PSP Flog Not Greg Meyerkord’s Fault

Greg Meyerkord, the man whose name appears on the PSP flog domain registration, has put up a website to debunk all the haters.

Its title is, “alliwantforxmasistobeleftalone.” To wit:

“My employment at the Zipatoni co. ended in 2000. While employed by the Zipatoni co. I created a register.com account and used that account to register domain names.The process worked like this:

1) Account Executives would contact me by phone or email with requests for domains they needed registered.
    2) I would then register the domain names and reply to them in an email that the domains were registered.
    3) I would then snap, clap, and flourish my hands…”

Now that he’s unmasked the banal process, Greg would like a little peace and quiet.

“I’d like to be left alone,” he writes. “The damage has been done. I can’t erase the pages of posts. I can’t be uncalled a douchebag. I can’t be uncalled a lot of names I’ve been called through the years, but at least the people calling me those names had an idea of who I was.”

Beware. The internet has several pairs of meanypants. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

I, too, would like a little piece…

2. What I don’t get is why the company kept registering domains with his account.

3. John says:

Is this Consumerist’s way of saying Sorry?

4. Paul D says:

In other news, “Meanypants” would make a great band name.

5. Sudonum says:

Yes, Consumerist does have meanypants, but apparently no more SmartyPants. Sorry I couldn’t resist that one. I’ll try to restrain myself from here on out.

6. Ben Popken says:

Considering other people did the WHOIS and said far worse things, we don’t feel burdened by guilt.

7. Kornkob says:

Ah– so as long as your practices aren’t as bad as someone else’s…..

8. MattyMatt says:

How does Consumerist respond to Greg’s suggestion that “we shouldn’t lash out blindly at the first perceived sign of marketing deception”?

9. I feel bad for Greg, but you have to wonder what he expected to happen after associating with these types…

10. Ben Popken says:

Consumerist says that it’s better to throw it out there and see what sticks.

11. clever epithet says:

Ben, you haven’t been burdened by guilt the entire time you’ve been operating this blog. From the Amy’s Ice Cream debacle to the Threadless clusterfuck to the US Airways stupidity and now this, I’m constantly staggered at just how poor your reporting is. On the plus side, it’s very entertaining to watch you constantly mess up! Train wreck, weeeeeeee!

12. Sudonum says:

It’s a blog people, not CNN. Ben posted the FACT that this PSP blog was in fact nothing more than a corporate shill. He listed the names of the people involved and links to their MySpace pages. And apparently 4 out of the 5 people he named actually WERE Sony corporate shills. I believe the REAL news story here is that The Consumerist revealed that the “alliwantforchristmas” blog was a fake bought and paid for by Sony.

13. superbeetle says:

“Consumerist says that it’s better to throw it out there and see what sticks.”

That’s fine. Just be man (blog?) enough to apologize when your errant throw hits an innocent bystander in the face.

14. This Greg guy sure doesn’t have a sense of humor. If he had nothing to do with it I would just suggest he take it in stride instead of being overly defensive and making a fool out of himself by crying about it on the internet.

“I feel bad for Greg, but you have to wonder what he expected to happen after associating with these types..”

I would have to agree with crayonshinobi and mention that if you want people to see you in a better light then chose different friends or stand up for yourself and what you’ve done, even if it was stupid. Then at least you can respect yourself after it is all over and done with.

15. Ben Popken says:

After Greg sent in his new website, I thanked him and apologized for initially including him in our gallery of douchery.

16. MattyMatt says:

“Consumerist says that it’s better to throw it out there and see what sticks.”

What exactly does the “it” in this metaphor refer to, exactly? Is there a fan peripherally involved?

17. Xkeeper says:

I believe so, Matt, and whatever doesn’t stick usually hits that fan.

To everyone getting panties in knot about this, remember that like someone said, 4 of 5 of the names were truly some corporate scum, and they did apologize to the other one.

Technically, Consumerist still has a better track record than most companies in that light.