Xenadrine, TrimSpa, CortiSlim, One-A-Day Makers to Pay $26 Million

Bad, bad, bad. From Reuters:

Bayer AG and several smaller companies agreed to pay the U.S. government almost $26 million to settle allegations of false weight-loss advertising claims, the Federal Trade Commission said on Thursday.

The settlements involve Bayer’s One-A-Day WeightSmart multi-vitamin, as well as the diet pills CortiSlim, TrimSpa and Xenadrine EFX, which are made and sold by other companies.

“You’re not going to find weight loss in a bottle of pills,” FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras told reporters. The pills will still be sold, but with modified advertising.—MEGHANN MARCO

Bayer, others settle with US over weight-loss ads [Reuters]

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Several years ago, I lost a good ammount of weight from Xenadrine EFX. I was working out, but the main thing was that all the caffine or whatever was in it made it hard for me to swallow food, and ruined my appitite.

I remember the first day I was off of it I went to Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. I ended up eatting SO MUCH FOOD! Every stand I went to, I ate something, as if my body had built up hunger from weeks on those pills.

Note to all: Having a full digestive system makes roller coasters much less fun.

Anyway, the product worked, but was rather unhealthy, and made me feel to jittery.

2. Mr. Gunn says:

3. Falconfire says:

The issue wasnt if the product worked or not (all of them pretty much do to certain extents)

It was on how far they could go in their advertising. They cant go saying the pill will make you lose weight when infact none of them do, just give you more energy to make it easier for you to work out, which in turn makes you lose weight.

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Well, the pills (at the point at which I took them) stated that they worked in conjunction with diet and exercise. They did in fact boost my ability to do both (by making it hard to eat, and making me jittery so I had energy to work out).

I don’t think any of them say you can just take them, not change any other part of your routine, and loose weight.

5. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I forgot which brand it was (Cortislim?), but their television commercials claim that you will lose weight without any sort of diet or exercise. I’m surprised it took this long to get these companies busted for making blatant false claims.

Also, the next time you watch the Xenedrine commercial (the one with the young doctor), watch the last scene where he’s walking on the beach with the other chick that lost weight. If you look at his mid section, you’ll notice that his 6-pack is painted.

6. Hitchcock says:

Hey AB, I think back in the day the magic ingrediant in that pill (and others) was Ephedrine (Ephedra). You’re right, it is great a great appetite supressant and also does boost your energy levels. Too bad its very hard to find the stuff now due to a combination of hysteria over people dieing from overdosing and because it can easily be converted into Meth. Its much easier to stick with a diet when you don’t get as hungry and “fill up” quicker.

7. Chongo says:

@Hitchcock – it’s also been linked to heart valve problems.

8. Solo says:

“The fact that these guys and others like them having been selling the same stuff under different names since the 60s, and continue to make billions doing so, says something. I’m just not sure what.”

Well, I’ll help you here, it says the following:
    – People will believe anything that’s on TV (or the internet) as long as it looks convincing enough, or the lady is cute, or the guy is wearing a white coat.
    – People are willing to pay for what is known to require effort. “It’s hard to lose weight. Don’t try, but this pill”
    – Our government does not care about your health one bit. The fact that a mere disclaimer can prevent most of them to be sued (These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, this product is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease) is preposterous. Also, $26 million is less than a slap on the hand.
    – If these products really worked, they would be sold under prescription and make health professional/pharma companies even richer.

9. Falconfire says:

Solo, while your first three checks had some truth to them your last one

is the biggest bunch of conspiracy laden bullshit I have seen in ages.

Worth of a product does not dictate if something is sold under a prescription or not, its safety of its ingredients that does. Now these companies (many of whom actually ARE divisions of your pharama companies in case you didnt know) know that they are playing with fire if they actually list the compounds in these products, since they can actually be tested then. So they dont list them they go under the guise of naturally produced compounds which the FDA isnt allowed to regulate.

Thus the chemical makeup of something like Hydroxycut goes from a bunch of chemicals no one has ever heard of, to Oolong tea, Green tea, White tea, and Coffee.

Now the other reason they arnt seeking FDA testing is a dirty little secret… you CAN seek FDA testing on these things, but then you have to prove it works. By keeping it natural they can make it over the counter (and thus buyable by all without a script from a doctor) and still charge a arm and a leg for it (box of 2 weeks of Hydroxycut is about 40 dollars)

10. Citron says:

Lather, Relicore makes a pill called Relicore PM, which is the diet pill that claims to “take the edge off,” so that you can sleep off your belly fat. I kid you not, that quote is verbatim. Now if that isn’t outrageous and lazy, I don’t know what is.