Magnifying Glass In The Cat Food Aisle

We took this cameraphone picture of an elderly lady in the supermarket, using a magnifying glass to inspect cans of cat food. She looked at three different cans, then walked away without choosing any.

We should make her the new Consumerist mascot. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. acambras says:

You laugh now, Ben, but someday, you’ll be elderly, decrepit, and presbyopic, perhaps shopping for cat food and wearing a babushka.

Someday…

2. Ben Popken says:

I’m not laughing. Genuinely, I think this is fantastic!

3. mcovey says:

I hope she wasn’t looking for supper… that’d be sad.

4. Charles Star says:

Was it a Safeway? She knows that she has to check the expiration dates because she is a Consumerite.

5. Ben Popken says:

Key Food.

6. Kos says:

while you guys see something funny, I see a business opportunity for cat food producers to include larger type in order to attract the elderly.

7. weave says:

I hope she wasn’t trying to figure out which tin is the most edible — for herself. :(

8. Hoss says:

Notice the magnifying glass on the Key Food site — she came prepared

9. latemodel says:

My heart sinks thinking that she may trying to pick one for her own consumption.

10. Hoss says:

She’s got a full cart — she aint’t looking for her dinner. I suspect her little Silvester is concerned about transfats

11. matt1978 says:

Cat food is way more expensive than people food, at least per oz. She could buy cans of tuna fish cheaper. She’s just a savvy shopper.

12. Polymath says:

Macular Degeneration FTW??

13. acambras says:

Naw, Polymath. My grandmother had Macular Degeneration and she couldn’t see head-on. Her peripheral vision was less affected, though.

If this lady’s peripheral vision were unaffected, she’d have seen this strange guy taking her picture in the supermarket and called the cops. ;-)

14. Savage says:

Taking pictures of old ladies in the supermarket, eh? Interesting hobby. :)

15. acambras says:

Hey, at least it’s not a reprise of that awful WalMart post.

16. voodoodle says:

i’m with kos. how many cats are starving right now because little old ladies couldn’t read tiny labels? this is definitely an opportunity for fancy feast to step up to the plate.

as for the humor, i think it’s funnier you were checkin’ out little old ladies at the grocery store

17. pestie says:

Haa-haa! Old people can’t see!

18. homerjay says:

I thought long and hard to come up with a witty comment here but I don’t think I can possibly top pestie. That was the best Nelson I think I’ve ever seen here.

19. Disgruntled CC Employee says:

My mom has Macular Degeneration. She also can’t see the buttons on the answering machines. How about a Consumerist article about items built so only young people can use them?

20. synergy says:

My mother, who at the time wasn’t 70, used to use a magnifying glass. She couldn’t afford glasses, so she used that instead. We finally brought down her pride and she owns two pairs of glasses.

21. clarity says:

When I started working at home and grocery shopping on weekday mornings, I encountered the same thing on a regular basis – an older person with poor eyesight studying coupons full of fine print desperately trying to find the exact size/flavor/configuration of products the coupon applied to. (only chunky in the 12 oz jar! peach or cherry but not grape – unless it’s diet.) Ridiculously hard even for the perfectly sighted! I got to talk to many interesting people as I offered to help them figure it out. Coupon and label printers are sadistic.

22. Keter says:

Hey ‘clarity,’ ^ … I couldn’t have said it better.

I also agree with Ben, she should be the new Consumerist mascot. Although I think she was probably reading ingredients to buy for a cat with special health needs.

Consumerist challenge: read all of the labels of stuff you buy next time at the store. You probably will put a lot of it back, too, after you find out how much scarily unidentifiable crap they put in products. Hint: try buying the ones with the fewest ingredients; they’re usually the best quality.

23. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

She reminds me of Kevin Smith’s “milkmaids,” whose main goal in life is to search through 48 gallons of milk to find the sole one with two days more left on the expiration date.

I salute you, cat-food lady and milkmaids!

(I think we missed the point here..it isn’t funny that she couldn’t see..it was funny that she looked through multiple cans with a magnifying glass and then didn’t buy any).

“Bah…liver…why does everything have to taste like liver!”

24. Musician78 says:

I want to know what kind of camera phone takes pictures of that high(er than any pic phone I’ve had) quality.

25. grant0 says:

I have to say this is the most hilarious thing I have seen on the internet today. I /am/ laughing.