Why Do You Want To Cancel Your Cellphone So Bad?

We’ve run a bunch of different posts on various tactics to employ to get out of your cellphone contract without early termination fee… but why do you people want to do it with such fervor?

Gawker Media polls require Javascript; if you’re viewing this in an RSS reader, click through to view in your Javascript-enabled web browser.

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I want to do it because all the cool kids are doing it.

2. Sudonum says:

You left one response out; “Who says I want to get out of my contract?”

3. Sudonum is right. If anything, I want to keep my contract as long as possible. I’ve got one of the few AT&T Wireless contracts that are still around (yes it still exists), and I intend to keep it for as long as I can. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a comparable contract from the big pink T or the orange swastika, yet I still get high speed data and my PDA phone.

4. max andrews says:

Actually, I want to switch because all of verizon’s phones are terrible. No problems with the service or call quality, but my last three phones from them have all sucked in a major way and they don’t seem to plan on offering anything classy based on their current line-up. “enV LOLZ OMG so freakin sweet lolz i G2 HV THIS!!!” No thx, vrzn, i’ll just switch to t-mobile and then brag about it.

5. spanky says:

My kid is still on one of the old AT&T Wireless contracts, too. And I have a pay as you go plan that costs $6.66 per month. Cheap, AND the phone bill of the beast!

Sometimes, I’d kind of like to sign a contract just so I could try to get out of it, though, because you guys make it look so fun.

6. 44 in a Row says:

I’m on an AT&T Wireless plan, but I’ve been month-to-month for the last year and a half. It was all kinds of hell when I lost my cellphone and had to get a new SIM card from them, but overall, I’m still paying much less than I would on a Cingular contract. And I can always threaten to leave.

7. MosH8ed says:

One choice you forgot to add to your poll: Because I’m sick and tired of cellphones companies and their BS charges; their bills; their users; their users who talk 1st & drive 2nd; and I plan to live the rest of my life like a born again Luddite.

At least that’s part of the reason why I’m canceling. ;-)

8. droppedD says:

so i can get cell reception at home. I’m 3 miles outside Boston in a house 10′ from a major road; TMobile and Verizon work fine, but Cingular gets 0-2 bars and drops every few minutes. It’s horrible.

9. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I’ve been going month to month on Cingular for the past 4 years. I don’t feel compelled to switch to another provider. Network reliability has been good for me, and I like the calling plan that I’m on. Free or discounted phones are tempting, but I don’t feel the need to sign a contract and be forced to pick from the newer and more expensive calling plans.

If I want to get a new phone, I just buy an unlocked one from Amazon or even from Motorola directly. I’m willing to pay the premium for an unlocked phone, rather than sign a contract for a discounted phone through Cingular.

10. raindog says:

I must be one of the only people on earth who’s actually trying to keep a Sprint contract forever.

When they first introduced Vision (i.e. modem-speed web access) in my area, they had a “two phones, unlimited cell to cell, 2000 minutes, unlimited SMS and MMS (even though the phones they gave us at the time couldn’t do SMS and didn’t have cameras…. sure is useful now), unlimited net access (lame for their built-in web browser, but great when I could trick my old phone into being a USB modem, and still useful for Google Maps nowadays), 90 bucks a month” deal.

I’ve reupped it twice now, most recently for 2 years, and each time none of their current plans has even come close. Looking at their current plans, at least in my zip code, that still seems to be true.

Sure, sometimes I think it’d be nice to have a Crackberry, or a provider that won’t send me into analog roaming or drop me altogether as soon as I get 3 miles off the freeway, but most of the terrible experiences other people have had with Sprint have escaped me for some reason, and stuff like this Verizon thread lately makes me pretty happy with my choice…. knock on wood.

Now, when I stop being able to resist buying a smartphone, which will probably be the next time my contract comes up, I’ll be shopping around…. but Cingulat&t and Verizon are obviously evil, which leaves what? T-Mobile? I guess I COULD go with even worse coverage than Sprint….

11. raindog says:

(LatherRinseRepeat snuck in while I was typing….)

You know, at least with Sprint, if you go to the actual company store and not some reseller, you can actually re-up your contract using your current terms. They’ll try to sell you on a new plan, but both times they haven’t resisted in the least when I told them I wanted to keep my current one.

12. Charles Duffy says:

There’s a distinction between why one initially decided to get out of the contract and one’s after-the-fact appreciation of the benefits of having done so.

I canceled my contract because the change-the-terms-midway thing Cingular’s been pulling is BS — I want my arbitration clauses unenforceable, damnit! — but I’m interested in staying because my new provider (Cricket) provides something I haven’t had in a cell phone plan previously: Peace of mind (no multi-year contract, no per-minute/per-message charges if I go over some cap)

13. Jason Chen says:

Where’s the choice that says “iPhone”?

14. WindowSeat says:

I’m actually happy with my Verizon service and my simple, not too big or too small phone.

15. DeeJayQueue says:

I don’t necessarily want to cancel, but i think that there are enough people willing to pay full price for their phones and who have decent enough credit not to warrant having a 2 year contract. The more people who cancel their plans w/o the ETF the more that the phone companies have to re evaluate their business model. That’s a good thing.