SeatGuru: Avoid Crappy Airline Seats

Commenters mention this site a lot, and BoingBoing wrote it up today, so we thought it would be a good time to link to it. SeatGuru is a site featuring seating charts for aircraft on all major carriers. Their charts tell you important things like, does this seat smell of satanic beer farts and airplane toilet chemicals? The charts also have important information like what sorts of meals will be served on the flight. Nifty, nifty. —MEGHANN MARCO

SeatGuru [Via BoingBoing]

Comments

1. weave says:

I generally go for the back row. I don’t care to recline and those seats are always the last to be picked and/or given out, hence the center seat is almost always vacant unless the flight is totally booked.

I would never recommend this for those with connecting flights though, since if the flight is late, you want to be as close to the front as possible to get out quickly. But I generally try to find direct flights, even if it’s more money. A direct flight means less chance of missing a connecting flight and spending the night in the airport, as well as one less chance for your luggage to get misdirected if you check any.

Oh, one other tidbit from experience. If you do pick a seat near the front in steerage class, you’ll likely board last and if the plan is full the overhead luggage is often filled and you end up getting screwed and having to check anything that won’t fit under your seat.

Ah the joys of flying…

2. ElPresidente408 says:

I usually pick just in front or just behind the engine. You feel the least movement plus you get to see the ground.

3. formergr says:

In terms of sitting in the front of steerage meaning that you board last– not necessarily, it depends on the airline. Some board back to front, others allow their premier freq flyers board first regardless of seat location, and others board WILMA (window, middle, aisle).

4. acambras says:

This WILMA thing you mentioned — who does that? I’ve never seen it, but it doesn’t sound like a terrible idea…

5. jacques says:

The back’s icky, especially with the smells eminating from the lav. Try spending 3 hrs cramped with people constantly opening the door to the foul beast and making it worse.

6. major disaster says:

I know United does, or at least some variant of it. They board by an assigned group, rather than by row number. I always get window seats and have never boarded later than the first or second group regardless of what row my seat is in. Just by observation, it does appear that boarding is generally window-middle-aisle.

7. MattyMatt says:

That’s a neat site, but how are you supposed to find out what type of plane you’re flying? It doesn’t say on a ticket whether it’s going to be a 737 or a 319 or a Cessna or whatever.

8. rachmanut says:

don’t forget seatexpert.com. they fill in some of the gaps that seatguru leaves.

9. somnambulist says:

Is it sad that I recognized that seating map without even trying? Man…

10. corporatedrone says:

MattyMatt, you just go to the carrier’s website and put your flight number in the “check flight status” area, and if you click on that flight for more details, it will tell you the plane model (at least that’s how I do it for Delta)

11. major disaster says:

Most of the airlines I’ve flown on recently (United, Northwest, US Airways) have listed the aircraft type on the tickets. The only one that didn’t have it was American, but I assume it’s not hard to find out.