United: No Snacks For You

United Airlines has discontinued snacks on flights shorter than 2 hours, according to Cheapflights. United has also raised fares by $5 each way, except in markets where its competing with Southwest…and despite falling fuel prices.

Lack of snacks will save the airline an estimated $650,000 a year. That’s a lot of plane shaped cheese snacks. —MEGHANN MARCO

United removes snacks from short-haul flights [Cheapflights]

Comments

1. Sheik says:

I wonder if their flight time include the time they hold you hostage on the tarmac. I would imagine that if the scheduled flight time was under 2 hrs. they might not have any on board, or only enough for 1st class. Another benefit of paying more, they wont starve you if your stuck on the runway.

2. oudemia says:

I used to be fond of United; they served “Taste of Chicago” themed meals, like Edwardo’s spinach-stuffed pizza, even on shorter flights.

3. WindowSeat says:

I seldom fly United so this doesn’t affect me much, but I usually bring my own snacks anyway. I USED to bring a litre of water as well, but we all know that story.

I suggest United customers start bringing their own “snacks” in protest. Durian, Limburger, Prosciutto, you know simple stuff.

4. RumorsDaily says:

I would love airplane shaped cheese snacks. I hate those snack mix bags some airlines give you.

5. Pelagius says:

Or people can just keep bringing their goddamn reeking McDonald’s on the plane, like they’ve been doing since meals were discontinued.

6. scoobydoo says:

And thus the last bit of “luxury” left on United is removed, turning the back of the plane into nothing more than a low cost carrier. Long gone are the days where you were served a full meal and full cans of soda during your flight.

American mainstream carriers are doomed, the LCC’s will rule the sky’s.

7. Optimistic Prime says:

I can’t see the problem here. You should be able to go more than two hours without a snack. Ethiopians go days without one. If it’s that bad, bring your own.

8. except in markets where its competing with Southwest…and despite falling fuel prices.

Airlines often pay for fuel months, sometimes years in advance. This is a smart move for United’s continued existence. For people who think airlines are busses with wings, not so good.

9. radiogrrl says:

I thought only Southwest had the plane shaped Goldfish snacks.

And, I wouldn’t fly on United if they PAID me to do so… They’ll never get another chance to cancel my flight. NEVER AGAIN!

10. Johnie says:

WindowSeat says:
    I USED to bring a litre of water as well, but we all know that story.

Why would you do that?!?! Why would you risk the safety of the plane by bringing liquid on board in a container greater than 3 oz? You could’ve killed everyone on board.

Consider yourself lucky that you’ve made it long enough to post this message.

11. meese says:

I’m Ethiopian and I will miss the snacks :-(

12. max andrews says:

LOL@meese.

On another note, doesn’t each plane cost something like $20 million? SO over 27 years of not serving goldfish, they’ll be able to buy one extra plane. And jet blue gets a new plane every week :/

13. KesCaesar says:

It’s still better than Air Canada.

14. Kalik says:

I mainly use United, but I usually fly 10+ hours when I do fly so it won’t affect me.

However, I remember when they used to have “connosieur” class and would hand out a toiletry kit to everyone including an evian mist spray, toothbrush, mouthwash, slippers and an eye mask so you can sleep soundly so I’m really sad to see these things go. It seems like they’re more interested in keeping the bottom line instead of customer satisfaction…. pity.

15. radiogrrl says:

I never had a problem with Air Canada. I flew them twice (before Sep 11, 2001) on trips to Heathrow and marveled at how good the food was.

I haven’t been out of the county since 2000, so I don’t know if they took a turn for the worse in the meantime.