American Apparel Sells Out

Privately-held American Apparel will sell itself to a small investment firm for $382.5 million. NYT reports,

“American Apparel’s buyer, the Endeavor Acquisition Corporation, is a small, publicly traded investment group created last year, with less than $125 million in assets. American Apparel is the firm’s first acquisition — and Endeavor is expected to expand the chain across the globe.”

Endeavor is shooting for 800 stores world-wide.

“I think we will get beyond that,” number, CEO Mr. Charney said. “It’s all about manifest destiny. Wherever FedEx goes, we will go.”

Whether paying double minimum wage and charging $30 for a blank t-shirt will scale internationally remains to be seen, just like an American Apparel product we would consider buying. — BEN POPKEN

Provocative Retail Chain Is Acquired [NYT]

Comments

1. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

Dov Charney is only doing this for the foreign blowjobs.

2. mrbenning says:

Expensive, but they’re also the most comfortable t-shirts I’ve ever worn.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I just like the advertisements….

4. fishfucerk says:

snappy comment, but AA stuff is well made, and surprise, you can get it for way under $30 if you’re buying wholesale (they’ll sell in quantities as low as a dozen, I believe, if you have the proper paperwork: tax id and maybe a wholesalers license). Chances are, if you’ve bought any t-shirts from boutique online retailers, you’re *already* wearing american apparel — because they not only compete on quality, but they compete on price (it’s like an extra buck a shirt over those crappily cut no-name cotton tees you can get).

hopefully this expansion isn’t, as you mentioned, going to destroy their quality or policies.

5. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

their quality control needs work. For what I paid for a sweatshirt, the seams should not have come loose within a week (and the zipper also broke).

Say what you will about sweatshop labor, but at least they can sew a seam.

6. RumorsDaily says:

Manifest destiny? Uh oh.

7. BelBivDevolkswagen says:

Kudos Fuzzy_Duffel – the Hondurans do certainly know their way around a double-stitched seam…

So wait, if AA is bought out by some investment firm, does that now mean that hipsters in general have sold out? Perhaps now they can finally take a fucking shower?

8. Hitchcock says:

I didn’t think AA sold much through their stores. Their big business seems to be boutique T-Shirts. Just about every boutique or “art” t-shirt is on American Apparel stock. My problem is quality control. I just bought a hoodie from Odica that is actually made by AA, and the pocket wasn’t sewn right and the stitching is messed up in a few places. I’ve also see all sorts of weird things on the T-Shirts. Not to mention their sized are off compared to every other maker of T-Shirts.

9. Spence says:

A plain t-shirt at American Apparel is fifteen bucks Ben. Last time I was at the Gap they were 12, and that was probably four years ago. The AA shirts also feel like butter.

10. aestheticity says:

These are the ones with the preteen models and the lecherous perverted rapist for a boss, right?