“My Faves” Does Not Require A Special Phone

A T-Mobile employee confirms that “My Faves” does not require a special phone or a two year contract:

I work for the big pink t, and i can confirm that My Faves will work on any phone. The difficulty lies in activating the plan. Employees at a store can’t activate it in their system….Customer service can’t add it if you order it for an existing account over the phone.

You can, however, switch to a MyFaves account via the self-serve account management options on t-mobile.com.

This may require a contract renewal, as promotional rate plans require a new service agreement of at least one year.So that kind of sucks. But if you have a year or more left, there’s no reason not to try MyFaves. It won’t add on to your contract, just restart it for one year from the rate plan change date.

Finally, managing the MyFaves interface (where the five favorite numbers are designated) is typically done from the start screen of a MyFaves enabled handset. If you are using a non MyFaves phone, you have to designate your faves through t-mobile.com. Not a big deal, really, but it’s the only way you can do it. So customers without internet access are out of luck. then again, how would such people be reading the consumerist?

Mystery solved? —MEGHANN MARCO

PREVIOUSLY:Rumor: T-Mobile “My Faves” Doesn’t Require A Special Handset

Comments

1. Tim Matheson says:

Somebody add that person to their faves. This is good to know.

2. kerry says:

Heh. I’m totally calling it “the big, pink T” from now on. I’ve been sort of half-thinking about moving to a MyFaves account, I’m glad for the info about contract extension and where I can and cannot sign up.

3. andyj76 says:

I used to work for T-Mobile, and the (very strong) word from Germany is that the T is “NOT PINK”. It is in fact “T-Mobile Magenta”. (I believe they even included the hex code in the style guide for documents)
    Try and make sure that you call it pink at all opportunities :-)

4. RandomHookup says:

I knew a guy who used to work in a big, pink T, but I don’t think it’s the same thing.

5. Megan Trigg says:

Actually, I can definitely confirm this as being true. I just switched to the MyFaves plan, and in the week or so between when I switched and when my new phone arrived in the mail, I was still using my old phone no problem. Well, not no problem — the phone was dying of old age and overuse, which was why I decided to finally bite the bullet and get a new phone and upgrade my plan while I was at it. By the way, I’ll note that now that my calls to my mother are free, I keep in touch with her a lot more often, which means I don’t have to actually see her as frequently. ;)

6. Karl says:

I suspect (but do not know for sure) that MyFaves are managed using GSM service codes (T-Mobile prepaid uses GSM service codes to check your balance, etc.), or possibly SMS messages. Both are supported by all phones. The trick is knowing what codes to use — and as far as I know, that hasn’t been documented yet. But, as soon as someone figures that out, you’ll probably be able to manage your MyFaves on any phone.

7. georget99 says:

Has it been mentioned that you can manage your faves in your My T-Mobile.

8. amberamber says:

Hello!!!
    I saw this article after having a horrible day because of my phone bills. I switched to the myfaves plan by calling T-Mobile(611). I have an old nokia 6030. They asked me if I had the my faves phone & I just said yes… they asked for the phone’s serial number and I thought “shoot! they’ve got me!” but! HAHAH they were just like “ok.great.” I had a little trouble with the 1st part of my 1st bill, because I entered the my faves #s online, & they didn’t follow through in the system, so I had to call 611 again and have them enter the numbers as I read them aloud. I just checked again today & all is well! I saved about $100, and T-mobile is none the wiser. All my bills including that 1st month are reduced of the myfaves minutes &…

I’M SO HAPPY!!!!
    THANK YOU!

-amber.

9. ShermanArgos says:

I emailed big pink T’s customer service, asking if I needed a MyFaves-capable phone to use the MyFaves plan. He told me that the previous customer he was helping was having the same issue…using MyFaves with a non-myFaves phone…blah blah blah…and he suggested me to upgrade my phone to a myFaves one.

But this article definitely cleared things up! Thanks a lot!!!