The $55 Mac And Cheese

UPDATE: The $55 Mac And Cheese Guy Speaks
UPDATE: The Menu Said ‘Truffles’

This guy goes to the Waverly Inn and orders a mac and cheese, the night’s special, as an appetizer. It’s the kind of place where there’s no prices on the menus. When the mac comes, a waiter slides over and grates something on it. The guy assumes it’s cheese, eats his dinner and gets his bill. His eyes explode.

The mac and cheese is fifty-five dollars.

Turns out the stuff the waiter grated on wasn’t cheese. It was a fresh truffle. Special, indeed.

Watch out at the restaurant. Just because they put the fancy on doesn’t mean they’re above sneaking charges into your meal. Our reader’s letter, inside…

— BEN POPKEN

Max writes:

“Hey Consumerist! Funny night for both me and my roommate. Not only did the girl I am seeing not put out, but my roommate has a problem with his date as well. They had decided to go to dinner at a restaurant she liked in the west village, and they ordered the usual: Salad, tuna tar-tar, chicken pot pie, and creamed spinach. My roommate, a comfort food fan (guess which of the previously mentioned items was his), noticed that the special for the evening was macaroni and cheese. He was in the mood, so he ordered it as an appetizer. The menu had no listed prices.

They brought out the macaroni on a small plate, in a quantity he describes as “not even enough to be considered an appetizer.” A waiter came over and grated something over the top, which was assumed to be cheese, and that was that. Then the bill came. The Salad? $10. The pot pie? $18. The look on my roommate’s face as he tells me he just dropped $55 on Mac and Cheese? Priceless.

It turns out that the stuff the waiter had grated over the dish was not a cheese but a fresh truffle, and no one had thought to mention anything until the bill came. He spoke to the owner, who gave him “A few free glasses of wine for the trouble,” but the point he makes is that there’s no reason a respectable restaurant with average dinner prices should sneak in a $55 macaroni order. Naughty naughty!”

Full receipt:

55macmacmac.jpg

Comments

1. That’s an old restaurant trick, where the special is just something they don’t normally make. It’s not cheaper, just “special”, and very often expensive.

2. acambras says:

At one restaurant where I once worked, “specials” was just a euphemism for “leftovers.” If the kitchen had a surplus of something (corn, for example), suddenly you’d see corn showing up in all of the “specials.”

3. Cookie Guggleman says:

This diner should never order a special at Il Mulino.

4. Gari N. Corp says:

The Waverly Inn is, of course, Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter’s new restaurant. Yes, The Man Who Invented Spy Magazine. Now pimping “special” Mac N’ Cheese. I think your homes over at Gawker would be rather amused by this.

5. nweaver says:

$55 for Mac and Cheese? That will buy a whole 4-course MEAL at “Ad Hoc”, Thomas (“I have TWO 3-star mischelin guide resteraunts”) Keller’s latest resteraunt!

6. Mary Marsala with Fries says:

Apparently I’ll be a hick for life, because I’d have been sitting there with the waiter saying, “How much is the salad? Okay, I’ll have that. And how much is the froofy tuna? Hmm. Okay, that too. And the special? Jesus, are you crazy? Hey, don’t look at me; I’m not the one who forgot to put prices on your menu. So how much is the soup?”

Who the hell buys things with no price on them? Not that the restaurant wasn’t taking advantage of their blind-sale procedure in the case above, but didn’t the customer kind of fall for it by agreeing to pay without knowing how much?

7. Harlan says:

If some restaurant tried that on me, I’d circle the $55, write a big “fuck you” on the bill, leave $55 less than the bill in cash, and walk out (quickly).

And then I’d write Consumerist, natch.

8. KarenUhOh says:

For 55 bucks they’d better be scraping that cheese out of Paris Hilton’s pants.

9. bambino says:

What was it my dad used to say? Oh yeah – ‘If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.’

10. timmus says:

Review: “The food is great but is an ape inside called Patrick which is very annoying. It smells horribly and is inpolite with the customers.”

Review: “The restaurant is good, but is a monkey called Patrick inside which has an unpleasant smell.”

11. anita l. says:

There’s no hyphen in thank you. I’ll proofread in exchange for a free mac & cheese dinner!

12. In Russia after the fall their menus never had prices, but that was because runaway inflation made printing the price on the menu pointless; they’d only have to change it the next day. They were more than thrilled to take US currency as payment. That is, in my opinion, the only place I’ve ever heard a good reason for not listing the prices.

