JC Penney Can Not Deliver A Mattress

Natalie was having a bad week, so she went hog wild and ordered a mattress and frame from JC Penney, but their subcontracted delivery service just couldn’t seem to deliver the damn thing. First they rescheduled with no notice: “Hi, we’re here a day early!”, then they showed up without Natalie’s frame.

I call the outsourced delivery service AGAIN – the frame will be delivered sometime the week of the 11/26 – well, that didn’t happen. I called and they tell me “we just got it in” and will be in your area December 2 nd. You’ll get a call the day before as to when the time will be – I wait and I wait today. I called JC Penneys twice to complain and put in two reports. Currently, that report is in limbo with customer relations. I may hear back from them next week, but not holding my breath.

Ugh, this is why we just go to IKEA and do everything ourselves. Yes, it seems more annoying, but honestly sometimes it’s just worth it. Paying $118 dollars for jerks to not deliver a mattress is uncool. We also recommend buying products like this from stores that specialize in them. Anyway, the best part of Natalie’s email?

The icing on this cake is that I ordered a little something to go with my new mattress. Not from JC Penney! I’ll give you a few hints. I’m replacing an old one. It’s semi-expensive. I’m recently broken up with my boyfriend and the product requires 4 Double A batteries….(:
    I anxiously waited a whole week for this product – it finally arrived yesterday, and they sent me the wrong item! In fact, they sent me two items half the size – they’re each called the “Mini Mouse” –
    OY!!!

Natalie is having a baaaad week. Let’s all show her some love in the comments while she waits for her shipping refund. —MEGHANN MARCO

Natalie’s email inside…

Natalie writes:

“First of all, thank you for dealing with the messy effects of consumerism and customer service! I can’t tell you how much I hate both– I do all of my shopping online because I can’t stand stores and the crowds anymore, but unfortunately, now I’m starting to experience bad customer service through my online orders as well! It’s so frustrating -

Anyway, so I finally decided to say “screw it” and charged a nice full Serta mattress and frame on my Mastercard. I’ve been having back issues for 2 years because I sleep on my roommate’s old, ragged, twin day bed. Found a good deal on JCPenney.com. I really don’t ever order from them, but you know how expensive mattresses are, so the 40% discount was thrilling. As you know, delivery charges get expensive — $118 just to get the mattress and frame to my door, and they won’t set it up either. Bought the mattress November 14th – they called to say they were delivering in my area, Saturday, Nov 17th. I was supposed to be home from 3-7pm. 7:45pm rolls around and no word. I call the delivery service, not JCPenney, the delivery service they subcontracted to! They had no idea where their delivery guy was – he wasn’t answering his phone! So, no, I wouldn’t be getting the mattress that night. Not only did I have to call them and ask, but they didn’t know when they’d be delivering the following week. Instead, I called them on Monday. Said that I’d be home Wednesday. Fine. Confirmed. Supposed to be coming Wednesday. Tuesday morning I get a wake-up call saying they are coming that afternoon! Okay. Once again, I accommodate and have my landlady let the delivery guy in.

That evening, post-delivery, I get a call from the delivery guy. He noticed that my order had a frame and he wasn’t sent with the frame! I mean, who delivers the mattresses without a frame? Getting very mad at this point and really want at least a delivery fee refund!

I call the outsourced delivery service AGAIN – the frame will be delivered sometime the week of the 11/26 – well, that didn’t happen. I called and they tell me “we just got it in” and will be in your area December 2nd. You’ll get a call the day before as to when the time will be – I wait and I wait today. I called JC Penneys twice to complain and put in two reports. Currently, that report is in limbo with customer relations. I may hear back from them next week, but not holding my breath. Supposedly, they have to “decide” whether or not to refund my delivery fee. If I wasn’t so desperate for a new mattress, I would have had them take the whole thing back a week ago!

OY!!!

Natalie”

(Photo:Zesmerelda)

Comments

1. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

the problem with these “outsourced” delivery companies is it allows the place you bought the stuff from to wash their hands of any delivery problems, and since it’s not UPS or one of the larger carriers where you can track your shipment, it really maximizes the amount they can jerk you around (never mind they can charge whatever they want, and say “this is the only company we use to deliver”).

