The U.S. Census: Beds Are Like, Totally Dangerous or Something

The New York Times has an article today about the U.S. Census 2007 Statistical Abstract of the United States. Big news: We drink a lot of bottle water. More than beer, if you can believe that. The most dangerous consumer item is a bicycle, the second is a bed. Yes, “Bicycles are involved in more accidents than any other consumer product, but beds rank a close second.”

In case you were wondering, the Times tells us that this is because nearly everyone uses a bed and fewer people use bicycles. But you knew that. — MEGHANN MARCO(Thanks, Morgen!)

Who Americans Are and What They Do, in Census Data [New York Times]

Comments

1. Musician78 says:

Perhaps I am lacking imagination or something but… how exactly can someone hurt themselves on their bed?

2. Uurp says:

Biggest news (not really) to me was the shift from public to private entertainment as technology develops. I’m old enough to remember when a trip to the “movies” meant a huge single-screen theater and you’d better not act up because your parents knew most of the other people in the audience. A far cry from my own kid huddled in the darkened home office, playing Halo with his online “peepz” and sneaking pr0n over the firewall.

3. acambras says:

Kama Sutra gone awry?

4. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Perhaps they are injured in failed attempts assembling an Ikea bed.

5. Negative says:

My niece recently broke her arm when she fell out of bed while having ‘marital relations’. I guess it wasn’t as freakish of an accident as I thought.

6. I bang my feet in to the legs on my bed, all the time [accidentally of course].

7. Pelagius says:

As an uptight bicyclist, I think it’s important to note that while bicycles are lumped under “consumer items”, the automobile is not. There doesn’t appear to be comparable data in this document, but I reckon your chances of getting hurt/killed in a car are still higher.

8. jakeblack says:

I think it look at why a bed…. is it for babies — as in SID syndrome, or for older men — as in heart attacks while ‘frolicking’…. :)