Tax Tip: Mileage Calculator

What happens when a web developer has to drive to meetings and then needs to calculate the mileage for tax purposes? You win. Ade Olonoh has created a milage calculator that uses Google Maps and Google Calendar to make mileage calculations easy and quick. Ade says:

It’s pretty simple to use: you can enter any number of start/destination addresses and calculate mileage based on Google’s driving directions service. And if you have meetings scheduled in Google Calendar, you can enter your XML URL to pull events to calculate mileage based on the locations you’ve entered for those events.

Something to bookmark for tax time! —MEGHANN MARCO

Mileage Calculator [via Lifehacker]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

here is a good question, when is it ok to include your mileage for tax purposes?

Is it only self employed workers, or can everyone do it, or if say I work for someplace but use my car as the mode of transportation between buildings, but get payed for mileage am I allowed to include it for tax purposes?

That would be a really nifty thing to know.

2. cant resist the commenting on the cat photos, or repeating the ‘im in ur’ phrases

im in ur bedz
    eatin ur taxez

3. ValkRaider says:

If you get paid for mileage than you cannot claim it on taxes. Your company probably is…

And if you work for a company and don’t get reimbursed it is my understanding that you can claim it, but only mileage in excess of your regular commute.

I am not a CPA. :)

4. mschlock says:

That’s about what my bed looks like when I do my taxes too. Except my cat is black…

5. Musician78 says:

I have a black kittie too :) *Off Topic Alert* How can I put a picture up next to my name??

6. laughingdove says:

Great Link! So much easier than trying to remember to set my odometer for each new client. This will come in handy!

7. kenposan says:

My understanding is that there is a federal rate of reimbursement. If your company reimburses you at less than that rate, you can claim the difference. My company tracks our mileage and at what rate (it varies depending on current gas prices) and prints it out for us upon request at tax time.