Walmart Nazi Tshirt Watch: Day 52

http://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/walmartnopixshirt-thumb.jpg?w=150&h=112Fifty-two days after t-shirts bearing Nazi insignia were discovered in Walmart, the retailer has yet to remove them from all their stores, despite promises to do so within days. These pictures were taken on December 31 by reader John. Apparently, Walmart wants to go into the new year putting the right goose step forward.

We particularly enjoy the Walmart cashier’s expression. Probably seconds before she told John, “you can’t take pictures in Walmart.” John writes:

“I just don’t get what is so difficult about removing 10-15 t-shirts from every store! They don’t have *that* many stores… It just cannot be this difficult. Anyway, point being… Wal-mart is run by a bunch of retarded monkeys who like to fling poo at each other….”

John’s letter continues inside…

John continues:

“….And I have some imagery from today, December 31st… A picture of two t-shirts I found in my local Wal-mart, and another of the register saying “Sell not allowed” (you’d think Wal-mart could spell, but no… And sorry if it’s a bit blurry. I pulled a surprise shot.) After taking the photo, the lady in the shot told me that I couldn’t take pictures in Wal-mart. Funny, didn’t see any signs. Funny, there weren’t any signs at which she could point to tell me that I was not allowed to take pictures in Wal-mart. Even if there were…. Still, screw Wal-mart, they’re in cahoots with the Nazis and Adolf Hitler. (Admit it, you know he’s still alive.)

Frankly, I don’t really care to reveal the location of this store… At least that way Wal-mart might scramble to get them off the shelves at ALL stores. And for the more rational of those among us… Seriously… Look at the facts. 10-15 shirts in every store. A few thousand stores. A few secretaries that are being paid way too much to not do anything. And finally, the inability to spell correctly on the registers. “Retarded monkeys” is looking like a pretty good explanation of this whole thing…

Have a good one,
    jhn”

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Does that mean if you steal them you’re doing them a favor?

2. jonom says:

Does anyone really care about this?

3. Hoss says:

i do care when people are uncaring

4. Hawkins says:

I love this blog. I read it every day. Sometimes more than once a day. This is how much I love it.

BUT:

The Nazi T-Shirts at Wal-Mart story was old and used up weeks ago. Wal-Mart will NEVER remove all the shirts from every store. This means that, whenever there’s a need for a quick, no-effort story, they can say, “Wal-Mart Nazi T-shirt Watch: Day 9,213! And look, the Wal-Mart cashier looks stupid! Ha, ha!”

I hope this blog is better than that.

5. madderhatter says:

The hell with the Nazi shirt, who’s the Wal-Monster behind the register ?

6. Hoss says:

The families of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman freak when they see OJ’s name — we understand that. Shouldn’t The Consumerist be concerned about the families and survivors of the holocaust — what’s the difference?

(No Jonom — the families of Nicole and Ron don’t give a chit that OJ was a great football player before he was a murderer)

7. Jesse in Japan says:

Um… shouldn’t the register read “Sale not Allowed?”

8. Mike_ says:

jonom: On reading the wikipedia article on the subject of the graphic, it proved my assumption that the graphic was in use long before the Nazis got hold of it.

Wal-Mart prides itself on leading the industry in inventory and supply-chain management. What excuse could they possibly have for leaving these things on store shelves? I can think of two possibilities:

(1) Wal-Mart is so massive, there’s no possible way they could remove all recalled merchandise from their shelves. (So what happens when the offending product is contaminated infant formula instead of an offensive T-Shirt?)

(2) Indifference. Wal-Mart doesn’t care that you find Nazi T-Shirts offensive.

9. riggs says:

I saw a documentary on MSNBC not too long ago, called “the Age of Wal-Mart.” Or something along those lines. I remember there was a scene in this massive room filled to the hit with giant monitors that were tracking inventory. The exec who was showing this off said something along the lines of “If one store sells a fuse, we want to be able to see it leave the inventory that we see here within a couple minutes.” This makes makes me wonder:
    1) Is it that they exaggerated this kind of ability to the nth degree?
    Or:
    2) Is it, as Mike said above, indifference?

10. riggs says:

Hilt. Filled to the hilt. Can’t type today.

11. Chris Gibson says:

After I got done rolling my eyes (Oh my God, another Wal-Mart-Nazi-Shirt article on The Consumerist?!?), I realized that I actually kinda hope Wal-Mart DOES just leave the shirts for sale. As Violent Acres captured nicely in her blog, we’ve become a nation full of wussies who are afraid of offending anyone. Perhaps Wal-Mart is just giving us, the easily offended masses, the Wal-Mart Finger(tm?) instead of the Wal-Mart Happy Face(tm!). Good for them. And wow, would I have ever thought I’d start off 2007 saying “way to go, Wal-Mart? No! Guess this stupid shirt thing really has gone on long enough … unless you’re planning to go for Nightline’s 400+ day record in tracking a single issue!

12. TPIRman says:

I don’t get all the haters. The Wal-Mart Nazi T-Shirt story is awesome, and it gets better with every update. May it never die. We’ve come this far; we’ve got to see it through and find out exactly how incompetent the nation’s Wal-Marts can be.

13. ElizabethD says:

I’m with Johnny. Love the updates; love that Wal-Mart looks so lame.

14. dawnjoy says:

I love the Wal-Mart Nazi T-Shirt story as well. Of course, I also love the royal we.

15. AcilletaM says:

Yeah, I like the updates. This isn’t the 20 posts in a day-and-a-half. Wal-Mart said they would do something and they really haven’t. Why just prevent the sale and not remove the shirts? Are they waiting for the furor to die down so they can just flip the switch again and allow sales? We shouldn’t hold them accountable for what they said they would do?

16. moejuda says:

Count me as onne more voice in favor of these posts. Yikes people, just skim over the articles you aren’t intersted in. No need to throw a hissy fit.

17. Sheik says:

Yeah, I’m with Moejuda. Instead of just not reading the posts they don’t enjoy people are posting about how they don’t want to read these posts. Seems sort of silly.

18. I don’t get it — since they won’t remove them from stock, but nobody can buy them because they ring up unsaleable, what’s WalMart going to do with them? Let them compost on the shelf? Wait for them all to get shoplifted?

19. DutchFlat says:

WHY are your shorts in a stretch over a silly skull-and-crossbones T-shirt. It’s not nazi at all. No, I don’t own or wear anything even close. But, if Consumerist is really concerned over a really evil product, why don’t you go after Grand Theft Auto?

20. Myron says:

I don’t understand why they can’t get the product off the shelves. What does Walmart do when a product is recalled for health reasons, like finding glass in the trail mix?

21. NeonCat says:

Dammit, all the Wal-marts I’ve been to don’t have the shirts at all. Either there’s a lot of Nazis in my area or they were pulled.

22. I think we all should just steal ‘em as we see ‘em. It’s not like Wal Mart can sell them.

23. jonom says:

Mike_: The swastika was in use long before the Nazis made it their own, and Adolf was once a popular given name in German-speaking countries. What’s your point?

And the swastika is still in use by many cultures around the world.

My point is that it is a non-issue. Everyone knows what the Nazi version of the swastika looks like, and who Adolf was.

Would anyone have known it was a graphic used by the Nazis if someone hadn’t pointed it out and made a stink about it? I’ve studied a fair bit on WWII but would have been hard pressed to tell if I’d seen the graphic before.

If they were selling shirts with rotated swastikas in a white circle on a red background I could see an issue.