says:

There isnt any more to the story. I tried to work it out with t-mobile first thinking that they would refund my money. i kept faxing them the information, before you knew it our 60 days were up with the bank and we could not file against them. i had called and spoke to several different people there to find out why they would not send my items and they basically told me that i had purchased too many times in too few days and that my accounts were routed to the fraud dept(risk assesment team) for further review.

10. MeOhMy says:

“the only problem of that is the fact that thats illegal, they cant willfully block someone from reselling their products unless there is some more serious reason for it “

They can’t stop you from reselling something, but they are under no obligation to sell you anything at all. You certainly can’t resell an item if the vendor won’t sell it to you to begin with.

“There isnt any more to the story.” I don’t think sceptics are questioning whether there is more to the part of the story where they took your money and sent you no product, they question the whole scenario where you bought “several” items, got flagged for whatever reason and then tried to make the purchase with another credit card. At least that’s the part that’s got me scratching my head.

Doesn’t change the fact that they entered into an agreement of sale and then neither provided the items purchased nor a refund, but the whole situation sounds very odd.