Help! Apple Denied My Class-Actioned iPod Battery Claim!

Apple hates fixing their bust-ass iPod batteries for free, even if a class action suit tells them to, but there may be a workaround.

Andrew submitted his warranty claim over 18 months ago. On December 11, Apple denied his claim because his
“proof of purchase does not specifically identify the transaction as one for an ipod.” When he calls the claims phone number, it simply says, “the time for claims has passed.”

Before we go any further, here’s the cutting to the chase: We advise Andrew call Apple Investor Relations at (408) 974-3123. Tell them you own Apple shares and pitch them your story. Maybe they will help you out. If not, you could always relieve your stress by putting your defunct player in a blender.

A pic of Andrew’s denied claim and more of his story, inside…

When Andrew called Apple customer service, they said they have nothing to do with class action suits or dealing with claims. Apple told him to call the claim number. The number that when you call it, simply has a recording saying, “the time for claims has passed.”

Somehow “iPod 10GB MP3 Player for Mac and Windows” doesn’t describe an iPod well enough. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

It looks like it says he didn’t check the box swearing that the iPod on the invoice is the one he sent in.

2. valkin says:

The claim isn’t even worth it. I qualified and to get the “free” battery replacement, I need to send a check for $40 IIRC for shipping and handling. :-(

3. Falconfire says:

Altered hit it right on the head. He never swore that the iPod was his. Just like rebates if you dont follow through with everything to the letter, they have a legal right to deny your claim. The fact that you sent it in so late as to not be under the claim anymore is your own fault. I’d call Apple and see if I can work it out, but the fault lies totally on the sender, not Apple here.

And just as a FYI, my 1st gen 5 gig iPods battery STILL works.

4. aeproberts says:

The claim was not sent in late. It was sent in a full 3 months before the deadline. It took almost 18 months before they notified me that the claim was denied.

Also, the check box never mentioned anything about promising that the iPod was mine. It was a check box that essentially said “check this box promising that the purchase indicated on the receipt was for the purchase of an iPod.” The language surrounding the check box made it seem like this box was only for those people whose receipt did not clearly state that it was an iPod. Obviously the COMPUSA printout clearly shows that it is for an iPod.

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

If I was sending in a receipt for my iPod, and it said, “check this box promising that the purchase indicated on the receipt was for the purchase of an iPod.”…I would check it.

While part of it may be to make the process more complex than it needs to be, thus opening up the chance that people fill it out incorrectly (and thus Apple gets off scott free)…I think the box is there to hold you legaly responsible if you send in a false receipt.

6. billhelm says:

Well, I couldn’t even submit my claim because I don’t tend to keep receipts for stuff like this. Especially after the return period passed.

and my battery died after about a year. replaced with a much nicer aftermarket one for about 30 bucks.

7. Call (408) 996-1010.

Calmly and politely ask to speak with Stephen P. Jobs regarding a customer service problem.

You will be put into a voicemail box. Leave your contact information and someone will call you back and give you something reasonable to make you go away.