Walmart Nazi Tshirt Watch: Day 41

Forty-one days after t-shirts bearing Nazi insignia were discovered in Walmart, the retailer has yet to remove them from all their stores, despite promises to do so within days. Amanda spotted this one today in Farlawn, OH.

She writes:

“Hey consumerist- love your site! I wanted to let you know that today, (wed Dec 20th) I was in Wal-mart in Fairlawn (near Akron) Ohio, and they had the Nazi T-shirt on display!! STILL!! I took one up to the register with me, but the ale was not allowed. They had about 6 or 7 on the rack. Attached is a picture.(from my cameraphone, sorry if bad quality) Keep up the great work! “

Dear Walmart,
Why are you crushing so hard on Nazis?

Yours Truly,
Humanity.

— BEN POPKEN

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

Comments

1. 24fan24 says:

I’ve got to get to Wal-Mart to see if the shirt is still out.

2. Sturm Truppen says:

FFS get over it

3. JT says:

The wal-mart I checked looked like the pictures of each update here. There is a piece of paper under plexi-glass for the display but I could not actually find any shirts.

4. Forgive my naiveness, I have been keeping up on this story and I still dont understand what is going on here. Could somebody please help enlighten me? First, I dont understand what the insignia is. I could look it up but I do not feel it prudent to conduct online searches for ‘Nazi Insignia’ or ‘Nazi Art’ or ‘Nazi Propoganda’. I’m a bit paranoid to do so.

Where is this image from and what does it mean? At first, and second, and even 20th glance, I have not been able to fathom the connection between the Nazi party and this image. Am I missing something vitally important here? Again, I know this is a touchy subject to a lot of people. However, with no sarcasm intended, I really just dont ‘get it’.

Some help here?

5. HawkWolf says:

Holden, the image is the insignia of one of the SS battalions from World War 2 Nazi Germany. The tag that Consumerist has it under is the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf.

6. Ben Popken says:

Holden, check out this wikipedia entry.

7. saintjohnson says:

I saw a very similar skull&bones icon on a shoulder patch of a Lucky Brand Jeans track jacket. I’ll pic it the next time I’m at the mall.

8. Okay. I think I have it now. I may be drunk commenting, but dont mind my spelling please. So what I am hearing is this. If I am well schooled in history, this image should offend me because it reperesents the evil and the warcrimes that this company has commited. However, it only actually means something if I can recognize and connect this image to the deeds that this company has committed. Now I have read the article that has been suggested to me, and it is pretty scary what these people managed to get away with, yet wouldnt it take the magic and the power out of this image if nobody knew the evil it once stood for? Wouldnt it have created much less confusion if it were associated with somthing harmless??

This is only intended for discussion and I am not trolling on purpose here. I only mean to spur a reaction in the brain. That is all.

9. the_facts says:

Being Jewish, it took me some time to see that this was a Nazi symbol, so I see how it might have been missed. I searched for it online and saw the similarities. So last week while at Wal-mart, I saw the shirt in Arizona. It was mixed in with other skull shirts. I took it to try to purchase it and it would not allow me to purchase it the display said something like restricted for purchase. I hope they will stop displaying the shirt, but at least I am glad they are not selling it.