Home Depot Calls Customer A “Stupid Cunt”

John Wagner went into his local Home Depot with his wife to buy nearly $700 worth of stuff, but when his wife asked to use Home Depot’s “no interest, no payments” promotion, no one at the register had any idea what they were talking about. As the Wagners were leaving, they saw a sign for the promotion, so John’s wife returned to the register. From John’s blog:

A few minutes later, an employee came out angrily complaining about a “stupid c—” … I watched him as he looked for the sign on the front of the store. He cursed again and went back inside.
    It took a moment to sink in, but I realized after he had left that he was calling my wife that name … and I went inside and confronted him about it.
    He said, “Tell me what I said.”
    I said, “That’s not a word I would ever use.”
    He replied, “Well, if you can’t tell me what I said, then I didn’t say it.”
    Huh?
    Finally, we asked to see the manager, and he said he WAS the manager! Amazing.

This particular manager’s name is “Fred,” and works at Home Depot in Missouri City, TX.

Fred obviously thought he was alone, and had no idea the woman’s husband was sitting there. Whoops. You’d think Fred could have at least apologized, right? Instead, Fred ran away into the back. John and his wife “told the customer service lady to credit us for the merchandise, as we didn’t want it anymore. She did, and we left.” From now on they’ll be shopping at Lowe’s. If you have an experience like John’s here’s what you can do:
Call: Home Depot Atlanta Store Support Center at 770-433-8211, and ask for “Big Bob.” That’s Robert L. Nardelli, the CEO. —MEGHANN MARCO

Home Depot manager calls my wife a vulgar name [On Message from Wagner Communications](Thanks, Carlos!)

UPDATE: Fred’s boss apologizes.

Comments

1. acambras says:

You know how Best Buy labels some customers “devils” ?

Maybe Home Depot has a similar labeling system:
    Female customer who points out big orange promotion sign and makes manager do his job = “stupid cunt”

• suweet says:

Wow! I apologize for your experience! As a manager at The Home Depot, I do everything i can within policies of maintaing my position, to take care of you, the Customer! I hope that since this experience you have received the service levels we, as a company, are striving to display and make common practice! Best Wishes!

2. Falconfire says:

Something tells me “Fred” isnt going to be working there much longer…

3. DeeJayQueue says:

god, imagine if they’d wanted a little motorized cart to go shop in.

4. JT says:

“Put off the payments,
    not the purchase.”

It is this type of thinking that has landed our once strong middle class at the mercy of the wealthy elite (no savings and a negative net worth). To me it feels like an endless propaganda onslaught from marketing executives to convince America we must consume.

How bout this,

Save now, earn interest,
    buy in cash and leverage the purchase price.

More on topic,
    I can actually remember 10 years ago when the average Home Depot employee I encountered was the “Tool Time”, Tim and Al type. Now the most common answer I get is,

“Let me page someone from that department.”

While the insult is bad enough, to lie so outrageously in someone’s face, from a manager none the less, is … well, I can’t think of the perfect word.

I already avoid that place. Luckily there is an independently owned hardware store near me, where my questions are answered by people that sound like they keep the General Contractor License current.

5. pestie says:

You know, when I first saw this headline, I was afraid it was going to be a story about my ex-girlfriend. Not, mind you, because I think she’s a stupid cunt (not at all – we’re still good friends) but because she works at a Home Depot and… well… sometimes has a bit of a temper. And a foul mouth. I’m just glad it wasn’t her.

6. cudthecrud says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the consumerist’s wrath will put a pimp hand on “Fred”

7. homerjay says:

If you believe that, Falconfire, you haven’t been reading Consumerist very long!

Slap on the wrist is all he’ll get; and maybe he’ll see Fran at sensitivity training. Wait a second…. Fran…. Frank…?

Is it possible???

8. homerjay says:

Oh…. whoops. It was Fred. Can we change that to Frank? :)

9. matto says:

I just called and spoke to Fred, who is still working at the store.

He claims the whole thing is a misunderstanding, and that he would ‘never use that word’.

It is odd that he would take the time to patiently explain that to me, if he were indeed the sort of person John Wagner paints him to be.

10. NeoteriX says:

Mmmm, I’ve been to that Home Depot before.

11. Michael says:

Maybe he misheard Fred talking about a stupid cantilever. You know Home Depot has all sorts of problems with their home remodeling service.

Not quite the same, but I once had trouble returning an item to Sears despite their promised 30-day no-questions-asked guarantee. When I finally convinced the salesperson to take it back, I watched from behind as he entered the return authorization in the computer. In the field, “Reason for Return?”, he typed “Belligerent customer.”

I couldn’t resist telling him, “Go ahead… I know you really want to type ‘a**hole’.” And for a moment, it certainly looked like he was going to take my advice.

12. Sudonum says:

Tycho, Since when is using other peoples money destroying the middle class? I use interest free all the time when making major purchases. You’re stupid not to. You can then take the money you were going to use to make the purchase, put it in your savings account and make interest on it while you then make 12 equal monthly payments to Home Depot. You just earned a few points on what you otherwise would have spent. Even for those people who don’t put the money in the bank, at least they are still using someone else’s money to initially make their purchase. The problem comes in when you don’t pay it off in the specified time period. Then they charge you all the back interest.
    I also wait until the 14th of every month to make my house payment, then I walk into the local branch and make the payment directly. I get an extra 13 days of interest on the money. It ain’t much, but every little bit helps.
    If somebody wants to give you money interest free you’d be stupid not to take it. It’s “free” money.

13. B* says:

Be careful with Lowes. My dad signed up for a credit card there a while back and somehow our phone service was slammed as a result.

14. Mike M says:

Wow. How incredibly stupid.

The link on the frong page has a spurious “http”, by the way.

15. JT says:

Sudonum:
    I agree with you. The key is to not spend beyond ones means.

I believe that a statement like “Put off the payments, not the purchase.” might encourage someone who knows they can’t afford something to go ahead. The current disparage in america between savings and debt per capita shows me that people buying things they cant afford is the more common trend.

I apologize, I didn’t mean to suggest that people who do take advantage of no interest offers are … well anything but wise and thrifty. I was a little dramatic though. :P “… at the mercy of the wealthy elite.”

16. aestheticity says:

^disparity not disparage

17. ronaldscott says:

Lowes FTW.

18. planetdaddy says:

I always go to Lowes. I have never liked HD. They never have what I need when I need it.

19. Anonymous says:

Are you aware that the home depot credit card has no grace period for the payment due date! My due date on my bill was Feb 3, they received my payment on the 4th and called it late, charging me a $39.00 late fee!

20. suweet says:

I work an and manage at The Home Depot, so heres my 2 cents. . .It is very difficult to aquire knowlegeable associates these days with the wages we have available to offer employees. We continually stress and offer training from both vendors and intercompany representatives. if you receive poor service or inadequate knowledge, please express those concerns with a member of management! We are here for you and want to ensure that you are receiving the best services we can provide!