Free Doritos In North Carolina

“A cargo container that apparently fell from a ship washed up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina today and spilled thousands of bags of Doritos brand tortilla chips on the beach. Scavengers collected the chips, which were apparently still fresh due to their airtight packaging. It was unknown which ship had lost the cargo or to what port it was bound.”

We know if this happened near us we’d get stuck with Cool Ranch. Blech. —MEGHANN MARCO

Spilled Doritos chips wash up on Outer Banks [Pilot online]

Comments

1. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Is this what people are bragging about when I see all of these OBX stickers on their Land Rovers? Come to this hot beach tourist trap, we have free Doritos! Guaranteed to make you fit better into your swimsuit!

2. Mike_ says:

My family used to vacation in Duck, NC (next town north of Kitty Hawk) before it got crazy-nuts out there. I remember it being pretty awesome, but last time I went (late-90′s), we sat in a 3-hour traffic jam waiting to get across the bridge onto the Outer Banks. And that was before free Doritos.

3. thatabbygirl says:

In Europe, they call cool ranch chips “Cool American” chips. I bet this is just an attempt by Europe to return them to their rightful owners – all the cool Americans in NC.

4. RandomHookup says:

Where’s that pic of the overturned Heineken truck? Need something to wash down those things.

5. nikoniko says:

I wonder if researchers will use them to track ocean currents like they did with the 60,000 Nikes that went into the drink back in 1990.

6. Chione says:

@segfault–
    The Outer Banks was not always so, um…touristy.
    I first went to the Outer Banks um, I can’t even remember, I was so little!
    I loved the Outer Banks before it was cool.
    But yeah, it’s so touristy now it’s not as nice.
    -tear-

7. Trai_Dep says:

Reason #423 why it sucks to be in North Carolina – in Miami, the floatsom are carefully bundled bales of “happy powder”.

(snort) Doritos…

hehe: “snort!”

8. Frank Grimes says:

In 1992 it was actually a container full of Rubber Duckies.

9. schvitzatura says:

Ingredients: sea salt, dinoflagellates

10. JeffreyK says:

Wal-Mart Nazi shirts washing ashore would far more entertaining.

11. adamondi says:

Doritos of any flavor = blech. I used to like them, but in the last 9 or 10 years, I have grown to hate Doritos. They taste like chemicals rather than food.

12. Clare says:

Delicious, cheesy chemicals.

13. My luck, they would be Fiery Habanero flavored.

14. holy christ, those habanero puppies are hot. i don’t see any of my beloved-but-impossible-to-find pepperjack bags out there, though. so no vacation in nc this year.

15. mellie3 says:

I haven’t been to the Outer Banks since, oh, 1985, but I remember the area around Nags Head always being pretty crappy-touristy. My family always went farther south, around Waves or thereabouts, where it was still (by definition) touristy – I mean, we were all there renting houses by the week – but quieter. And there were no free Doritos back in my day, that’s for darn sure.

16. The Habanero’s are way hot. And I even like spicy hot food.

17. Triteon says:

They taste like chemicals rather than food.
    But chemicals is tasty!
    How long has it been since bales of marijuana washed up on the outer banks? You know, munchies and all…

18. citking says:

Thank goodness they weren’t Funyuns. No one like Funyuns. It does look like a healthy mix of Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch. The assortment is a nice added touch!

19. nacoran says:

It’s certainly better than hot pants, although Captain McAllister might disagree.

20. BonnieAntiphus says:

There is tightly controlled tracking of food packaging such as this from factory door to store shelf based on the manufacturer’s lot number printed on each bag. If the company isn’t releasing this information, then there is probably something very shady going on.