Walmart Replaces Smocks With Target-Style Uniform

Walmart will replace its employee’s trademark smocks with navy shirts and khaki pants.

Kat writes:

“My neighbor is a department manager at Wal-Mart. Apparently the company has hired some bigwig that used to work at Target, and in January they are ditching the smocks – all employees (including salaried managers) will be wearing navy shirts and khaki pants.”

That’s great news. Those smocks really offend our liberal sensibilities and concept of modern style. Carter administration – out, secular hedonism – in. All hail Tar-Wal.

The only question remaining: who gets to wear the totenkopf polos? — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. RumorsDaily says:

Aren’t they going to look just like the guys at Best Buy then?

2. benfoldsfour says:

Let the new regime begin!!!

3. Amry says:

I read an article about this a month or so ago – the article said they were testing this in some stores around the country right now with plans to roll out to the entire company next year. The uniform update was intended to go along with store remodels and new merchandise offerings as Wal-Mart attempts to update its image and become more “hip”.

Because, you know, polos tucked into khakis are all the rage these days.

4. etinterrapax says:

Maybe Improv Everywhere will smell this opportunity, too. Although unlike Best Buy, I doubt anyone at Wal-Mart would notice anything amiss.

5. homerjay says:

C’mon Ben. Leave SOME of the obvious jokes for the commenters!

6. acambras says:

Hah! In some school districts, that’s the kids’ uniform — khaki pants and navy polos.

7. mrbenning says:

I bet all of those folks making 6-7 dollars an hour are real excited about having to go out and buy new clothes to go to work!

8. aka Cat says:

Oh goody. So now Wal-Mart employees, who already need foodstamps to get by, will have to purchase khakis and polos just to keep their crummy jobs.

9. non-meat-stick says:

Can they get this uniform in bulk from Sam’s Club?

10. feralparakeet says:

But.. the smocks made all the fat girls who work there semi-bearable to look at. Polo shirts really, really exacerbate the ‘muffin top’ problem. It’s not like I shop there more than every 2 or 3 months to begin with, but seriously, the customers’ fat rolls are enough. Do I have to be subjected to the cashiers’ and stock girls’ nastiness as well?

11. Law-Vol says:

I tipped about this a while back. I think the post was “Why Target Kicks Wal-Mart’s Ass.” Glad to see the folks at Wally-World are actually listening. Next thing you know, they’ll start mopping the floor and labeling the shelves. Imagine THAT!

12. At least it’s not tube/tank tops and culottes/shorts.

13. AngeloSchwartzJr says:

Could this possibly be tied to the robbery committed by men in WAL-MART smocks?

Men Wearing Walmart Smocks Rob Store of $300,000 posted on Monday?

Hah!

14. Anonymously says:

I love the photoshop job on the picture. It’s so bad, it’s good.

15. bambino says:

I think I heard somewhere that the decision to tuck in the shirt will be left up to the individual employee. Expect lots of oversized wanna-be Crime Mobb Blue T’s flailing about.