13. Hawkins says:

KarenUhOh says:

For 55 bucks they’d better be scraping that cheese out of Paris Hilton’s pants.

This is perhaps the funniest comment I’ve seen here ever. As well as the most revolting.

14. Magister says:

Average dinner prices? 18 bucks for a pot pie? Damn, those are 4 for $5 at the super market for the pretty goods ones.

15. thrillhouse says:

I’ve heard of restaurants rounding up on bills, but this is rediculous

16. MeOhMy says:

Typical NYC prices! I’m surprised the bread was free.

Story #1:
    Went to Joe Allen’s in London for the prix fixe pre-theater(re) dinner menu. My wife wasn’t super-hungry so ordered the bowl of chil(l)i. The waiter said would you like rice with the chili? No mention that the rice cost extra. CERTAINLY no mention that at GBP 4.00, the rice both cost nearly $8 and also was more expensive than the chili. If you offer something without indicating it is an extra charge, it implies that item is free…especially if it’s staple item like bread, rice or pasta.

Story #2:
    Cabaret at Studio 54. Sat in the orchestra seating which was set up with little cabaret tables. They even served drinks. I had just turned 21 and decided to get a drink…because I COULD! I ordered the cosmo. The waitress came back carrying a large glass. She said “$18.” I laughed in her face! I LAUGHED IN HER FACE! I was expecting NYC prices, but $18 she was OBVIOUSLY kidding with the stupid Jersey boy. “I’m serious,” she said, “sip it slowly.”

Fortunately, it was big. And stiff…they didn’t waste too much space cranberry juice.

Anyway, these are cautionary tales about ordering at places that pretend to be “classy” where prices are not clearly listed.

When I’m in this situation, I just assume an “expect the unexpected” mentality, and when the $55 bill shows up for adding truffles and foie gras to a Hot Pocket (because lately trendy restaurants LOVE to try to make ANYTHING high end by adding truffles and foie gras to it) I just shake my head and remind myself that I only do this once in awhile.

17. The Unicorn says:

I wonder if the menu said anything about truffles, or if the waiter mentioned them. If not, then it’s completely ridiculous for them to charge this mucn without listing the price — not to mention, I mean, what if you didn’t LIKE truffles?

But if there was any indication that the mac’n’cheese would be truffle-ified, then that should’ve raised a few eyebrows for the submitter’s roommate, since those things are never cheap. I mean, I wouldn’t order the lobster & filet mignon surf-and-turf special without first finding out the price, you know?

18. Papercutninja says:

1. This is a NYC restaurant. So, those of you saying the rest of the prices are exorbitant should understand that this isn’t the local Cracker Barrel.

2. He should’ve asked the price of the Mac and Cheese, but didn’t want to look cheap in front of the chicks they wanted to bang.

3. The Waverly Inn is one of those douchey hipster fashion-crowd places. Who the fuck puts truffles on Mac and Cheese? They’re going to put crazy prices on “special” stuff so that US Weekly will mention them and their super-awesome celebrity menu. They should’ve expected something like this.

4. The chick that suggested the Waverly Inn is probably a wannabe-publicist gold digger. Good luck with that.

(Full disclosure, i’ve had lobster mac and cheese. It was fantastic. And cheaper. And it was at a hoity-toity midtown joint. And the portion was huge.)

19. Clare says:

You think $18 for a pot pie is bad? Try the lobster pot pie from Michael Mina Bellagio.

(It’s worth every penny, by the way.)

20. Ghost_of_Awesomist says:

If you didn’t realize it was truffle, then you’re a moron. If you weren’t expecting $55 mac-and-cheese at the Waverly, then you obviously had no clue where you were eating.

$50+ mac-and-cheese with truffle is sort of a high end NYC staple. Lots of places do it.

And chances are if you still have a roommate and are a ‘fan of comfort food’, you shouldn’t really set foot in any restaraunt that has no prices on the menu. In fact, you should probably just go back to the frat house or something.

21. SecureLocation says:

It’s not the money, it’s the fucking principal. Yes, prices are high in NY but that doesn’t mean we should all bend over for shabby tricks like this. Don’t be afraid to ask the price when the waiter lists the “specials”–which are usually only special for the owner’s profit margins.

22. KevinQ says:

Similar to what The Unicorn said, “truffle” is restaurant code for “expensive shit.”

A guy I went to law school with had this experience:

After his first year of law school, he was hired as a summer intern for a fairly snazzy local firm. He was invited along when the firm wanted to take an out-of-town client to the local fancy steak house. They all get to the steak house, several of the firm’s lawyers, a couple of their interns, and a few representatives of the client’s company.

