Dude Fixes His iBook By Lighting it On Fire

Yes, seriously. We’ll not go into how or why fire fixed his busted, out-of-warranty iBook (you can read the full explaination on his blog), but since we find ourselves posting videos of people destroying things with fire, and angry customers lighting the Walgreens on fire, we thought we’d show someone fixing something with fire. Um, naturally, don’t do this. Even if Apple Care pisses you off. —MEGHANN MARCO

DIY Obsolete iBook Logic Board Repair [Geek Technique via Make]

Comments

1. Wait wait, so after he:

…needed a couple of these burn-sessions to get it right. I even ran out of alcohol and switched to white spirit (with a candle wick in the cup to get it going)

He finally got it to work! Amazing.

I mean why solve a problem that can be safely tackled with a few pieces of metal forcing contact between the chip and the logic board when you can just burn the damn thing. Kids these days :> (sorry if this is a double post…)

2. Meg Marco says:

Fire.

3. Ass_Cobra says:

When my iBook invariably dies, I will give this a whirl. I am going to back up my data while I still can though. My idiocy and procrastination have lasted long enough.

4. forgeten says:

oooh pretty

5. B says:

I don’t know the scientific explanation, but fire made it good.

6. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

VERY nice fix. I work in a factory and BGA’s (Ball Group Assembly) SUCK!! We are always having to reflow those parts on boards because if 1 ball out of 100 gets a crack in it from the smallest stress, then its junk. You can only re-flow them once or twice and then they are no good because of all the heat. With electronics getting smaller and smaller, these replaced the old IC’s that had pins coming out from the sides of them. With the solder balls on the bottom it frees up that much more real estate on the board and you can cram more on it.

7. Klink says:

I think it’s like the XBox 360 “Towel Trick.”
    The extreme heat causes the metal chip connections to melt and re-solder together, forming a better connection.