Parents Think Bratz Baby Doll Says “Fuck You”

Is there no end to the foul things parents hear their children’s toys say? Already this season Ariel the Mermaid has been accused of calling people “sluts.” Now the Bratz baby is saying fuck you to people. Could it be that the doll is singing “So Cute?” That’s what the lyrics posted on the Bratz website say, but that didn’t stop parents from alerting the media. In the news reports they actually beeped out “So Cute” when they played the song, as if that was going to help parents make an informed decision about whether or not “so cute” sounds too much like “fuck you” for their tastes.

“It’s not a word we say in our house,” says Dawn Hamburg of St. Louis, MO.

Dawn. It’s “so cute.” Sometimes we feel like Snopes.com, for pete’s sake.—MEGHANN MARCO

Bratz Babys Theme Song Lyrics [Bratz.com]
Listen to the “uncensored” version of the Bratz Baby Theme song [Bratz.com]
Doll May Sing Expletives (With Video!) [WLBT]
Florida Family Gets Bratz Doll That Swears (With Video!) [CBS 4 Boston]

Comments

1. Kangarara says:

But.. but.. won’t somebody PLEASE think of the children!

2. weave says:

ok, that was a joy (sarcasm) to find that song.

Go to the home page, mouse over “music and videos” and choose “Baby Bratz the Movie”, then wait for the annoying intro music, click Music at the bottom, then after another annoying wait, it will be #2 choice. Click Play, listen to them say “So Cute.”

I *did* think it said Fuck You at first but it clearly is So Cute. I think those who think they hear Fuck You are the ones who need help (yes, that includes me, but at least I admit it)

ps, you all owe me for clicking around that horrible site looking for the quickest path to that song! :)

3. Musician78 says:

I have noticed that most people who say, “that is not a word we say in our house”, often say whatever word it is that they “don’t say in [their] house”. Fascinating.

4. LRM216 says:

Unfortunately, with the way society and the world is using this word so freely today, it’s just a matter of time before it truly is one of baby’s first words!

5. Tom says:

Given that every single Bratz doll that I’ve ever seen looks like the women that Prince used to date back in the eighties, and that the parents think that they’re suitable toys for children regardless, I don’t see what the problem would be even if the Bratz sang “Darling Nikki”, with appropriate gyrations.

6. Erzengel says:

The song thing may be some bs to get some attention or money, but i still think Bratz are not really good rolemodels for small girls. I dont have kids yet, but theres no way i ever buy a bratz doll to any child i care for.

7. kerry says:

I’ve hated these damned dolls since their inception, mostly because they seemed to have distilled the absolute worst images a little girl could ever aspire to into one obnoxious doll. My boyfriend and I want to come out with a knockoff version called “Bitchz.”
    I wouldn’t be surprised if a Bratz doll told me to fuck myself. Aren’t they supposed to be brimming with attitude?

8. d0x says:

So let me get this straight..

9. viriiman says:

kerry: Let me know when you’re going to sell your line of dolls. I’ll gladly buy them, as the name you have for the dolls is a lot closer to the truth.

Bratz (to me) really seem to reinforce a negative stereotype about how young girls should act, dress, etc.

(just my .002 cents)

10. juri squared says:

The NBC-5 news here in Chicago bleeped it out, leaving my husband and I trying to figure out what swear sounds like “cute.” Thanks for clearing that up for us.

At any rate, the daughter we’ll be having in March will not be allowed to own any Bratz merchandise anyways.

11. etinterrapax says:

Bratz merchandise violates my aforementioned rule about kids and attitude, and also, they’re ugly, lousy role models, and generally irritating. They, among other things, make me grateful that I had a boy.

12. acambras says:

Muppets. Not even the slutty little Bratz dolls can beat the Muppets.

13. DeeJayQueue says:

All the debate over the good/not good for kids thing aside, maybe the toy makers wouldn’t have so many problems with people misunderstanding the words their dolls are saying if they’d use higher quality samples in them. The same goes for websites that downsample the music so much that it sounds like mush. Of course you’re not going to be able to tell “So Cute” from “Fuck You” when all you can really hear is “fffffffshmo schoooo!!”

14. spanky says:

d0x: Those dolls do NOT look like ten year old whores! You must be thinking of the regular “Bratz” line. These are “Baby Bratz,” which look like three year old whores.

15. Tom says:

spanky: Looks like you got a strong entry for the 2006 You Win The Internets Award, just under the wire.

16. Michael says:

Well, if I worked 94.5 hours a week and only made 17 cents for each Bratz doll I put together, I’d make damn sure it said F.U.

(http://www.nlcnet.org/live/article.php?id=197)

17. brkl says:

The dolls could say nothing that’s more offensive than the way they look.

18. Xkeeper says:

He has my vote. That was just gold.

In other news, playing the newest Sony rootkit CD backwards reveals ‘Buy our PS3s you fucking morons’. Internet phenomonon pending.

19. jacques says:

Wonder if that one was filled with pot too

20. Yeah, nothing this doll could say would be more offensive than the way it looks and is marketed, so who cares? I’d rather have a 3-hour rap session with my daughter on all the juiciest ways to use the word “fuck” than let her sit through a single commercial for this crap. (The word “fuck” isn’t going to teach her to act like a whore, and I’d rather have a bad-mouthed kid than a slutty one any day. Swearing is a lot less likely to ruin your life!) That parents can pretend to give a crap about what their children are exposed to while handing them toys like this is pretty mind-boggling.

THAT SAID, however, I can’t blame the parents too blithely. As other parents know, when there’s a toy on the market and kids learn about it, you almost have no choice but to let them have it — other kids have it, they’re hearing about it, and to categorically forbid it only makes them more obsessed with it. Companies really should be held to higher standards of what they can offer to children, in the public’s best interest, because parents aren’t the Steel Walls of Protection that we all wish we were. My husband and I have already decided that though we hate Bratz with every fiber in our beings, the best we can do to keep them away from our daughter is refuse to buy them with our money. If she gets ahold of one anyway (her money, or a gift, etc.) there’s really little we can do, since taking it away will only reinforce her fascination with their vile little paradigm. It’s agonizing, and it makes me want to get a shotgun and have a talk with some toy companies.

21. Scazza says:

” d0x says:

So let me get this straight..

In “their” house its wrong to say “fuck” but its ok to give their kids dolls that look like 10 year old whores? Interesting!”

Seriously, just my thoughts. They are little skanks that encourage imatation….

22. Amy Alkon says:

I like MaryMarsalaWith Fries.

And come on, kids are teabagging on the playground and the parents are worried about a doll that could be saying “fuck you.”

Correct response: “No, it doesn’t darling.” Case closed. Well, except for parents who like to see their big, ugly mugs on the news.

23. Amy Alkon says:

Oh yeah, and as Albert Ellis, the 90-something co-father of cognitive behavioral therapy says when he hears somebody say “fuck you” — “No, unfuck you. Fucking’s a good thing.”

24. CTShay says:

How about the fact that these dolls are all wearing clothes I don’t even want to see on 21 yr. olds, let alone 8 yr. olds? How about the fact that they’re made up to look like the belong in the red light district? Parents buying these dolls are saying “fuck you” to their daughters’ innocence anyway, why not add in a few expletives. And the only reason anyone would hear “fuck you” in that song is if they’re familiar with the term, hopefully the kids recieving these dolls on Christmas morning don’t have it as a part of their vocab.