It was one of those places where they put the prices on the menu, but the specials change every day, and the waiter doesn’t mention the prices when they describe the special. The special that day was Kobe steak. The firm, of course, picks up the check.

Waiter goes around the table taking orders, and when he gets to this new intern, the intern orders the Kobe steak. Nothing is said, he gets his steak, everyone has a nice meal, everyone goes home.

The next day, the senior partner calls this new intern into his office.

“Do you know what Kobe steak is?”

“Sure, it’s fancy steak from Japan.”

“Do you know how much it costs?”

“I don’t know, maybe $20 or $30.”

The partner looks at him: “That steak cost $120. In the future, order the t-bone.”

He didn’t get fired, but it was quite humiliating.

K

23. aestheticity says:

I view this as a wannabe screwing up. Like other people said, if you have to ask you can’t afford. That doesn’t mean you get to complain about not affording it if you don’t ask, it just means you didn’t have the sense to say ‘whoa whoa, this is a hipster den and these women look like golddiggers, I’d better check I can roll this high… 55 dollars? Let’s go to Chuck E Cheese”.

He didn’t even notice it was truffle.

24. missdona says:

My favorite NYC restaurant trick is “Would you care for still or sparkling water?” Code for: “Would you prefer to be price-gouged for Evian or Pelligrino?”

You gotta have the guts to say, “I prefer tap water.”

25. Ass_Cobra says:

Caveat Emptor. Seriously, no sympathy.

Hopefully the guy made some tasteless double entendre about the Tuna Tartar.

26. CaptainRoin says:

Between this and the Restaurant Rounds Up to the Nearest Nickle all I’ve learned is to not eat in NewYork.

27. Magister says:

Funny thing about Tuna Tartar. That means it is just a slab of uncooked Tuna. They just cut it off the freaking fish and put it on the plan. Heck, any waitress could do that…

28. Hirayuki says:

…which is spelled “tartare”. That’s two dings for spelling/grammar, you Waverly hot shots.

29. EBW says:

As has been posted elsewhere, the menu does specify truffles as an ingredient. If he doesn’t know that truffles are expensive, well, I’m sorry. Don’t go to expensive restaurants, or else ask the price first.

30. sassenach says:

Graydon, there’s no hyphen in “thank you.”

31. nottelling says:

truffles are expensive, and we should all know that. but the truffle fries are 7 bucks.

it’s more expensive to shave ‘em then drop ‘em in the frier?

32. pestie says:

If you didn’t realize it was truffle, then you’re a moron.
    [...]

Or… And this is just a thought… New York City is not the center of the universe, and there are actually quite a few people on Planet Earth who aren’t from there, and aren’t familiar with local price-gouging customs! I think you’ve just illustrated why the rest of the country equates “New Yorkers” with “a bunch of elitist pricks with funny accents.”

33. Sudonum says:

It has been my experience that any waiter will usually make some kind of presentation when he/she is grating truffles on ANYTHING. There is an Italian restaurant (Bacco’s) here in New Orleans that has a “truffle fest” once a year. One of my favorite dishes is their truffle fettucini. Every time I’ve had it the waiter made a point of announcing to the table “your freshly shaved truffle sir” as he shaved them right over my plate. If and when your waiter did that, it should have been a clue

34. Meg Marco says:

I was walking next to Bryant Park and saw a delivery guy drop 6 huge cases of fresh truffles off his hand truck and all over the icy, salty sidewalk. That was amazing.

35. the rat says:

I agree with the comments about the fact the guy had no idea what he was doing.

Something similar happened to me once in Paris (though I had more idea than this guy), it was a cold evening and we had been drinking, so we decided to call the night, buy a bottle of wine, some cheese and bread and camp in the hotel room instead of going out for dinner. I walk into this liquor store and pick a nice bottle of Margaux. Look at the price (still French Francs) and make a quick but drunk mental conversion = $55.00, which made total sense for a good Margaux. I even thought that bottle would probably cost at least $75 back in the states. I pay and this guy is telling me “we ship all over the world if you are interested”. Back to the hotel had a wonderful evening and the wine is so delicious I keep the cork. End of the month Amex statement shows a $550 charge in Paris, which I did not know what was about. Called Amex and they tell me is a liquor store charge. I pull the cork and look for the wine over the internet, and there it was, Chateau Margaux same vintage, $500 to 600. Not a problem. We really enjoyed the wine and the evening was fabulous, I just wish I had known b/c that is the most expensive bottle of wine I’ve ever had and would have been a bit more solemn about it.

