Costco Accepts Return of Swimming Pool Intended for Pet Penguin

So, this might not be true, but a) It’s funny and b) Costco really does have a great return policy. Anyway, according to this guy, he fell for an internet hoax called PenguinWarehouse.com, wherein someone set up a site pretending to offer pet penguins. Ok. Problem is, this guy bought a swimming pool for the penguin and installed it in his living room. Then, when he found out that the penguin site was a hoax, he returned the pool to Costco.

Manager: Sir, can you tell me why you’d like to return this pool?
    Tynan : I was going to buy a penguin, but I was worried the pool was going to leak on my carpet. It doesn’t say anywhere not to use it inside, but I don’t think it’s sturdy enough.
    Manager: Are you being serious?
    Tynan: Yes.
    Manager: Ok… I guess we’ll take it.
    I provided my receipt and got my money back.

Um, way to go Costco? —MEGHANN MARCO

The Infamous Ghetto Indoor Pool
[Better Than Your Boyfriend]
Penguin Warehouse [Snopes]

Comments

1. Hoss says:

Let’s see, one gallon of water is 8.34 pounds. He says there is 3,100 gallons in there (I say more like 5,000) — that’s 25,854 to 41,700 pounds of mass in the middle of the floor. (Excluding the pale nerds floating in the pool.)

DO NOT TRY THIS!

2. Brian Chow says:

Hi,

If this is true, then Costco has a great refund policy.

I have been told by a friend that he always cancel his membership on the last day (or week), so he can get his membership refunded. I hope that there are not a lot of members who take advantage of this honour system.

3. OnoSideboard says:

I don’t care if it’s true or not… I laughed for the first time in years.

4. Keter says:

I wonder if Costco policy makers read these comments. *shudder*

5. acambras says:

This REALLY makes me want a penguin for Christmas. My lease says “no dogs,” but it doesn’t contain any language that precludes penguins.

6. acutusnothus says:

If Costco would take back my indoor pony ride corral, why wouldn’t they accept a penguin pool gone south?

7. bndocksnt says:

acambras beat me to it, but I’ll say it anyway: I too want a penguin for Christmas. Are you reading this mom?

8. HawkWolf says:

I don’t see why they wouldn’t accept it as a return. However, I’m amazed that he managed to get that much water into a pool in his house.

But.

But.

Penguins? Who the hell wants a penguin?

9. Ass_Cobra says:

Penguins are incredibly feisty. They can bite through thick rubber boots and gloves. They also poop like crazy. A lonely penguin will get in heat and hump your leg right off. All things they did not tell you at Penguinwarehous.com.

10. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

If you think returning the pool is hard, try returning the penguin!

I’d like to say that I don’t really believe somebody tried that excuse, but I’m afraid I do.

11. ironchef says:

I hate morons who abuse the generosity of Costco.

seriously.

12. acambras says:

RowdyRoddyPiper — I thought penguins mated for life. Does this mean that if one starts humping your leg that you’re his one-and-only forever and ever?

13. Ever since I learned that chimps, when living with humans, can learn to eat at the table, sort silverware, and enjoy TV shows, I’ve wanted a chimp to live with me.

And now I want a penguin.

14. Trai_Dep says:

Guy’s sort of a tool for wanting to take some penguin – a wild creature for gawd’s sakes – and plant him in a wading pool in his crappy studio apartment for life.

Unless he’s harvesting ‘em: Yuummmmmm, penguin steaks! Almost as good as baby seal pate!!

15. Kromem says: