Domino’s Press Release: “a Good Choice for a Healthy Diet”

Check out this Domino’s Pizza Press Release:

Resolving to lose weight in the New Year? Don’t skip your Domino’s pizza. In the January issue of Glamour magazine, in an article titled “What to eat to stay slim” two slices of Domino’s 12″ classic hand-tossed Vegi Pizza Feast(R) and a side salad were named as a healthy meal choice.

Not in the mood for veggies? A medium hand-tossed Domino’s cheese pizza is only five points on the Weight Watcher’s(R) Flex Plan.

Really? Glamour said it? Wow!

“The beauty of pizza is that it can be as healthy or indulgent as you want it, and the consumer is in the driver’s seat,” said Tim McIntyre, Domino’s vice president of communications. “If losing weight is on your wish list for 2007, you don’t have to sacrifice your slice of Domino’s pizza for your waistline.”

Just the Facts

* Pizza is essentially a meal in itself, as you can find foods from the
    four basic food groups in one slice.
    * A crunchy thin crust Domino’s pizza contains less than half the
    carbohydrates of Domino’s classic hand-tossed pizza.
    * None of the core products on Domino’s menu (pizza, bread side items,
    chicken) contain trans fats.
    * Customers seeking a healthier pizza have the option of ordering their
    pizza with a lighter portion of cheese.
    * The tomatoes in pizza sauce contain lycopene, which helps protect
    against prostate cancer. Tomatoes are also an excellent source of
    vitamins A and C.

Hey, at least the “core products” don’t have trans fats. If they do add them later, does that constitute a Material Adverse Effect? Wait. Never mind. —MEGHANN MARCO

Domino’s Pizza Named A Good Choice For A Healthy Diet (Press Release) [PR Newswire]

Comments

1. Gilbert Tang, Jr. says:

At least they have nutritional info on their website. Hahaha.

2. etinterrapax says:

In the grand scale of junk food, pizza isn’t really all that bad for you. They’re right about the food groups. I have a feeling most people have a problem with serving size.

3. B says:

The best things about Dominos pizza is it’s so disgusting you quickly lose your appetite.

4. WindowSeat says:

Pizza isn’t a bad menu choice when you’re dieting, it all comes doen to how much you eat. Of course the same thing can be said for ice cream, lard or tofu.

5. Metschick says:

Domino’s is the worst pizza I’ve ever had, hands down. So yeah, it’d probably be a great diet food!

6. homerjay says:

MMmmmm…. lard and tofu…..

7. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Domino’s had this amazing pizza once. It was a thin crust pizza, doubled up, with a parmasian cheese sauce in the middle.

Not sure if that is a good diet food.

8. JennifARGH says:

Ugh, I hope they don’t run those horrible ads for that “slim pizza” like they did in Australia. Stupid giggling and “jean-button-undoing”…

9. laurion says:

The whole medium cheese pizza is only 5 points! Wow, that’s a miracle! Darn, I just looked at the nutritional info. Turns out, one _slice_ is 5 points. Given that 20-30 points is the usual range for a person, you don’t want to consume more than about 5-10 points per meal, leaving some room for snacks. So that’d be two slices, no toppings, no side dishes, and water to drink.

10. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Water has points?

11. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Oh, nevermind…

12. wasylm says:

Pizza Hut should be running ads in Glamour too, bulimics would love the after-effects.

13. Mmmm. I love a bit of lard.

14. max andrews says:

Every time I have had domino’s pizza in the past (five times), I have vomited within ten minutes of eating the first slice. Of course, all these times I have had the flu, and for some reason my body only craves domino’s when I am sick. Maybe it wants me to vomit up everything including the germs?

15. timmus says:

Is it just me or did Dominos actually taste better in the 1980s and early 1990s? I seem to remember it had a less cardboardy crust and a more peppery flavor. I have to agree that Dominos isn’t all that good these days, though it’s not bad pizza by any stretch… I’ve had pizzas at other restaurants that were just ‘meh’.

16. slolobdill44 says:

Yeah, more like dumbinos. Even anyone on a diet shouldn’t want to buy their horrible tasting pizza, and especially what’s probably one of the worst salads around.

17. ElizabethD says:

Timmus — It’s not just you. We used to order Domino’s way back when (“when” meaning late 1970s), and most times it was absolutely awesome. Then, by the early 1990s, it became greasy and tasteless and gross.

Recently I took a chance and ordered from Domino’s (I had some coupons, and a bunch of teenagers to feed) and was pleasantly surprised; the crust was very good and the toppings tasty. Maybe, even with standardized ingredients, there is variation in quality from store to store?

18. SexCpotatoes says:

? less cheese! same price!

19. oghelpme says:

Why is the “papa John’s” guy eating Domino’s Pizza?