Target, Kohls Pull “Drinking Games”

Target and Kohls have stopped selling “drinking games”, “less than a month after drug prevention groups launched letter-writing campaigns that accused the retailers of promoting binge drinking by selling “Drinko” and similar games.”
“The board games, which have been sold for several years, contain no alcohol, and they may be bought by people of any age. It’s unclear whether such games have been linked to any deaths or serious injuries, but the controversy over them comes as anti-abuse groups are stepping up efforts to reduce binge drinking, particularly among teens and young adults.”

No drinko for you! —MEGHANN MARCO

Kohl’s and Target drop drinking games [APP]

Comments

1. acambras says:

Next they’ll be banning the sale of Solo cups and ping pong balls.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

The Price is Right + Alcohol = WIN!

3. MeOhMy says:

My Drinko is destined to become a valuable collectors’ item! Amusingly enough, when my friends gave this to me as a birthday present, we were astounded that the instructions actually say something along the lines of “Last man standing is declared the winner.” That’s got lawsuit written all over it.

4. kiloman says:

Anybody know a store that’s still selling this? Besides ebay…

5. The best drinking game is still Lightning Reaction:

It has all the earmarks of a classic, including the crucial drinking game mechanic that the more you drink, the more you are going to end up drinking, as it depends on reaction time and loser drinks. And gets an electric shock. Which presumably you care about less as you drink more. But you’re still getting drunkest.

6. PsychicPsycho3 says:

Did anyone else notice the shot glasses are out of order?

7. Citron says:

Drinko? Crap! I want that!

8. Gandhis_Revenge says:

We shout launch our own email campaign against prevention groups. Telling them to stop being our nannies.

9. denimpetal says:

I want that game, I am sick of this nanny culture. I will rebel in the way the politicians fear me to, by doing the opposite of what they drone on about day after day after day.
    Why the hell should I make the future this boring for my non-existant children?

10. HaxRomana says:

It is completely amoral and indecent of Target and Kohls to be selling such a game in the first place. I, for one, am utterly appalled and I am filled with rapturous glee at the news that the offending product has been removed from store shelves.

I mean, it looks like you could just make the thing yourself at home. What a ripoff.

11. Musician78 says:

Thank god that there are people out there to protect me from myself.

12. Panhandler says:

Before Christmas I saw a “kid’s game” called something like “Stack ‘Em!” It consisted of 10 plastic cups and a mat, and I immediately thought *Holy heck, they’re selling beer pong setups in disguise.* Imagine my surprise when my nieces got said “game” for Christmas. Imagine my further surprise to see that the cups have holes in the bottom rendering them useless for liquid-encasement. I guess I was wrong to think that a company would be so nefarious as to sell beer pong to pre-teens. It’s a real game after all.

13. LTS! says:

Well, the Stack’Em game is based on the competitive industry for cup stacking… BS you say? I give you…

WCSA – http://www.speedstacks.com/wcsa.htm

Good thing I got Drinko for Xmas. BTW, for New Years Eve we all played including my almost 3 year old son. Irresponsible parent? Nay sir. He drank apple juice but got to play the game of dropping a chip in the slot. My pregnant wife also played drinking water. It was more fun than anything else.

Cursed be my family for being responsible! Think for me.. THINK FOR ME!!!

14. Panhandler says:

Wow. Just… wow.

15. Negative says:

I got one for Christmas. It’s awesome!

16. infinitysnake says:

“It’s a real game after all.”

I saw that over chirstmas…I just do not get how one can be convinced to pay that kind of money for a box of solo cups?!