Baby Born on Plane Headed for Chicago

From CBS2 Chicago:
A 42-year-old woman gave birth to a healthy girl late Wednesday aboard a plane destined for O’Hare International Airport from Mexico, officials said Thursday.

The birth on the Mexicana Airlines plane came nearly an hour before the midnight landing, airport spokeswoman Wendy Abrams said.

The baby, a Mexican citizen, is eligible for U.S. citizenship if born over U.S. airspace. By the way, isn’t this why pregnant women aren’t supposed to fly after x-y-z-whatever months? Turns out one of the passengers was a doctor. Do we smell a sitcom plot?

“There was a doctor who happened to be flying who also happened to be an obstetrician-gynecologist,” Chicago Fire Department spokesman Richard Rosado said. “So she couldn’t have been in better hands.”

“The people on board the aircraft — they were cheering and clapping and congratulating her as we exited the aircraft,” paramedic Al Trigl told CBS station WBBM-TV in Chicago.”

Well, ain’t that some human interest. We wonder if they charged her for an upgrade. —MEGHANN MARCO

Baby Born On Plane Headed For Chicago [CBS 2 Chicago]

Comments

1. acambras says:

Hah! And we thought BREASTFEEDING on a plane freaked some people out.

2. Hoss says:

The mexican (and age) aspect of the story is quite unneccessary. Congrads new mother!

3. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

It’s a good thing it wasn’t United, or they would have charged her for another seat.

4. haha sounds like a plot to secure U.S. citizenship for the baby to me.

5. homerjay says:

Glad I wasn’t the one to say it, Beadprincessk.

Let me translate this:
    “So she couldn’t have been in better hands.”

really means:
    “She was the luckiest person in the air that day.”

6. dickius says:

The baby isn’t “eligible for U.S. citizenship.” The baby is a U.S. citizen.

7. levenhopper says:

dickius: the story doesn’t specify if the baby was born in american or mexican airspace. however, i’ll bet that since it was only an hour before landing in chicago, it was us airspace

8. Triteon says:

Yeah, unless the flight was on an SR-71 Blackbird I’m fairly certain they’d have been in US airspace.
    And I’m wholly offended the mother was allowed to uncover her naughty bits in public! I certainly hope they made her cover up with a blanket. Or at least excuse herself to the lavatory, a more acceptable area for such awful behavior! Couldn’t she hold it until they reached the terminal?:P)

9. “We wonder if they charged her for an upgrade.”
    Haha I was thinking that from the start, this being Consumerist.

10. Pelagius says:

I wonder if they cleaned the seat afterward…

And to Hossofcourse – the nationality of the mother has everything to do with the story. Immigration is checking the flight logs very carefully to determine whether the baby is technically allowed American citizenship or not. If this catches on, the GOP is going to have to build a very high border wall indeed.

11. ckilgore says:

After I had my son the nurses in the hospital ran me a shower, but because of some sort of malfunction, there was no hot water on my floor. (I didn’t cry during labor, but let me tell you, I cried taking that cold shower.) Now, every time I want to complain about that, I will think of giving birth on plane.

12. ElizabethD says:

This could start a trend. Who needs to outsmart the border patrols?

13. Hoss says:

Pelegius, not everyone in Mexico is poor enough to want to live near you

14. Triteon says:

Pelagius– that the border issue is a GOP-only issue will be of great surprise to Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico. Once again, let’s remember this is a consumer blog, not a political one.

15. Pelagius says:

Jesus jumping pogo stick Christ. Did I imply that this is a desperate ploy by the mother to immigrate to the US? No. But is is part of the story, whether that offends your uber-sensitive sensibilities or not. Google the story – almost every headline is concerning the child’s citizenship. It might interest you to know that Mexico also follows the doctrine of jus soli, which is why my cousin is a dual Mexican-US citizen.

16. mfergel says:

***** It might interest you to know that Mexico also follows the doctrine of jus soli. ***** What’s the benefit??? All the burittos you can eat??

17. Trai_Dep says:

Sounds like the lil’ tyke should be a WORLD citizen, it being spawned in the ether and all…

Hey, sounds like they should have charged everyone a pay-per-view surcharge.

And, yeah, mom better watch her credit card to make sure the airline doesn’t sneak on another fare after-the-fact.

18. acambras says:

What is jus soli?

19. acambras says:

Never mind — I overcame my laziness and looked it up. I get it now.

20. magic8ball says:

My question is, How did she get onto the plane that late in her pregnancy? When I’ve asked airlines about their policy, most of them told me they wouldn’t let pregnant women on their flights after their seventh month of gestation. I suppose it’s possible that the baby in this case was two months premature, but in that case I doubt she would have been described as “healthy.”

21. acambras says:

I copied this from Mexicana’s website (the English part at least):

Pregnant Women

What do I have to do if I’m pregnant and would like to travel?
    Pregnant woman in good health will be accepted for travel without a medical certificate except under the following circumstances:

When pregnancy is estimated to be at more than six months.

The pregnancy is not progressing normally and/or complications are expected at birth.

If any of the above circumstances apply, you will need to supply the following: A medical certificate, issued within 7 days of travel. For pregnancies in the sixth month or later, you will also need to fill a limited liability form.

22. JeffreyK says:

Ahhhh… there’s the real story. It sounds like, according to acambras post, this woman flew against Mexicana’s Airlines pregancy policy. So, who’s accountable if there had been complications? If the child or mother died, or perhaps either were injured, or if passengers were placed in jeopardy (we’re talking about body fluids in an enclosed space and likely without much sterilization or protection), who’d have been at fault? The airline for not raising a flag, or the mother for not asking or giving thought in advance?

Things to ponder.

23. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Um the baby’s an American citizen unless the Mexicana flight had a stopover in Montreal.