Help! Get Our Dell Back!

Please tell me there’s a way to get our laptop back (and fixed) from Dell?

It’s been 2months now and every time we call we get the same spiel… 72hrs for any information or “the computer should be there in 72hrs”. We have over 10 case #s at this point. We have talked to well over 25 different reps for dell (via email, online chat and tech support).

I’m at a loss, it is covered under extended warranty… any help, ideas, suggestions???

-Kim

Kim,

Try pitching your query in the official Dell official blog contact section. Tell ‘em we sent you. Just for kicks, we recently submitted a few reader stories and told them to go fix them and they seemed responsive (in their email replies, we saw the correspondence was marked “high importance.”) — BEN POPKEN

Suggest a Topic [Direct2Dell]

Comments

1. planetdaddy says:

I have a number for Dell here that is supposed to take you up to the top. I have never used it. Good Luck.

512 728-5494

2. SexCpotatoes says:

You know, Dell is the only company I know that employs people to scour the internet looking for stories like these, to resolve people’s problems with their company. It would be better if they could get their customer service right so that these fuck-ups wouldn’t snowball like they always seem to.

I have a book with a chapter devoted to Dell’s screwy customer service. The Motherboard Chronicles, pts. 1-7, where this guy Joe Peacock had his motherboard die, like a million times and all the crap he had to go through to get it fixed. You can read it here: http://www.mentallyincontinent.com/modules.php?name=News&f

3. I dont know if they actually pay people to scour the internet, but if you think about this for a second there SexCpotatoes, wouldn’t you think that a technically inclined person would have access to all of the same news sources that we have here?

I would think that a good majority of people who get paid to fix other peoples computers have an interest in the technical world and its not like some of these blogs are so underground that nobody reads them.

I think there is a small dose of paranoia here and I would also like to ask you, where did you get your numbers from? Can I check up on them? Because I would love to get paid just to read blogs all day. That would be a sweet job. Who do I need to talk to for a job doing this? Or did you just make that up to prove your point?

Now dont walk away mad thinking that I am sticking up for Dell here. I am just trying to get the point across that you dont have to make things up to make something sound convincing. Everyone here knows that customer service will always have the bad rap no matter what company it is.

If you think about it, it just is not economically feasible to live up to the average consumers expectations of what should or shouldnt be. Most people who buy cheap are people who expect something for nothing.

This does not mean that I am ignoring Kim’s plight. What happened to Kim sounds pretty frustrating. And Dell should have done something a long while ago to correct the situation.

4. Sharad says:

Have you exhausted the “executive customer support” route? (i.e. – writing to Michael Dell’s office)

5. Hawkins says:

It may be time for small claims court.

6. planetdaddy says:

I have a number for Dell here that is supposed to take you to the top. Haven’t tried it.
    512 728-5494

7. Chris H says:

Sorry, Consumerist should be telling people that they are morons for buying dells. Can anyone say programmed obsolesce? There’s a reason those laptops are so cheap. It’s the digital equivalent to shopping at walmart. Ha! So, Don’t Buy Dell. How’s that for consumer advice?

8. humphrmi says:

Consumerist needs to post more stories. It’s clear from the comments here that the commenters need more to do.

9. econobiker says:

And this from the same company which spawned the infamous “Dell Hell” blog from a technocrati type blogger… who would have thought?

10. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Just want to say, I’ve had great experiences with my Dells. (The units, not customer service). I have three open box/refurb Dells from their clearance page online. The oldest going back about 4 years. So far, so good (having said that, I expect them all to die on me as soon as I get home….)

11. Metschick says:

I have a Dell laptop, and two Dell desktops, and they have been great for me. The oldest is 4 years old, and the newest is a year old. So, what Altered Beast said.