Prevent Wii TV Breakage With Fishing Line

If you don’t want this to happen:

Try this:

wiimoterepair.jpgThat’s right, tie some fishing line around the strap, like a man. The kind of man your dad was. He hooked up crystal radios to his bed springs. He didn’t wait for Sleepy’s to issue an officially licensed bed spring patch.

It ain’t carved from Zelda’s hyperpolygnal ass and handed down by the hands of many small Japanese gods, but it’ll do the trick. — BEN POPKEN

Previously: Wii Breaks More TVs than Elvis

Comments

1. schvitzatura says:

Spiderwire will save your plasma from a collision with a Wii controller, whoda thunk?

2. adamondi says:

I still go with the best advice to prevent Wii TV disaster: Don’t be a spaz. The Wiimote is awfully easy to hold onto when one does not become a total spaz and fling it across the room.

3. But don’t your palms get sweaty, and thus, lubricate them enough to have the control whip about?

4. I’d like to see a video of this kind of thing happening and not just pictures of the aftermath…then we can determine if this is a design flaw in the Wiimote, or people just being spaztastic morons.

It’s interesting to note that the rest of that LCD screen functions just fine though…A CRT would be completely usless, then again, if you could throw a Wiimote hard enough to shatter a CRT screen, you’re probably a ninja.

5. bluegus32 says:

My question is this — how long until some @sshole sues Nintendo for this?

6. pestie says:

crayonshinobi, as one who once tried to break an old TV screen with a potato cannon, I can attest to the accuracy of that statement. Eventually someone came by with a shotgun, which did the job quite nicely, and revealed that the front of the CRT was about 1″ thick.

7. juri squared says:

This is a good idea that I’ll have to try out!

The thing that’s kept us from flinging our controllers at our (thankfully CRT) television is a pair of controller gloves such as these. They come in a lot of colors, and I’ve seen a special Zelda pack of them at Toys ‘R’ Us and Target.

The controller gloves are silicone, fit very tightly, and provide a much better grip. The lanyards they come with are even more flimsy than the Wii standard ones, though – I broke one just by fiddling with it.

The only other thing is that it’ll be a pain to change the batteries, since they are difficult to put on/remove – but it’s a small price to pay for grippy, color-coded controllers.

8. adamondi says:

Bon Jour, Pee Wee says:
    “But don’t your palms get sweaty, and thus, lubricate them enough to have the control whip about?”

All the more reason to not be a spaz with the Wiimote. Also, if your palms are getting sweaty enough to cause the thing to fly out of your hand, perhaps it is time to put the thing down and go outside.

9. alhypo says:

As a musician I am very conscience of the potential for repetitive motion injuries. If people are really throwing these controllers that hard (which seems doubtful) then they are risking long-term muscle and tendon damage. When I’m playing video games I try to keep my arms/shoulder/fingers relaxed at least 95% of the time. It is important that your muscles not fight against each other. I think the injury potential for the Wii might be particularly high since you emulate motions that are normally associated with manipulating physical objects. Without the actual object to disburse momentum the user’s tendons must absorb all the energy. That is not good. Try to relax.

10. Nintendude31 says:

If you wear the strap PROPERLY, DO NOT let go of the Wii-mote, & DO NOT swing like you’re retarded, this WILL NOT happen. I did a test on the straps(the original, not the newer, stronger straps. The old straps ripped at almost 200 pounds of force!