The Ad Agency Of The Year: You

Take that, Time magazine! Ad Age has dubbed the “Consumer” the Ad Agency of the Year. Why? Viral video, of course. Its popular, it sells products and marketers are ripping it off. Consequently, we’ve had to sit through this horrific crap allllllll football season.

Anyway, congratulations, consumers. You’re the Ad Agency of the Year. P.S. Send more pictures, audio and video to this website. Thanks. —MEGHANN MARCO

Ad Age Agency of the Year: The Consumer [Ad Age]

Comments

1. AcilletaM says:

First Time’s person of the year and now Ad Age’s. I’m definitely not getting paid enough for the quality effort I put forth last year.

On the other hand, next year is going to be a big letdown if I don’t win these again.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

On this subject….for some reason, my stomach turns when I see that BMW commerical that uses the N64 kid. Probably because the internet fad has come, and gone, and then was recycled for the mainstream. Like old people in ads saying “Fo shizzle!”.

Things like the N64 kid are funny as they are an inside joke of sorts. Granted, there are a lot of people on the internet, so there are a lot of people in on it…but it is still inside from the “main stream”.

Next, we will see ads were people “don’t change facial expressions” or SUVs doing a “barrel roll”.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Is your name supposed to be Metallica backwards?

4. AcilletaM says:

Essentially yes though it’s misspelled.

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Hehe, I’ve done that. My tag for most other stuff is NJScorpio, and I signed up a forum (and posted for awhile) without realizing my tag was “NJScorio”.

6. AcilletaM says:

It’s a mistake made long ago in a much different environment (anyone remember Promenade? I think that’s the name, before it became/bought by AOL). The side effect of it is it’s a relatively unique username through the years whereas if I would have spelled it correctly it would not have been.

7. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Good point…and I’m sure a Metallica based tag doesn’t hold as much clout as it used to. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen then many times live…but still…the name hasn’t aged well.

8. AcilletaM says:

Same here and I agree.

9. I hate that ad where the two guys are using Tivo to skip the football game and go straight to the car ad. The sounds they make while drooling over the commercial are creepy and unnatural.

I wish they’d stop trying to rip off word-of-mouth advertising or pretend they have fan followings. You don’t get clients tatooing the name of your company on themselves by airing lame, expensive ads.

10. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Good point. I could imagine getting an awesome back tattoo, feature all of Sega’s great original characters….yet shudder at the idea of even the smallest of Sony logos on my body.

11. etinterrapax says:

My husband has expressed suicidal ideation during that BMW commercial. It appears to have put him off the brand completely.