Hack Your Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner

Everyone loves the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner, except of course, for the people who don’t. The main reason not to love the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner is the fact that the refill costs $5.99.

This is stupid. And they know it’s stupid, which is why they try to prevent you from getting the cap off of the bottle. Thankfully, with some channellocks (or a strong hand) you CAN get the cap off of the shower cleaner and replace it with cheaper stuff that works just as well. Yes, you can refill your Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner for only a dollar. The same concept should work for Swiffer Wet Jets as well. —MEGHANN MARCO

Refill Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner for $1.00 [Instructables]
Hack Your Swiffer (Slightly More Complicated, Perhaps Needlessly) [Instructables]

Comments

1. d0x says:

Now if only someone could make a hack that would get this thing to work properly. From what ive heard it either…

A) Makes your shower worse
    B) Only cleans a small area because it doesnt have a big enough spray radius or enough power to spray to the back
    C) Same as above

2. Derek, IN says:

I have nothing but raves. You just have to start with a semi-clean shower, and it will maintain.

3. notallcompaniesarebad says:

I popped a whole in the bottom of the container through which I can pour new liquid (without removing from the showerhead) and used a silicon stopper (made for wine bottles) to cap it off. Prevents the whole “flip the device upside down so you don’t spray the gunk everywhere when you snap on the refilled bottle” thing.

4. notallcompaniesarebad says:

Oh, and while you can pay six bucks for refills, most places charge less than four (still high, IMO).

5. alhypo says:

Be careful. They might come after you claiming the product is being leased, not purchased. Therefore modifications are not permitted.

6. RD says:

Who has a good replacement for the spray? I discovered this hack on my own not too long ago, but I’m not sure which cleaners will work well and be safe to spray on my body soap and such.

7. FLConsumer says:

Method has a few “spray & go” shower cleaners out there. Smell’s a bit strong (fragrance), but it does seem to work. Even comes in large refill bottles if desired at SuperTarget.

As far as the automatic shower thing itself, they don’t spray very far/well unless your shower is the size of a sardine can. I’m not entirely alone on this view, as Eopinions lists mostly negative reviews for it.

I still don’t mind the extra 10 seconds it takes to manually spray the shower down — at least I know the ENTIRE shower gets a good dousing. C’mon Amerika, how lazy are we getting?

8. Kornkob says:

Consumer Reports wasn’t happy with it either, FWIW.

9. Frank Grimes says:

I just use the Method shower cleaner. We have a shower with tile and a glass door and the door still looks new (after a year and a half).

10. pambamboo says:

Just to keep on the Method theme – Scrubbing Bubble users: read that list of ingredients! Do you really want that poison soaking into your clean damp skin (the easy way to absorb stuff)? No, I didn’t think so. Method is all natural (for real) plant oils and good stuff. And the ylang ylang shower cleaner smells good and is soothing!

Dump Chemicals….aahh or something :)

11. slapshot24 says:

Another tip: buy the large-size sprayer refills at Costco to get them down to a couple bucks each. The hand-sprayer refills are a lot cheaper and if you don’t mind having about a gallon of it around then you can save big time.