36. factotum says:

$10 for a steamed artichoke!? You NY’ers are gettin’ screwed!

37. viciouslies says:

Awesomist -

You’re sort of a high end NYC douchebag, ain’t cha?

Kisses!

38. gwai lo says:

Allow me to play the devils advocate…
    Let’s say the gentleman was unaware of the price of a truffle, suppose he then noticed that the Waverly Burger with truffle fries is $13 and the Truffle fries as a side are $7.
    It wouldn’t be ridiculous to assume that the Macaroni and cheese with fresh shaved truffles would be similarly priced.

39. dclounger says:

I’m confused by this whole thing. Creamed spinach as an entree? No drinks?

40. Frank Grimes says:

“…I had just turned 21 and decided to get a drink…because I COULD! I ordered the cosmo…” Ummm Troy, I think you need to hand in you guy card becuase of this, seriously, a cosmopolitan!?

41. kinkistyle says:

Am I the only person who doesn’t even find truffles to be THAT tasty in the first place? I like porcini and large cremini’s so much more.

42. There’s a place here in Denver that sells a $50 Kobe beef hamburger. Haven’t tried it yet though.

43. Trai_Dep says:

Boys, you haven’t faced the gauntlet until you’ve dined in Hong Kong. From bevies of English-speaking waiters surrounding you during order transforming to no-speak-English, finger-jabbing guys insisting you pay (price-changed) bill after, to English/Cantonese, priced menus disappearing post-order so you can’t argue you’re being ripped off, to “extras” like water or napkins being charged items, it’s the mecca of anti-consumerism.

That said, if you’re calm, stubborn and threaten to call the Tourist Police enough times, they’ll eventually relent. Good food, too, once you get the hang of things. Or eat w/ locals.

44. DTWD says:

For the Paris Hilton commentor, you forgot to add $10 for the crabs.

45. Cleophus says:

What gwai lo said.

Even if the guy who oredered is a rube, there’s nothing else on the menu even close to $55, with or without truffles.

46. aestheticity says:

I don’t find them that compelling either, kinki. They’re just conspicuous consumption, since they’re so expensive people feel like toffs when they eat them. I’ve even eaten them in France 10 minutes after being rooted (the mushrooms… steady on) and been underwhelmed. But then, I subscribe to the ‘taste’ school of eating good food rather than the ‘fashionable’ one.

47. Or… And this is just a thought… New York City is not the center of the universe, and there are actually quite a few people on Planet Earth who aren’t from there, and aren’t familiar with local price-gouging customs!

Ditto to what pestie said!

Furthermore, waiters shouldn’t just walk up to your table and dump stuff in your food without telling you what it is.

48. faustmn says:

For the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” crowd, is there NO limit to this? What if it cost $100? $500, $1000? There’s a difference between having money and being taken for a ride.

49. MeOhMy says:

@Frank Grimes – in my defense, there was only 2 or 3 drinks available and the others were even worse!

Also:
    Top-price seats at B’way musical.
    B’way musical was CABARET
    Trip was sponsored by university’s Opera Theater club.

I turned in my man card when I bought the ticket :-)

50. Papercutninja says:

Again, this is not your average restaurant, even for NYC. I’m not siding with the restaurant, but the majority of their crowd is expense account toting pseudo-VIP douches. Your average diner is not going to stumble into the Waverly Inn. You can either afford the “luxury service” of a waiter shaving truffles onto your mac and cheese, or you’re a wannabe. The lack of drinks clearly shows that the dude and his roomate and their dates are not of age, though NYC is not real strict on restaurant booze. If you go to the Waverly Inn, it’s assumed that you wouldn’t sneeze at $55 mac and cheese. These frat guys clearly didn’t know what they were in for and their golddigging dates just wanted to be seen there.

51. janelle says:

i’m with gwai lo. the whole situation is dubious, regardless of the diner’s level of expertise. put the goddam numbers on the page. it’s not the guy’s fault if he didn’t know, i’m tired of all the elitist “serves him right” comments. and i’m tired of the waverly. can’t they have a kitchen fire and close already?

52. Jory says:

Although, NYC is the center of the culinary universe as far as this country goes.

I don’t really feel bad for the diner, he could’ve asked. Truffles – in grocery stores – go for $50-$70 for a single golfball-sized mushroom. Its not his fault for not knowing that, but if you don’t know, and there is no price listed, AND price is of concern, ask!

