6 Dinners You Can Make In One Pot

Real Simple has 6 dinners that you can make in one pot, and they look mighty tasty. Making one-pot dinners is awesome. At this very moment we are making Italian Beef in our kitchen, which is another thing you can make in one pot. We will not give you that recipe, however, because it is our secret recipe. —MEGHANN MARCO

6 Easy One-Pot Dinners [Real Simple]

Comments

1. Polymath says:

Oh, Italian Beef! I get at least one every time I go to Chicago, and it’s stupid simple to make. Thanks for reminding me of it Meghann!

2. AtomikB says:

They left out this recipe, which is a real lifesaver:

Cook 1 box macaroni and cheese according to instructions. Add 1 bag frozen vegetables to the noodles while they’re cooking. When it’s done cooking, add the cheese like normal, and add 1 can of tuna. Use a large mixing spoon to fend off your roommates.

3. WindowSeat says:

Technically this takes two pots, but Mario Batali has a great recipe for spare ribs in red wine and tomato sauce with polenta that seriously kicks ass. (page 376, Molto Italiano)

4. Chris says:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….Italian Beef. And you’re not even going to give us the recipe?

5. Meg Marco says:

Not the secret one. This one will work for you, though. http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160441

6. Hawkins says:

I looked at the bigoven recipe. What is a “sport pepper”? “Sports pepper?” Huh?

7. mcbarnicle says:

For a magazine that calls itself “Real Simple”, it sure does have a lot of ads for products to complicate your life with. ;)

8. MeOhMy says:

Sport Peppers are cheerleaders. They go especially well with fava beans and chianti.

I guess coming from a heavily Italian area and an Italian family, I’ve never heard of “Italian beef.” We just call it a hot roast beef sandwich! We also rarely actually set out to make “Italian Beef”; you make pot roast on Monday and use the leftover pot roast for the sandwiches on Thursday.

9. MeOhMy says:

Oh I see from the Wiki article…it’s a Chicago thing. We do make it pretty much the same way where I live, though.

10. kerry says:

Sport peppers are small, green, hot peppers. They’re standard topping for italian beefs and Chicago-style hotdogs.
    Hey, look! Chicago’s favorite hot dog company has its own brand of sport peppers:

11. acceptablerisk says:

A buddy and I just made some excellent white-bean chicken chili this evening. Mighty tasty and only one pot needed.

12. biggeek says:

That website that has more adspace than content. What a monstrosity.

“Realsimple.” What a joke.

13. Kat says:

The Consumerist Cookbook Blog. Hmmm.

14. Her Grace says:

If any of the links given on the page actually worked in firefox (beef and shallot stew sounds really excellent and I wanted to try it out), that’d certainly help. I tried ie as well, and got nothing after a couple of refreshes and gave up. Ugh. No 1 pot meal is good enough for the headache that site is.

15. etinterrapax says:

Real Simple is a shopping magazine. It just encourages you to shop for simpler things. So you can have a variety of simple-looking gadgets to solve simple problems that don’t need gadgets, or aren’t even really problems, unless you yourself are Real Simple. It’s more ironic than most magazines.

Yes, I subscribe. Why?

16. Are sport peppers what we call banana peppers?

17. greek roasting peppers?

I feel that they all taste quite different from one another.

18. kerry says:

Sport peppers are not anything like banana peppers or pepperocini. They are firm and dark green, more like small jalepenos. They aren’t baggy and thin-skinned like banana peppers or pepperocini. Have you ever had giardiniera? The hot pepper bits in that are sport peppers.

19. Ah. Ok. Yep, I have had giardiniera.