Threatening To Cancel Cable Can Get You Discounts

As we mentioned yesterday, threatening to cancel your cable for another provider can sometimes unleash a shower of freebies and rebates as the company tries to get you to stay.

Reader David took our advice and chopped $55 off his monthly cable bill.

Check out his success story inside…

David writes:

“Thank you very much for the recent article on Comcast,with information about getting discounts. I live in Newton, Mass where we now have three cable/multi-service providers including Comcast, Verizon and RCN. In addition, our mayor has agreed to install city-wide wireless internet. All of this should mean rate competition and lower prices — but instead Comcast is increasing prices effective this month.

So I called Comcast according to your suggestions, let them know that I know very little about the various services, said I was shopping around, etc. I talked to a customer rep. that would not budge on cost other than to offer more services for the same cost. But this rep. was extremely helpful even if he didn’t know it. He suggested that when I’m done shopping around, to call for service cancellation at Comcast and the representative there would likely offer a discount.

You guessed it — I called right back without spending any time with another greedy cable conglomerates and received $55 off my bill each month. No changes in service. I would not have invested my time without your encouragement through The Consumerist.

Keep up the good battle.

Regards,
    David”

— BEN POPKEN

Previously: Comcast Sets 60-Day Waiting Period For Customers Snagging Discounts By Threatening to Leave

Comments

1. mfergel says:

I may have to do this as soon as Verizon adds some more lines or maybe I should just tell them I am going to dish.

2. $55 less each month for how many months? 6 months right? Maybe only 3? Try as I did prior to cancelling my cable, they would not give me a permanent price break, only “special offers” that lasted for 6 months…

If you got a permanent price break of $55, please do tell us how that conversation went.

3. Darren W. says:

I recently tried to switch from my Adelphia cable modem to Verizon DSL. Verizon told me I was out of range to get DSL. I called Adelphia anyway, telling them I was about to switch, and they dropped my bill from $46 to a cool $9 A month!

4. Darren W. says:

Good point, crayonshinobi. My discount was also only for 6 months. Of course I’ll be calling them again in May.

5. Scott says:

I live in the Maryland, just outside DC,where Comcast and RCN are offering competing bundled service plans for approximately $99.00 per month. I currently have RCN and was paying $109.00 per month for basic cable, internet and unlimited local and long distance phone services. I called them up and said I was going to switch to Comcast because they offered basic digital cable in their bundled service plan for the same price. RCN said they would give me a $30.00 loyalty discount for full digital cable which actually reduced my bill by $5.00. They also gave me DVR for an extra $8.00 a month. Total cost before taxes $112.00 which includes full digital cable with premium channels excluding HBO package and Dual Tuner HD DVR box.

6. kaycee says:

This isn’t cable, but a friend of mine wasn’t happy when her DSL bill went up after one year from the introductory offer of $14.95 a month to $34.95 a month. I told her to call back and tell them that she would not be able to pay that amount, had not been notified that it would go up, and she might have to go back to dial-up. The CSR at first said that was the way it was. But my friend continued to talk to the CSR politely, asking her if there was anything else she could do, and she then offered to extend her service at $14.95 a month. She didn’t state a time limit, but it has been nearly a year and the rate hasn’t risen.

I’m very jealous, by the way. I don’t live in a more rural area than my friend, but I’m 2 miles away from DSL service, and AT&T has no plans in the foreseeable future to bring us into their coverage area. We’ve been paying an obscene amount for DirecWay for several years, until just last month a small local company began offering wireless service to us – two to three times as fast and for $10 less a month. Still, I’m paying more than twice what my friend is!

7. conedude13 says:

I have comcast now, and I used to have the digital cable package that was about $70. Then I went and bought the D-Link media player and signed up for the $10 antenna package.

the antenna package is for channels 2 through 23 and is a service provided by comcast through your existing cable line, no actual antenna is placed on your house. the media adapter streams my downloaded content to my tv wirelessly and is crystal clear. So that knocked off $60 of our cable bill. The media adapter was about $250, but will pay for itself within a year and the savings will continue to skyrocket after that. more on how i set that up here:

8. matrixhax0r says:

Okay, where’s that neat picture from?

9. RHazlett says:

What do you do when Comcast is the only provider in town? Sure I could go and get a dish, but that doesn’t seem like a true alternative to me seeing that I live in an apartment complex.

How are large companies such as Comcast allowed to come into a city and basically own a majority of the services?

10. josh1701 says:

If you live in the City of Philadelphia and you want to watch the Comcast SportsNet-Philadelphia channel, which airs the majority of Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers games, you have to be a Comcast subscriber.

For obvious reasons, Comcast doesn’t offer the channel to DirecTV and the Dish Network and it doesn’t have to because the the channel is transmitted via a closed-wired system instead of satellite. According to a recent article in The Philadelphia Inquirer, “The two companies have less than 10 percent of the Philadelphia market, compared with 26 percent nationally.”

Interestingly enough, Comcast is offering the channel to Verizon’s new fiber-optic TV service, which will be available throughout suburban Philadelphia but not yet within the city limits.

Verizon set to take on Comcast

11. josh1701 says:

If you live in the City of Philadelphia and you want to watch the Comcast SportsNet-Philadelphia channel, which airs the majority of Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers games, you have to be a Comcast subscriber as Comcast is the sole cable provider in Philadelphia.

For obvious reasons, Comcast doesn’t offer the channel to DirecTV and the Dish Network and it doesn’t have to because the channel is transmitted via a closed-wired system instead of satellite. According to a recent article in The Philadelphia Inquirer, “The two companies have less than 10 percent of the Philadelphia market, compared with 26 percent nationally.”

Interestingly enough, Comcast is offering the channel to Verizon’s new fiber-optic TV service, which will be available throughout Philadelphia’s suburbs but not yet within the city limits.

Verizon set to take on Comcast

12. facted says:

I just called Time Warner here in NYC with my only threat being the ability to switch to Verizon DSL (there is no cable competition allowed in my building). They took the bait and gave me better speed for the introductory rate, albeit for 6 months. But the way I see it, in 6 months, I’ll just call back and switch back down in internet speed or just tell them I’m going to Verizon unless they keep my price down…Alas, a game of cat and mouse :)

13. jacques says:

Josh – interesting. They do offer a few other CSNs on DirecTV, like the Atlantic and Chicago areas.

14. Papa K says:

When I called to do the “give me a deal or I’ll cancel with you” got me canceled. Damn you, Ohio!

15. Papa K, expect a call from your cable company to “confirm your cancellation.” They’ll offer you another “deal” at that time too. So all is not lost, though I think you’ll find you’re better off without them.

16. I’ve used a variation of this against time warner to great success. I simply called and said “I got a flyer from dish network with a price about $30 less than what I’m paying now for the same service (which was true btw), but I’d like to stay with you, what can you do?” A few offers later I had more channels for $25 less a month for a year. Good times.