53. Here here, viciouslies.

Someone with a South Park avatar telling someone to go back to the frat house no less…probably a democrat too.

54. stevenvu says:

Truffles cost a lot. You’re in America, they have to import them over from, presumably Italy. Average mark up for a restaurant is 75%.

If you’re not pretentious enough to know that then you shouldn’t be dining in a restaurant that serves it; let alone one that serves truffles on a burger.

You’re a fool.

- £62000 ($124000~ ) for 2lb 10oz of truffles.

55. katewrath says:

Why I gotta pick on Magister, I dunno. But for the record, tartare anything is NOT just a slap of that something raw. It’s minced and seasoned.

The food legend about tartare’d food that, originally, the Tartars used to chuck hunks of meat in a bag, slip it under their saddle and ride on it until dinner time. The resulting product was a) mush and b) tasted of sweaty horse.

Modern innovations include a) using a knife instead of a horse, b) flavoring it with worchester (if using beef) or toasted sesame seed oil (if using tuna.) Beefwise, I only eat the stuff at Les Halles in NYC, and Grill on the Alley in Beverly Hills. Tuna, any fusion restaurant that does a brisk trade in fresh fish.

56. klisk says:

Papercutninja – Your comment about them not ordering drinks is absolutely absurd.

I’m 21+ and I never order drinks. I do not enjoy, or consume alcohol. It seems like an almost sad comment on society to assume anyone going to a restaurant will also desire to be tipsy if they’re “of age”. I go out of my way to avoid alcohol.

57. waltdismal says:

Actually, I prefer the truffles on the Jersey Dogs off of Vinnie’s Cart on 42nd. And he only charges $45 for them.

58. PBH says:

Rubes! Hilly-billies! Foreigners!

59. longacre says:

The “truffle-oil infused” mac and cheese appetizer at Umami in Croton is one of the most delicious things ever. And even with the $20 peak round trip on Metro North, it’s still about three Franklins cheaper than this crap. Of course you don’t get the street cred among your gawker-reading friends associated with eating a mag editor’s food. Because, you know, they’re awesome chefs.

60. longacre says:

I mean Lincolns.

61. NikolaiDante says:

I have 2 points to make :
    1. The menu CLEARLY says “truffle”. If you don’t know what something is likley to cost then you shouldn’t order it! This chap has NOT read the menu correctly and even though the prices are not mentioned he should have asked the waiter discretely. The waiter would have been polite and quiet.

2. “Like other people said, if you have to ask you can’t afford.” – This statement is sheer snobbery. I am not rich but I am wealthy (worth about $2million). However, if I saw a menu or anything without a price I’d ask. Even though I could afford it, I wouldn’t pay $50 for a bowl of tomato soup! There is a MASSIVE difference between how much something costs and how much it is actually worth. I want to be sure I get value for my money.

62. Helvetian says:

missdona, you cracked me up! So true with the Evian or Pelligrino! I say, I’ll have a Sprite instead! lol

63. Mr. Gunn says:

I was gonna say pestie FTW, but Rectilinear already beat me to it. Instead, I’ll just say Jory for the WTF?

Center of the culinary universe my truffle-scented ass!

64. augieland says:

I have been to this place and although it has good and bad aspects it is not off market with its contemporaries. The dish is clearly called “Macaroni and cheese with fresh shaved truffles” (image here) on the menu and as described 55$ seems in line with the current value of the dish as described.
    Truffles are seasonal and the prices fluctuate between type and breadth of the season so not listing a price is also in line with the current market situation. It is surprising people reading a website called consumerist are so willing to forgive a guy that clearly ordered something he didn’t understand and got mad at the situation for his obvious ignorance. Not all lessons come cheap.
    The truth is things are worth what people will pay for them, that’s what a free market is. Don’t like the current state of truffles don’t buy them, if there is a glut as there was last year the price dips. So far this year they haven’t been very good anyway and the season is almost over. Complaining you happily ordered something you didn’t comprehend makes little sense.
    If your hope is to make truffles more affordable for the starving masses learn all there is to know so you aren’t paying for off market truffles. For example the prices have stayed artificially high this year in spite of low quality mostly thanks to the success of last years affordable pricing and a couple hero sized specimens that sold for record prices. I personally stopped buying them early in this season feeling the cost and experience were out of line.
    Had this guy complained that he got moist chewy aroma-less truffles and felt that the price was out of line with an experience he understood, some good may have been done. But just announcing something costs more than he thinks it should does little good and possibly some harm, there are after all people that buy truffles just to appear to understand something others don’t. It is not unlike bitching that you went to a store on 47th street and the guy wanted 8k for an old piece of charcoal on metal band, sure that all it is but it is worth the prices the market will support.