Something similar happened when I ordered kitchen cabinets from IKEA. 2 drawer fronts were backordered, so the shipper was going to wait 4 more weeks than I was told I would have the shipment. IKEA could then say the shipper had not told them this. I got them to deliver the rest of the order, but had to pick up the back ordered pieces myself, as it would have cost $135 to deliver them (because no UPS ground).

2. snazz says:

i hope that you were supposed to be shipped ‘the rabbit’ … its the best!

nice picture selection, ben!

3. multiball says:

Bah, rabbit shmabbit. Buy the Hitachi Magic Wand.

4. Do you have a contract of some sort for the delivery? This EXACT THING just happened to my (lawyer) brother; he bought a mattress on sale and they called him and told them they couldn’t make the delivery date. Blah blah blah unacceptable, sleeping on the floor, blah blah blah. Company says it’s not their problem. He says he’ll tell the credit card company to remove the charge for the mattress and delivery, go buy the same mattress at another store, have it delivered, and have the bill sent to the non-delivering store.

“You can’t do that!” said the horrified customer service person.

“OH YES I CAN!” said McGee lawyer brother, and then rattled off the substantial performance sections of the UCC.

He got escalated (really very quickly) by panicked reps to the regional manager who conceded he was right and if they knocked down the price some more, would he allow them to deliver it late?

Upshot, he got the $1200 mattress set + delivery charges for $250 flat.

5. Mauvaise says:

“i hope that you were supposed to be shipped ‘the rabbit’ … its the best!”

Couldn’t have been – the Rabbit takes “C” batteries. Er… I mean: what’s a “rabbit”?

6. TedSez says:

I’d be very careful with your advice to “buy products like this from stores that specialize in them.” Mattress stores are among the most unscrupulous businesses around.

7. Magister says:

Just go to Sam’s club to buy your mattresses. Then get a buddy with a truck to help get it home. Heck, he could even help with the mini-mouse prob…

8. Meg Marco says:

TedSez, Good point.

9. acambras says:

TedSez is right about being careful about “stores that specialize.”

If Natalie buys her rabbit from Petco, she’s in for a tremendous disappointment.

10. Solo says:

I bought a leather chair from a discount store, set the delivery date 2 weeks ahead.

They showed up past 6pm, looked like they were in a real hurry and they did not have the feet (4 little 3 inches high feet)

They wanted my wife to sign for delivery and “We’ll send the feet by mail to your house”

Her answer: “You can leave the chair but until I receive complete delivery, I’m not signing jack shit”.

Then they took the chair back. Mumbling they’ll be back “sometimes another day when they have time, maybe”

I called the store and they quickly passed the buck up and up until I talk to the department manager. I calmly explained that we had a deal to have the chair delivered today and they are not holding up to their end of the bargain, I’ll seek a refund for delivery (or a chargeback from my credit card company)

The dude loaded up the chair in his truck at night (and the four little feet) and drive all the way from the store to my house (I live in BFE). He put it together for me, and I signed for delivery. He was really pissed the whole time. Then again, I was triumphantly smiling…

11. Tom says:

Best. Accompanying. Picture. Ever. Although reliable sources tell me that, if you’re really serious about the “I’m recently broken up with my boyfriend”-compensating thing, you should go with a Hitachi Magic Wand. Needs to be plugged in, but it can’t be beat.

12. Julia says:

Thanks for the spit take/serious LOL Acambras!

13. mistress.smarty says:

Oh man…”The Rabbit” seriously rocks. Seriously.

14. ColoradoShark says:

Your attitude should always be: “I gave you the money. I don’t care who you selected to deliver it. I gave you the money and you need to take care of it.” If you don’t make them feel the pain of the crappy low cost delivery service they selected and try to fix things with the delivery people yourself, you are just ‘enabling’ them.

Solo: Can you post a sort of script for what you said to the department manager? It will be helpful to anyone who has to deal with this and will be a useful addition to the Consumerist toolbox.