NYC: Recycle Your Old Electronics This Weekend

Yes, we know not everyone lives in New York, but a lot of people do, and a lot of them have old electronics that they should recycle. From Gizmodo:

I know one of my resolutions this year was to get organized, and this would be the best way to start. Sure you may cherish that old 15-inch CRT monitor that weighs 60 pounds, but honestly, it isn’t worth a dime and just tossing it in the garbage isn’t good for the environment.

Take your crap to Union Square this Sunday from 8am to 4pm and be a better consumer. For the rest (most) of the planet, click here to learn about options in your area. —MEGHANN MARCO

Live in NYC? Recycle Your Old Electronics This Weekend [Gizmodo]

Comments

1. withapologies says:

does anyone know what the command is to wipe out all the data on your phone?

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I have a 10″ black and green NEC monitor I used with my Apple IIc, I just can’t bring myself to throw away. The picture is still very sharp, very clear….just…black and green.

3. pestie says:

“The command?” There’s no one command that universally does a secure wipe of all private data on a cell phone. In fact, even if you do find such a command (which will undoubtedly be specific to your make and model of phone), it’s very unlikely to actually erase the contents of the memory. It’ll just change some pointers to effectively say, “This is free space now, overwrite it at will!” Problem is, the data’s still there, and still accessible to a determined attacker.

If you’re paranoid about this (and there’s good reason to be), do what I tend to do with old, dead hard drives – smash them with a hammer. Seriously. If I have working drives I want to re-use, sure, I’ll hook ‘em up to a Linux box with a USB-to-IDE adaptor and do a wipe -k on them. But if the drive’s already dead? It’s hammer time!

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Hmm…I am looking to sell some old cell phones of mine on eBay…what is the best way of protecting myself, if regular deletion of info through the menus isn’t effective enough?

5. Sheik says:

I wonder if you get just use a huge magnet to wipe the data…

6. snowferret says:

What is with everything on thies blogs revolving around New York? Not THAT many people live in New York you know. This is the internet afterall.