Messiah The Cat Gets $4200 Credit Card

Meow! Meow! That’s the sound of Messiah, a cat, charging expensive lingerie on his new credit card.

Interested in testing out her bank’s security, Melbourne, Australia resident Katherine Campbel signed up her cat “Messiah” as a secondary credit card holder.

Initially the Bank of Queensland asked for Messiah’s ID, but sent him a credit card days later without receiving so much as a paw print.

“It’s a bit scary and it’s a big problem,” said Ms. Campbell of bluffing the bank’s security system. “It was very easy to do and I’m not even a professional crook.” — BEN POPKEN

Messiah the cat gets credit card with $4000 limit [news.com.au]

Comments

1. Xkeeper says:

“We have investigated the issue and it appears the bank has made an error,” she said. “We apologise as this should not have happened.”

We’re sorry we screwed up and issued a huge-limit credit card to someone in Nigeria. Please accept our apologies as we endlessly charge you insane amounts of cash for our fuckup.

Yeah. Oops.

Somehow, I have a feeling that it really is that easy to get another card there… and signatures can always be forged.

2. acambras says:

More kitties! Yay!

3. Dustbunny says:

They forgot to mention that Messiah promptly went out and charged $1,000 worth of salmon and catnip on his new card.

4. Meow. I warned you all about the cat conspiracy.
    Lemme try my hand at this,

im in ur face
    eatin ur cardz

im in ur bankz
    eatin ur cashz

Okay, I’m no good at it. Anyone else want to give it a try.

5. aka Cat says:

Unless she also got them to send Messiah’s card to a different address, this isn’t news.

I’ve had a secondary card issued for one of my ‘net names for years.

If that’s not a feature you’re interested in, make sure the credit card company knows not to issue a secondary card on your account for an alias.

6. Kangarara says:

I’m with CatMoran – if she’s already validated in as the primary cardholder, why the hell shouldn’t they issue a secondary one. I guess the risk is that someone else might sign up as a secondary holder without you knowing it, but then that’s just normal identity theft, no? Successfully passing as her?

(BTW – banks don’t care if you have a card in an alias? Why am I just learning this now???)

7. ndavies says:

We should celebrate this as a milestone in the animal rights movement. One more step towards citizenship!

8. Optimistic Prime says:

What I want to know is, did the cat get a low APR on his purrr-chases…

9. Chairman-Meow says:

I’m yur Catz
    Chargin yur blingz

10. Citron says:

My cats lick their own butts for startling long periods of time. They don’t get to have credit cards until they stop doing that.

11. Citron says:

Whoops, meant to type “startlingly.” Sorry.

12. RumorsDaily says:

I have a credit card in an alternate name, linked to my primary account. Is this really a threat to anybody?

13. thrillhouse says:

This isn’t so much a threat to security as it is an example of how stupid the lending industry is today. They are so eager to screw you that they will issue credit to dead people and pets (and apparently on-line aliases too).

So the next time someone raves about the great credit card they just got, think about that kitty in Australia – no credit score, no credit history, no job. further proof that credit cards have nothing to do with success.

14. Xkeeper says:

It could easily become a threat… All you’d have to do is just intercept the card, and unless the target recieves their mail direct (or it’s stored in boxes, which it isn’t here) it’s pretty easy to just take walk up and take it.