65. augieland says:

The link did not attach the image of the menu is here:

66. ColSanders says:

Unfortunately, Longacre, your 20 dollar round trip to Umami is not even for real truffles. All truffle-oil is olive oil mixed with a chemical flavoring. No truffles even make it into the mix. This is why you can pay several bucks for a bottle of truffle oil but the real stuff will require you to pimp out your girlfriend.

[www.nytimes.com]

67. Scuba Steve says:

I could be a billionaire and I’d still be pissed about getting gouged for mac and cheese.. But then, that’s why I cook my own meals.

I still wish I was a billionaire, but I’m still a cheap bastard.

68. manus manum lavat says:

NY is the center of the culinary world? You can’t get good Tex-Mex anywhere other than, well, Texas. And there are no food, no matter how hoighty-toity they are, that can match the sheer pleasure of good Tex-Mex. Fuck the rest of the nation if they think truffles are better (I don’t think they do, though).

69. MissNikki says:

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with paying $18 for a pot pie and $10 for a salad as well?

70. Average_Joe says:

@janelle: The prices were reasonable on everything. And it sounds like they ordered a mac and cheese without looking at the menu because it was a special offered up by the waiter. Clearly a mac and cheese is just that. The waiter should have said a mac and cheese and truffle. I would have said I will not pay for the truffle and they can charge 13 bucks for the mac and cheese or nothing. Hell it’s not like they can even prove it was even a truffle grinded up on your dish because the evidence was eaten. Restaurants lose the ability to call it theft if the prices aren’t up front.

71. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

@Mary Marsala with Fries: OMG…we are one in the same. I swear you had me laughing out loud in my cube! I’d do the SAME thing tho…

72. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

@Harlan: Amen…WTF RU KIDDING?…lol

73. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

@KarenUhOh: I was drinking water when i read that..WAS is the key word. Its on my desk now..

74. Scottey says:

@MissNikki: Yeah, I’m right there with you. The entire thing is redonkulous!

75. jghitzert says:

@Jory: Jory, New York has a shit load of rivals these days. Portland, San Fran, Chicago, Minneapolis have been kicking some Culinary ass. Chitown is the center of that whole molecular gastronomy. Hell even Las Vegas is giving the big apple a run for its money.

Oh and Mr. Know it all truffles ain’t shrooms dude different family of fungi.

76. jghitzert says:

@augieland: the market demands you use paragraphs

77. tcp100 says:

@augieland: Whereas I and most of us here probably appreciate your knowledge, 99% of the population probably thinks the idea of “being seriously in the know about truffles” is a ridiculous proposition.

Personally, I do not like “fancy” restaurants, because all you pay for is the privilege to be seen at one. And I’m not saying this as a poor college student. I can afford it; I’ve tried, it; I don’t like it.

I can guarantee you that a little cookin’ shack off the highway in the country somewhere can make you better Mac and Cheese than the stuff the OP had.

I also firmly believe that nobody orders truffles without at least part of the reason behind it being “Hey, I’m ordering truffles, and they’re expensive.” That is, if the price of truffles went down to nothing, I bet you wouldn’t see them on menus at fancy establishment, “culinary value” be damned.

In short, very, very few people go to restaurants like this because the food quality is better or worth the price. It’s absolutely not. They go there to see and be seen, and to broadcast that they have money to burn. Period.

The OP was out of place. Most of the restaurant’s regular patrons probably would be embarrassed if the bill was UNDER $100 for two people, not upset that it was expensive.

78. Trackback says:

Lydia Alcock’s bank statement People, always check your bank statements. Eighteen-year-old Lydia Alcock was checking her Visa statement online when she saw that her off-peak Metro-North ticket from Grand Central to Goldens Bridge cost $23,148,855,308,184,500.

79. Trackback says:

One of the missions of Shitshow Week 2009: Find the biggest ripoff on an NYC menu. Every day we’ll pit at least two reader-recommended rip offs against each other. On Friday, the winners of the four winners will face off. Have a really good ripoff to recommend? We’re listening.

80. Trackback says:

[photo via Consumerist] One of the missions of Shitshow Week 2009: Find the biggest rip off on an NYC menu. Every day for the last week we’ve pitted reader recommended rip offs against one another, and now the winners face off.