Lawsuit: Martha Stewart Dishes Not Microwave Safe

Sure, Martha looks happy in this picture from her website, but secretly she’s upset about her sucky dishes. Reader David sends us a link to a new class action lawsuit, this one is against Martha Stewart Omnimedia:

A class action lawsuit has been filed against the homemaking queen alleging a dinnerware line is not microwave safe. The lawsuit was filed in Spokane Superior Court and claims Martha Stewart’s dinnerware gets extremely hot if used in a microwave and can cause burns to skin and table tops. Food remains cold, the drink remains cold, and the dinnerware gets blazing hot. The case allegedly uncovered internal documents that show Stewart’s company knew about the overheating problem just months after they were put on K-Mart shelves but kept the product out there.

Ooooh, internal documents! Holy crap, we want a Martha Stewart whistle blower of our very own. We are so jealous. —MEGHANN MARCO

Martha Stewart Lawsuit Summary [Lawyers and Settlements]

Comments

1. …claims Martha Stewart’s dinnerware gets extremely hot if used in a microwave and can cause burns to skin and table tops. Food remains cold, the drink remains cold, and the dinnerware gets blazing hot.

2. any such name says:

no. the case was de-certified as a class action suit.

3. HelpMeHelpYou says:

Looks like Martha is still a crook. People just don’t learn from spending time.

4. Negative says:

People just don’t learn from spending time.

From my experiences I’ve found they usually they get worse.

5. acambras says:

I heard she’s joined a gang.

If you roll back the sleeves of that stylish jacket, you can see all her prison tats.

6. Kornkob says:

Is there some rule I’m not aware of that says that dishes have to be microwave safe? Seems to me that their product might suck but I’m not sure if it warrants a lawsuit unless the packaging claimed that the dishes were safe for nuking your food.

7. Hoofhearted says:

8. infinitysnake says:

Not much of a shocker after the incidents with the exploding tables….

9. I was given a Martha Stewart washroom set Which has promptly lined the cabinet under my sink ever since. I used it for a week and the soaptray (a somewhat elegant looking piece of ceramic with a metal top began to rust.

Who makes a metal soap tray that isn’t stainless steel? ri-goddamn-diculous!

10. Meg Marco says:

that’s hilarious.

11. guroth says:

here is a pretty good rundown of the story

“We’ll ask the court to compel the defendants to simply notify people that the product they’ve labeled microwave safe in fact should never be used in a microwave … and we’ll attempt to recall the product so that others are not injured,” Scott said.”

This story is saying the products were labeled as microwave safe which is why the lawsuit is coming around.

12. lpranal says:

This is the downside for getting paid to have your name used on things. When you let other people throw your name around, sooner or later, it will get dragged through the mud. Sooner or later companies have GOT to wise up to the fact we’re on to them- often there is absolutely no connection between a person’s “brand” and the actual person anymore.

13. Magister says:

Kind of like the Tracy Scott Meat Machine. ‘Meat is the New Bread’

It will injure people by squirting them with hot oil.

14. misskaz says:

I have dishes from IKEA that are like that – they get crazy hot in the microwave. However, I have no idea if they were actually labelled as microwave safe so I doubt I can start a lawsuit.

15. What kind of crazy technology is that? Are these plates made of water or metal something?

There are lots of substances besides water and metal that interact with microwave energy.

Some ceramic dishes absorb microwaves and get hot to different degrees – maybe just warmer than the food in them, maybe hot enough to shatter – and others don’t.

There are lots of ceramic formulations, and lots of glaze formulations too. Apparently quite a lot of glazed ceramics are unsuitable for use in a microwave, though of course most glazed ceramics are things (vases, teapots, bathroom tiles…) that you wouldn’t put in there in the first place unless you were conducting experiments.

It’s easy enough to tell whether a new dish is microwavable or not. Put it in the microwave empty, along with a glass of water. Run the microwave long enough that the water by itself should have become hot. See what’s happened.

If the dish is cool and the water’s hot, you’re A-OK. If they’re both warm then there’s no danger, but the dish is probably not a great choice for microwaving. If the water’s still quite cool but the dish is hot… that’s bad.

You’d think that big-brand ceramic plates and bowls would, these days, all either be microwave safe or very clearly labelled to the contrary. Apparently not, though.

16. clarity says:

My modern Fiestaware gets much too hot in the microwave – I thought it was a not uncommon problem.

17. factotum says:

Have you EVER seen Martha use a microwave? She uses the stove and oven for everything! One time, shortly after her new show started after her house arrest ended, she was showing her audience how to make a microwaved sandwich; and she DIDN’T KNOW how to work the “magic box”! Thank Jeebus for assistant producers to rescue the hapless host.

18. Kat says:

The culprit is melamine… all melamine dishes are not microwave safe. They should SAY on the package though, “not microwave safe.”

19. Chairman-Meow says:

Martha and her endorsements kind of remind me of the way Krusty the Clown will endorse anything that makes him a buck.

Krusty Cereal! Now with 20% less metal shavings!

20. timmus says:

Oh great, a class action lawsuit. I can hear those presses firing up right now, printing coupons for free Martha Stewart plastic toothpick dispensers for the “settlement”.

21. biggeek says:

Sounds like you have the same set of dishes from IKEA that I do. Most of the kitchen stuff sold there is pure crap and made in counties I can never pronounce. I wouldn’t be suprised if those IKEA plates were radioactive as well.

As far as Martha Stewart’s dinnerware, hell as far as ANYTHING going in the microwave…It needs to be tested first if it isn’t labelled “microwave safe.” My 70 y/o Mother knows what stuff in her kitchen can be used in a microwave. She also knows not to use plastic in the oven. It’s just common sense.

22. infinitysnake says:

Link to the exploding tables complaints:

Notice how early this started, and how recent the latest complaints are- how this is not nationa news is beyond me.