Make It Nice Or Make It Twice

Two signs, one saying, “Make it nice or… make it twice!” and one saying, “Cooking is an art – be an ARTIST,” adorn the back wall of Tempo Presto! a Park Slope sandwich shop. Right now we’re eating a hot and sweet sopresatta w/ provolone, roasted red peppers & black olive tapanade on rosemary focaccia. It’s delicious.

Perhaps if other businesses took the sentiments expressed on the back signs as seriously as these sandwich masters do, dealing with customer service wouldn’t make us so sick to our stomach. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. timmus says:

Cool… I hope our girlfriend had a good lunch.

I’m now looking up what sopresatta, tapanade, and foccacia are. There’s no sandwich shop in our part of east Texas that will remotely do anything like this (why, why, why does there have to be culture to get good food?) so maybe I can make my own version of one of these sandwiches here at home.

2. DeeJayQueue says:

Ben you’re in park slope and you didn’t go check out the apartments that Gloria Trembicky owns?

3. schvitzatura says:

Ben, you should be at CES, with all your Gizmodo, Kotaku, and Jalopnik brethren!

Moving to NYC/Park Slope is enough on one’s plate for the first month of 2007, reckon?

4. valkin says:

I love their sandwiches. Try the Sicilian Chickpea Panelle next time. Delicious.

5. hoosier45678 says:

I don;t know about east Texas, but it cannot be as bad as it is in east Iowa. Here the old men swoon for pork loin sandwiches, which taste either of smoke or breadcrumbs, depending on how it’s ordered, and nothing more. I think they’ve been feeding the pigs gardenburgers.

6. homerjay says:

Wait a minute…. is this p-p-p-PRAISE?? Maybe 2007 won’t be so bad after all.

7. musicjunkieg says:

Ben-

you’re 10 minutes from my apartment. Wanna talk shop?

Bryan

8. Gari N. Corp says:

Tempo Presto? Damn, what kind of blogger are you? I know, some kind of pimp-daddy blogger. I bet your computer has, like, grills.

9. GRCAMPBELL says:

A sign does not a commitment to service make. Maybe I’m just bitter because I’m a Brooklyn hater. Queens for Life, son!

10. Ben Popken says:

@Music: What kind of shop?

@Gari: Gawker pays the bills, I have cool lights that shoot out the side of my laptop’s fan grills, does that count?

11. synergy says:

Ugh, New Yorkers.

*smirk*

12. OnoSideboard says:

timmus, if you’re in East Texas, you can’t be too far from Houston. Try The Black Walnut Cafe in Rice Village for fancy shmancy sandwiches, or Les Givral’s Kahve downtown for amazing vietnamese sandwiches, or the famous Gandalf sandwich at the Hobbit Cafe on Richmond. I’ve had great service at all three, too.

OK, you might be in Texarkana, in which case you are screwed.

13. TWinter says:

@hoosier45678

Iowa City is the only place in eastern Iowa with any kind of food scene and even they don’t have a REALLY good deli. But if you’re looking for a good sandwich try the Bread Garden on Clinton St. or the deli at the New Pioneer Food Co-op.