Costco Accepts Return of Swimming Pool Intended for Pet Penguin

So, this might not be true, but a) It’s funny and b) Costco really does have a great return policy. Anyway, according to this guy, he fell for an internet hoax called, wherein someone set up a site pretending to offer pet penguins. Ok. Problem is, this guy bought a swimming pool for the penguin and installed it in his living room. Then, when he found out that the penguin site was a hoax, he returned the pool to Costco.

Manager: Sir, can you tell me why you’d like to return this pool?
    Tynan : I was going to buy a penguin, but I was worried the pool was going to leak on my carpet. It doesn’t say anywhere not to use it inside, but I don’t think it’s sturdy enough.
    Manager: Are you being serious?
    Tynan: Yes.
    Manager: Ok… I guess we’ll take it.
    I provided my receipt and got my money back.

Um, way to go Costco? —MEGHANN MARCO

The Infamous Ghetto Indoor Pool
[Better Than Your Boyfriend]
Penguin Warehouse [Snopes]

1. Hoss says:

Let’s see, one gallon of water is 8.34 pounds. He says there is 3,100 gallons in there (I say more like 5,000) — that’s 25,854 to 41,700 pounds of mass in the middle of the floor. (Excluding the pale nerds floating in the pool.)

2. Brian Chow says:

If this is true, then Costco has a great refund policy.

I have been told by a friend that he always cancel his membership on the last day (or week), so he can get his membership refunded. I hope that there are not a lot of members who take advantage of this honour system.

3. OnoSideboard says:

I don’t care if it’s true or not… I laughed for the first time in years.

4. Keter says:

I wonder if Costco policy makers read these comments. *shudder*

5. acambras says:

This REALLY makes me want a penguin for Christmas. My lease says “no dogs,” but it doesn’t contain any language that precludes penguins.

6. acutusnothus says:

If Costco would take back my indoor pony ride corral, why wouldn’t they accept a penguin pool gone south?

7. bndocksnt says:

acambras beat me to it, but I’ll say it anyway: I too want a penguin for Christmas. Are you reading this mom?

8. HawkWolf says:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t accept it as a return. However, I’m amazed that he managed to get that much water into a pool in his house.

Penguins? Who the hell wants a penguin?

9. Ass_Cobra says:

Penguins are incredibly feisty. They can bite through thick rubber boots and gloves. They also poop like crazy. A lonely penguin will get in heat and hump your leg right off. All things they did not tell you at

10. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

If you think returning the pool is hard, try returning the penguin!

I’d like to say that I don’t really believe somebody tried that excuse, but I’m afraid I do.

11. ironchef says:

I hate morons who abuse the generosity of Costco.

12. acambras says:

RowdyRoddyPiper — I thought penguins mated for life. Does this mean that if one starts humping your leg that you’re his one-and-only forever and ever?

13. Ever since I learned that chimps, when living with humans, can learn to eat at the table, sort silverware, and enjoy TV shows, I’ve wanted a chimp to live with me.

And now I want a penguin.

14. Trai_Dep says:

Guy’s sort of a tool for wanting to take some penguin – a wild creature for gawd’s sakes – and plant him in a wading pool in his crappy studio apartment for life.

Unless he’s harvesting ’em: Yuummmmmm, penguin steaks! Almost as good as baby seal pate!!

15. Kromem says: