Free Online Turbo Tax for State Farm Customers?

Rumors, rumors, rumors. Reader Kieran writes in with a link to a page on State Farm’s site:

File Your 2006 Income Tax for Free

Coming soon for State Farm customers who are registered online and have at least one policy or account viewable online…

Once again, Intuit, the creators of TurboTax, have agreed to provide you the ability to file your 2006 income tax online free of charge. Please check back after the first of the year to take advantage of this service.

Omigawd, rumors. Apparently, they did this last year too. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Ben Popken says:

Ben B. writes:

” If you’re a 1040EZ type of person, then go to the IRS.gov website and they’ll link you to Intuit’s online Turbo Tax with free Federal filings and a minor ($25) fee for the State filing.

Works fantastically, and $25 is worth not having to hassle with your State taxes since Turbo Tax takes most of the info from your Federal taxes.

Did it last year, gonna do it again this year.”

2. Citron says:

Wait, I e-filed for free with TurboTax last year, anyway. The government has a website with tons of different online tax software programs you can use, like TurboTax and H&R Block Tax Cut.

I looked at the website, and the programs aren’t up until the 16th, but if you make less than $52,000 a year, you’re eligible.

Free File Home

3. kerry says:

Woooo! I recently got back with State Farm to get condo insurance, and just last month put my account online. This morning I was thinking about whether or not I would buy TurboTax this year, looks like it’s been decided for me. Score!

4. Citron says:

Bleh, I just repeated you, Ben. That’s what I get for leaving the computer and not refreshing before posting.

5. if you make less than $52,000 a year, you’re eligible.

That’s way more than last year isn’t it? Didn’t used to be something around $27,000?

6. Mauvaise says:

Screw Turbo Tax. I tried unsuccessfully to file online two years in a row (last year I was going to pay to file the 1040 long), but it wouldn’t let me because it kept kicking back an error that my zip code wasn’t valid (it is).

First year I had to print out my forms and mail them in. Second year because I was paying, I wanted to file electronically because it’s quicker. I tried e-mail support, phone support, forum support, web chat support – no one could help me make the system recognise my zip code.

Finally, someone mentioned another online tax place called taxact.com. There, all 1040 (long or short) filing is FREE. No catches, no having to make under a certain gross income, no having to be member of some group. Just free. And their refund amount matched Turbo Tax’s exactly. I did pay the extra to file my state electronically and it was under $20.

http://www.Taxact.com – Know it – live it – love it.

7. billhelm says:

Web Turbo Tax support is a non-existent joke. Just warning y’all. if you have any problems with it, good luck getting any help.

8. Rusdude says:

I’ve filed two sets of tax returns (usually 1040A’s) using TurboTax for the last 5-6 years without any issues. I’m in Texas so no state tax for me and the federal part was free (free programs until last year; through State Farm last year).

The only complaint I ever had is that it took them awhile to implement Hurrican Katrina/Rita-related updates.

9. holocron says:

Just FYI, yes, I confirmed this. If you register for their online account management, you get the federal and state TurboTax Online FREE, along with FREE E-file.