Guy Loses 9lbs Playing Nintendo Wii

Ever since the Wii came out, we’ve wondered if you could lose weight by playing it. Apparently, you can:

Six weeks ago, I began what has become a huge obsession of mine. It is called the “Wii Sports Experiment” (Read my original announcement of this from Early December ’06). I outlined a 6 week game plan for myself, the idea being that I would continue ALL normal activity and eating habits, and simply add 30 minutes of Wii Sports to my day. For the past month and a half, I’ve stuck to these guidelines very strictly.

Dude lost 9lbs! Not a “miracle diet” (he actually didn’t diet at all,) but miracle diets are lame, anyway.—MEGHANN MARCO

Wii Sports Experiment, Results! [WiiNintendo]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Good for him.

Now what about long term problems with his elbow, wrist, or rotator cuff?

2. homerjay says:

You think he can get tennis elbow without actually impacting anything? Hmmm!

3. bluegus32 says:

I’m thinking that Wii sports and Domino’s pizza is the new miracle diet for the rest of us.

4. WindowSeat says:

energy expenditure > caloric intake = weight loss

5. MeOhMy says:

We’ve been doing this with DDR for years; I don’t think this should be a eureka moment for anyone.

6. Pelagius says:

Imagine what he could do if he left his mom’s basement.

7. Sheik says:

I can’t wait for the next generation of console gaming, the one that actually goes and makes friends for you.

8. bluegus32 says:

And did you all notice that this dude DID NOT need to lose 9 pounds? Yikes.

Video game maniac (at least 30 minutes a day) and super-skinny. He must get ALL the ladies.

TroyF: what is DDR?

9. bluwapadoo says:

DDR = Dance Dance Revolution

10. bluegus32 says:

Thank you. I should have known that.

11. droppedD says:

this is stupid. he played half an hour a day for 6 weeks, and on average was burning (by his own calculations) something like 150 calories a day via Wii Sports. That’s the caloric equivalent over 30 days of a one-day fast with a little bit of extra walking, and having done several Yom Kippurs over my life, I can tell you that there is no freaking way Wii Sports alone accounts for 9 lbs. I mean, that’s fewer calories than you’d burn by just walking for half an hour a day, and even that probably alone won’t lose you a pound and a half every week.

Since he wasn’t tracking his caloric intake at all (and hey, it’s just one guy) my guess is he was (consciously or unconsciously) eating healthier than usual. I mean, 9 pounds? I’ve been probably averaging that much play since I got a wii and I haven’t loss nada.

I call either shenanigans or statistically improbably random weight loss. There’s no way this will be repeatable in lab experiments (say, comparing 30 minutes of wii with 30 minutes of XBox in random subjects over a 6 week period).

One pound of body fat takes approx. 3500 calories to get rid of.
    Either he lost a bunch of weirdly random water weight, or is lying horribly about his diet, amount of excercise, or results.

12. MeOhMy says:

If it motivates you to get up off the couch and get some exercise, there’s nothing stupid about it. You might not lose 9 pounds in 6 weeks; that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen to this guy. The human body is more complicated than simplistic axioms like “3500 cal = 1 pound of fat.”

Some people (like me, for instance) need to do exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise. I simply cannot drag myself downstairs to use the elliptical or go to the gym in the office, but I have no problem going rock climbing, curling, or yes – playing DDR for 1/2 hour each morning.

The lesson people should take from this guy is not “Play Wii for 30 minutes a day and automatically lose 9 pounds in 6 weeks.”

The lesson is “Make a lifestyle change to exercise for 30 minutes every day and over time you will lose weight.”

13. droppedD

maybe he is just doing the opposite of what women do when they ‘bloat’ at certain periods in their lives.

he’s taolbing.

it must be late… ‘scuse me.

14. mfergel says:

Could be a couple of factors. Your weight can change by as much as 5 lbs in a single day so it may have to do with when he wieghed himself. Maybe that time he spent playing would have otherwise been spent eating? Maybe the regular playing increased his metabolism in general (ie. he was still burning calories after he had finished playing). A lot of variables.