Wrinkle Cream Revealed

Consumer Reports has finally tested wrinkle cream, and the results are not shocking. Even though they tested creams that are as inexpensive as $40 dollars to as expensive as $335, “There was no correlation at all between price and effectiveness.”

So do wrinkle creams work? Yes, but not that well. After putting test subjects through a trial and examining their skin with a high tech optical device that measures wrinkle depth, CR says, “Both the photo assessments and instrument measurements found, on average, only slight improvements.”

The two top performers were Olay Regenerist and Lanc

me Paris R

nergie. Olay costs about $57, whereas Lanc

me Paris R

nergie will set you back a cool $176. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Dustbunny says:

I don’t think logic and rational thinking apply when it comes to wrinkle creams. I lust after Creme de la Mer, even though it costs $110 an ounce.

2. Amy Alkon says:

The best wrinkle cream there is is sunblock, and the best sunblock there is is Anthelios #60 creme pour visage (cream for the face). (Actually, I think it’s now mostly listed as 50-plus.) Make sure you get non-tinted if you’re a pasty white girl like me. (without the word teinté — tinted.) Unfortunately, our charming FDA has prohibited its sale in this country for a number of years, but the active ingredient, Mexoryl, can be found in sunblocks you can buy in Canada. And I believe you can also get it on eBay now (after the FDA yanked them for a while) and at Zitomer pharmacy in Manhattan. I get mine in France. Get them early in your trip because pharmacies don’t always have them in in the winter. Some of the cheaper pharmacies I’ve found are just off rue de Rivoli, in the 4th arrondissement (the Marais). Also, get the Vichy under-eye stick if you do go to France. The best, also with Mexoryl. -Amy Alkon, very white person

p.s. and go ahead, laugh at me walking around southern California with a sun umbrella. I won’t be looking like an Hermes handbag when I’m 50.

3. Amy Alkon says:

Clarification: rue de Rivoli is in Paris. Sorry about that.

4. LLH says:

lancome is a sub of the loreal corp in gay paris. all the high end testing and new fangled technology the lancome users pay out the ass for is the exact same stuff loreal has, just by a different name and of course price point.

5. clickable says:

Amy, the FDA finally gave its blessing and Anthelios is now available in the US (yay!). Get it online at skincare sites like skincarerx, skinstore, or dermstore, or locally at CVS. The US version is Anthelios SX but since it’s available only with SPF 15, I think I’ll still buy my SPF 50+ at Zitomer’s.

6. Antediluvian says:

I picked up my Anthelios from CVS for me & my hubby (and one for mom) for Christmas.
    $29 per tube, but had $4 off $20 from CVS + a $10 “deal” that came up on the receipt so came to
    $22 / tube. Still expensive, but better than $29.
    :-)
    Gonna try it and see how it works.

I’d like to see that CR article on wrinkle creams.

7. Amy Alkon says:

Wow…I knew it had been approved, but I didn’t know it was already available. But, at 15SPF, why bother? Wear titanium dioxide sunblock instead. I hear there’s a good one at Whole Foods, where they’ve found some way to make the crystals (if they can be called crystals) lie down, so you won’t have whiteface.

And $29 per tube? I don’t know if it’s the same 50 ml size I get, but I pay 9 euros (about $12, with the dollar being what it is now, which is more comparable to the euro as the 50-cent piece).

Also, the cream is the best, and I use it for the body, too. The milk and others just don’t give you very much coverage.

8. kerry says:

I recently read an article in the NYTimes style section about how dermatologists say that Retinol is still the best product out there for wrinkles and other skin problems, but that most people either buy a product that doesn’t have enough active ingredient or give up because it makes your skin look really, really bad for the first couple weeks, especially if you don’t start with a small amount and work your way up gradually. What’s the active ingredient in the anti-wrinkle products Consumer Reports tested? I’d look myself, but canceled my web subscription a couple weeks ago (d’oh!). I’d also like to know where Avon’s Anew products land on that scale, since they’re supposedly very effective and not as pricey as the department store stuff.
    All that said, I use none of it and basically think it’s all BS.
    Drink water, use sunscreen, don’t smoke.

9. ursonate says:

Back when I sold cosmetics I always made a point of telling my customers that improving their diets would do far more to improve the condition of their skin than any cream.

10. Antediluvian says:

The CVS tube is 100g / 3.4oz.
    SPF 15 means reapply more often than SPF 50, but I’ll take this stuff in SPF 15 over nothing, or over an SPF 50 product that doesn’t protect against as well against UVA as this stuff.

11. I was actually surprised by the results of Clinique’s Anti Gravity eye cream [like $26 a jar, but it lasts a long time]. It seriously made fine lines around my eyes disappear. No shite.

Also, I use a Neutrogena facial moisturizer with Retinol and salicylic acid for my acne [$10 retail I believe], and I have noticed a major difference as well. My skin is a lot more even and ‘glowing’.