AMEX’s MyWishlist: Everything You Need To Know

Once again, the American Express website offers cardmembers a chance to participate in the “My Wishlist” promotion, but what’s it all about?

The pitch is simple: a bunch of great discounts on hot items, and you throw items at your computer in disgust after you receive messages like, “Sorry, just missed it“, every time you vainly try to redeem a special.

Inside, what’s left of the scheduled promotions and how to synchronize your clock with their timeserver for extra efficiency. — BEN POPKEN

The promotion has four segments:

Holiday Offers: Offers from Amex partner merchants

Featured Products: Savings on select merchandise while quantities last.

Wish Certificates: Limited inventory of gift certificates released on 11AM, 2PM, and 6PM EST.

Hot Products – Savings on a small quantity of products, released at 12PM, 3PM and 7PM EST.

Read their FAQ for more info.

My Wishlist Items

All of these times are Eastern Time unless otherwise specified. Items listed here are unconfirmed, please refer to the “My Wishlist” page for up-to-date information.

December 12:

Hot-Products:

12:00 PM – 100 MOTOKRZR/Motorola Bluetooth Headsets 150$ each (retail: 579.98)

3:00 PM – 100 RED MOTORAZR V3M $120 each (retail: 399)

7:00 PM – 100 MOTOROLA Q $150 each (retail: 499.99)

Wish Certificates:

11:00 AM – Home Depot (20% off)

2:00 PM – Toys R Us (25% off)

6:00 PM – Blockbuster (25% off paid monthly membership)

Decmber 13th:

Hot Products:

12:00 PM – 80 White model L Geneva Sound System 175$ each (retail: $718)

3:00 PM – 70 Black model L Geneva Sound System

7:00 PM – 50 Red Model L Gena Sound System

Wish Certificates:

11:00 AM – Land’s End gift certificate (25$ gift card)

2:00 PM – Border’s gift certificate. (10% off electronics/video games, 20% off DVD)

6:00 PM – Best Buy gift card

December 14th:

Wish Certificates:

11:00 AM – Best Buy gift card

2:00 PM – Toys R Us or Amazon

6:00 PM – Toys R Us or Amazon

Syncing Your Clock To Their Clock

According to the FAQ on the American express website, “When you load My WishList, the site synchronizes with our master clock. This master clock is synchronized with the U.S. government time server at the National Institute of Standards and Technology at nist.gov. All products are released based on this master clock.”

This is wrong, it’s actually a few seconds off.

Read these instructions (PDF) on synchronizing your desktop clock to a NIST timeserver.

Macs

Windows 2000 and XP

Windows 3.1/95/98/NT/Me

This will have your desktop clock more accurate reflect their master timeserver than the clock on their webpage.

References:

FatWallet

SlickDeals

Comments

1. zl9600 says:

How about instructions for Mac users on the NIST timeserver? There are a few of us out there…

2. zl9600 says:

Or, I could just answer my own question instead of being hasty: Mac OS links are here:

3. zl9600:

Here ya go, from the NIST website that provided the first set of instructions it would appear they also made Mac instructions as well.

4. Ben Popken says:

Added direct links for the OS types supported on their page.

5. William Mize says:

First it’s a woot, then it’s a tanga, then it’s an amazon voting thing, and now this.

Oh the madness.

6. Sean O says:

Anyone here pick up the Porsche for 5 Gs the other day?

7. Marge says:

I’m irritated enough at the Wishlist thing that I wanted to share my ire with others who agree it’s essentially a scam. Then I might feel a little less mad at myself for having wasted time grabbing at smoke rings. I’m not sure I need to post more than this one time–but this is the comment I just submitted to the Wishlist customer service people:
    “Your website says the Wishlist is your way of saying “thanks” to your customers. Well, this is my way of saying “you’re welcome”: I’m cancelling my card. You promote the Wishlist as a sale of products at special prices. But you are not, functionally, selling anything. When an item is available for a fraction of a second–when availability is compressed into an absurdly artificial ticking clock–you are not selling products, you are running a lottery, and with roughly the same chances of winning. I used to think American Express was the most sober and businesslike of the financial services companies. Now I consider it to be no more serious or dependable than a common carnival hawker. Call me harsh–but consider this: Had I never received this promotion in the mail, I would still be a satisfied customer.”

I feel better already. Now to cancel that card …

8. foodmanry says:

So much bitterness Marge. I understand your frustration, but you need to take a step back and look at the Wishlist realistically. There are VERY FEW ITEMS available to MILLIONS of people. All of those people are going for the same item at the same time, what exactly do you think is going to happen? For one, your chances of actually getting and item is very, very slim. Two, more than likely most people will have web site errors and loading issues. Why? Because so many people are trying to instantaneously log into the same site.

Now, I have gone to Wishlist and actually was able to get an Aquos HD TV. It was my first time on the web site and using the system. I got insurmountably lucky. Since then I haven’t gotten jack and have been checking and chasing items. But hey…its the name of the game.

If you don’t like it fine, then stop chasing after it, cancel your card, but don’t b1tch and complain. It is what it is and AMEX really doesn’t have to do it. After reviewing all the b1tching and complaining concerning AMEX wish list my wish is they cancel it altogether. Obviously people are not satisfied with it, so why do it?