Lazy Winter Energy Saving Tips

You could install aerators, ask your utility company to lock in a year round rate, or replace your furnace filters every month, but that could take a lot of work.

Instead, try these energy saving tips for the marginally motivated.

• Turn your thermostat down a few degrees when leaving the house.
• Shut doors to rooms when possible.
• Defrost foods in the refrigerator before cooking.
• Avoid peeking in the oven constantly when you’re cooking.
• Wash laundry cold when possible.

— BEN POPKEN

Winter Energy Saving Tips [New American Dream] (Thanks to c-side!)

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

They sell these long pillow type things that lay across the bottom of a door. Those are pretty good at keeping a draft out.

Also, if there are any windows you rarely open, or if you don’t move the top half of your windows, some clear packing tape helps too. Doesn’t look very nice, but works.

BTW…I dunno if I am tired, or perverted, but I read point 4 on that list w/o the first “k”.

2. homerjay says:

I almost exclusively wash all laundry in cold unless something expensive specifically asks for hot. Never had a problem in 10 years.

3. RandomHookup says:

If you own the place, get an electronic thermostat — my gas company gives me a $25 rebate to buy one. It’s amazing how little you care how cold your house gets at 3 a.m. while you’re tucked safely in your bed with your footie pj’s.

4. homerjay says:

Along with that I’ve started using flannel bed sheets in the winter. I used to keep the temp at 68 at bedtime, now its down to 65 and I’m just as comfortable.

5. bluegus32 says:

Other tips that I’ve employed:

1) If you have an extra refrigerator, turn it off as much as possible. I have an extra fridge but I only use it for parties.
    2) Close off heater vents in portions of the house that are used less often.
    3) Use major appliances after peak hours.
    4) Tell your family that for every light they leave on that’s not in use, they will be beaten with a stick.

6. MeOhMy says:

I highly recommend programmable thermostats!

If I turned off my extra fridge, my beer would go! :-)

7. etinterrapax says:

If you find you get too cold turning the thermostat way down all at once (say from 72 to 67), try easing it down one degree a week so you get used to the new temperature. I found that I can routinely keep the heat at 67 during the day if I’m wearing a long-sleeved shirt, and I’m not a terribly active person. I start to get cold if I set it at 65 or lower. We also keep the heat off altogether in the bedrooms. Saves a lot of oil.

8. kerry says:

I installed a programmable thermostat after I got our first winter gas bill in the new condo. The second one, while higher due to cold weather, was within the range of acceptability. Since I’m the one who pays the gas bill, I programmed the thermostat to my lowest tolerance and threaten the boyfriend with bodily harm for changing it. I’ve been thinking about buying a locking cover. I keep it at 55° during the work day when nobody’s home, 67° in the evening, 60° overnight and 63° first thing in the morning.
    I lost my draft snake (the pillow thing AlteredBeast mentioned) in the move, but it was very nice for keeping my old apartment draft-free in wintertime.

9. Plasmafire says:

Unplug every AC adapter that your not using, they continously drain power even if your devices are not on.

10. Citron says:

I turn my heater off unless I’m taking a shower or about to go to sleep, then I turn it off once it hits 60-ish. I run it for maybe 2 hours a day. It’s 39 in my apartment. I’m such a poor college student. SEND ME MORE WOOL SOCKS, MOM!

You actually get used to it quicker than you’d think, but all the cold makes me sleepy.

11. Mike_ says:

I plugged my mini fridge into a Kill-a-Watt earlier this month. It draws 93W on, but it’s off most of the time. Loaded with Diet Pepsi, it averages about 17.75W. 3.69 kWh in 208 hours = 12.95 kWh per month. So for me, it costs about 88¢ per month to keep my beverages cold.

- Use a power meter to get a handle on your energy usage.
    - Switch to energy efficient bulbs, and turn them off when not in use.
    - Look for the Energy Star logo when buying new stuff.
    - Use energy saver modes on computers, monitors, printers, etc.
    - Wear warmer clothes and turn down your thermostat a few degrees when at home.